Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Already a problem with new K5

Look, the damn thing froze, and the only way out was to remove the battery. You think this is acceptable performance for a camera in this range? There are more problems with Pentax than you can shake a stick at. They have some real issues with QC! Just look around this site. If it's not mirror flops it's stains, not stains it's dust, now you can add freezes to the list. My K7 was returned once, and repaired once. My 55-300 lens elements were poorly aligned, and my remote control arrived dead as a door nail. What does this tell you? I love the K5, but the damn thing has to work.

Last edited by Tony3d; 09-03-2011 at 03:37 PM.
09-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Send it back and get a Canikon, it's the only way you will ever be happy.
09-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoy your Nikon.
Boris is right, you will never be happy with your Pentax. You will always be trying to find problems with it, and will probably break it in the process.
09-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I wish I had a K5, but was the SR running or set as ON through all that? In a hardware level it is possible that the camera does a quick self check to switch from Regular back to Live and the SR if on would miss a beat due as you shoot in only in Regular mode and the camera quickly switches back to Live all the time and the sensor happened to have been shook during one of the cycles. I would think I could momentarily get fooled and come up with an error. I've had one time when my SR was on on my K20D and the snapped the camera down too fast while on the monopod... It does work with the monopod very well, but not when I thumped it. It made a jitter sound as if the SR system could not right itself. Resetting the camera by removing the battery and it never ever happened again... minding I never repeat that again.

09-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Enjoy your Nikon.
Boris is right, you will never be happy with your Pentax. You will always be trying to find problems with it, and will probably break it in the process.
Look, the damn thing froze, and the only way out was to remove the battery. You think this is acceptable performance for a camera in this range? There are more problems with Pentax than you can shake a stick at. They have some real issues with QC! Just look around this site. If it's not mirror flops it's stains, not stains it's dust, now you can add freezes to the list. My K7 was returned once, and repaired once. My 55-300 lens elements were poorly aligned, and my remote control arrived dead as a door nail. What does this tell you? I love the K5, but the damn thing has to work.
09-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well it's not nice to have it on a new device, but it is electronics. Some suggest it could be from a fresh full (little overloaded) battery. Just use it and it will probably not a huge thing in futere.
09-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am holding on to my K7, just ordered K5 for work, will see how that goes.
My reply to this post is about as useless as the second and third are, so my apologies to the OP.
And yes, for that coin, any malfunction can be frustrating.

09-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
My K7 was returned once, and repaired once.
Out of curiosity, what was wrong with the K7?.
09-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Enjoy your Nikon.
Pretty much,

I love my K5, but I understand that sometimes it doesn't work out for some people.

Just switch over and you wouldn't have to deal with these Pentax headaches
09-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Out of curiosity, what was wrong with the K7?.
The first K7's mirror would stick. It would not return everytime. It went back, and the second one was fine for about 3 months, then developed an issue with focus. It would rarely focus properly when set at anything under 200 ISO, and shot wide open. They replaced a board. It was fine after that. I'm wondering if I should upgrade to the latest firmware?
09-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm one of the lucky ones with a problem free K-5s, but I think its quite clear at this point that the K-5 does have some QC issues, and to dismiss or deny that problem doesnt help Pentax in the long run. It's an issue that they need to fix and I hope it is one of the first things Ricoh would adddress. Having said that, its bad luck on the OP's part and I do hope that they would replace it with a fully functioning unit, the K-5 is a wonderful camera if you get a good unit.
09-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
I'm one of the lucky ones with a problem free K-5s, but I think its quite clear at this point that the K-5 does have some QC issues, and to dismiss or deny that problem doesnt help Pentax in the long run. It's an issue that they need to fix and I hope it is one of the first things Ricoh would adddress. Having said that, its bad luck on the OP's part and I do hope that they would replace it with a fully functioning unit, the K-5 is a wonderful camera if you get a good unit.
Yes, I totally agree. I have no issues with the camera, just the many issues the camera has. So far I haven't been able to reproduce it. Do you think I should upgrade the firmware?
09-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Yes, I totally agree. I have no issues with the camera, just the many issues the camera has. So far I haven't been able to reproduce it. Do you think I should upgrade the firmware?
I would do it. They don`t issue FW updates just for the hell of it.
09-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You should return this k5 and get a new one for 1199 if it hasn't been 30 days
09-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Otis says there are some that are just not meant to be Squirrels. No matter what the circumstance, it is too hot, too cold, or too "just right" for them. The tree is always too tall or too short, too leafy or two thin, too fat or too skinny. When they get peanuts, they always get the ones with one side of the hull empty...or no peanuts inside at all. Their coats are too heavy or not heavy enough, their teeth too sharp and cut their own lips or too dull and won't crack open a walnut.
Otis always sends these Squirrels packing...he knows they are "needy" but has no time to babysit them, and no stomach for it either. Some become Bunny Rabbits, others little Sparrows......and Otis guesses that they are just as miserable as they were as Squirrels. Born under a "Dark Moon" is what he claims is the cause of this......wandering the earth in misery all their days, and never finding relief.

God bless you and Good Luck from Otis...........Patience has its limits, so does Otis.