Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-5 SR icon lit up all the time

That's what i'm seeing with my brand new K-5. It goes out for a half second to a second when i move the camera a large amount, then it comes back on. This is without the shutter being pressed or even touched. Upgraded firmware to 1.11, no difference. Battery usage seems a bit high compared to my properly functional K-7.

Does anyone have any suggestions? i have another week to return the thing, but it's in my hand and i like the little beast.

09-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It lights up when the camera stops moving. Until you mentioned it, I've never noticed it. Are we saying that after 13000 photos, something really is wrong with my camera? The K5 and K7 are two completely different cameras.

09-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Maybe yes...
Mine doesn't do that. And we shouldn't ignore all issues when one points us to it.

Ignorance is bliss.
09-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It lights up when the camera stops moving. Until you mentioned it, I've never noticed it. Are we saying that after 13000 photos, something really is wrong with my camera? The K5 and K7 are two completely different cameras.

Hm, so it's normal for the SR icon to light up all the time even without the shutter being half-pressed? It's not the mode of actuation that the manual describes. It describes operation of the SR as off until shutter is half pressed, and then when the icon lights up it's ready to shoot, just like with the K-7. Mebbe i'm understanding it wrong.

What are other folks' experience with this? Am i seeing normal or abnormal behavior? (cue here for that scene from Young Frankenstein when Marty Feldman names the brain he ended up giving Gene Wilder to put into the Monster: Abby .... Normal).

09-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes this is normal, for as long as the SR system is ready. This means that as soon as you shake or tilt the camera without depressing the shutter button half way, the icon will turn off as the SR system will need to re-arm. The SR icon will remain on in the viewfinder for as long as your light meter is active.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes this is normal, for as long as the SR system is ready. This means that as soon as you shake or tilt the camera without depressing the shutter button half way, the icon will turn off as the SR system will need to re-arm. The SR icon will remain on in the viewfinder for as long as your light meter is active.
o that's a relief, and i won't have to stand in front of the salesguys at Lozeau making a fool of myself.

So i take it this would be part of the reason the K-5 runs down the battery faster than the K-7?

i guess i better set the light meter to switch off faster. Used to keeping it on for 30s.

Thanks Adam and everyone.