Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
wireless flash triggers

I know this is a tried and true topic, but I figured I'd bring it up once more! Thank you in advance for your advice, and for bearing with me.

I'm looking at either

Cactus V5, Cowboystudio NPT-04, or Yongnuo RF-603.

I'm hoping some people have used any of these and can offer feedback with regard to PENTAX gear. I shoot with a K-5 and AF-540, so feedback from anyone who has this gear would be amazing.

Specifically, I'm wondering about range, reliability, battery life, and burst firing. I know the last point is a little more dependent on the flash as well, so it'd be great to know what your flash settings were to get good burst rates (I'm guess somewhere below the 1/4 - 1/8 power range). My primary uses are for portraiture and wedding photography.

Any other advice is always welcome!

09-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have any of the ones you listed, I have an interfit one:

Interfit INT492 Hot Shoe and Strobe Flash Trigger Set INT492 B&H

I have used the interfit one on both my K5 and Kx with good success - range I have had it out to between 60~70' and it has worked with no problems, I have had no misfires and have also had great success in burst firing with it.

The reviews on this unit seems to be favorable, and it is a great price...

09-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have Cactus V5. Been ussing them with K20, K7 and Mamiya 645, I have found no issues with them as yet. Combined with metz AF2 58 and youngo 560's flash units.
The V5 is manual only no pttl and they will not work on the studio strobes I have. I also have Cactus V4 these will work on my portable studio strobes. You can piggy back V4 onto V5, am yet to try this config on porta strobes. Have not really tried burst settings with the V5. However I tend to agree with 1/4 1/8. Keep in mind reletive to sync speed and distance to subject and what you are attempting to shoot you may require much higher ISO,s.
I did come across the following on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ISHOOT-OFF-CAMERA-Wireless-Radio-Remote-Flash-Trigger-R-/270695534491?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item3f06b60f9b

They state that these are for nikon and canon only, however if you scroll down and have a look at the pin config of these triggers to me it looks like they may accept pentax pttl.
I sent these guys an email enquiring if they will function with pentax am yet to receive reply. They also seem somewhat expensive.
Cheers
Shane
09-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have 3 of them. would buy again.

see this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/128986-...er-review.html

09-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #5

I've used the cowboy studio ones without a problem.
09-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Unlikely, but can any of these support HSS? I feel like I've read here on PF (can't find where) that Pentax disables HSS if the flash isn't directly mounted to the body. Any way I can get around that with the triggers you guys use?
09-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neurocyclist Quote
Unlikely, but can any of these support HSS?
The one i have can not and I am not sure of any that can...

---
09-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

HSS requires TTL support plus a flash that supports FocalPlane Sync... in short - Not without lots of stuffing around with Pentax or using expensive Sigma's etc...

As for triggers - Don't look at the 603's - they wont work with Pentax as they are TTL based triggers - TTL in Canikon land that is.
For Pentax use, you need to buy the RF602's...

05-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #9

Hahnel Combi TF Remote Control & Flash Trigger

I have just received a Hahnel Combi TF Remote Control & Flash Trigger and it works perfectly with my Pentax K5 (so presumably would be OK with the K5II, etc) using a Godox TT520 Speedlite.

No TTL though.

pnmis