Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-5 Screen and polarized glasses

This is in the for-what-it's-worth category. I took my K-5 out on a boat today and wore my new polarized sunglasses. It seems the rear screen on the K-5 is polarized. Take a portrait orientation photo and review it, still in portrait mode and the screen goes blank. I had to either chimp the image in landscape orientation or tilt my head 90 degrees.

09-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All LCD's are the same from calculator displays to computer monitors (not always at 90 degrees though). Bit annoying especially with the camera LCD but I tend to look through the viewfinder without glasses and just have to tilt my head down a little bit more to chimp.
09-04-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

YK, I wear polarized sunglasses all the time, and was reading this post was going....what?? I have a glass LCD protector over my screen - that must be canceling the effect I just did a big photo shoot in bright sunlight today (oh my goodness, I've got to start convincing people not to do noon shoots! evening, people, evening!), no LCD polarizing issues!
09-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is how LCD screens work...
It is by aligning long bipolar polymeres in an electric field between two glasses.
The effect is that the light passing through is polarized.

It is explained in more detail here: TFT LCD display or monitor

Cheers, Bert

09-05-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Does the optical viewfinder still work with polarized sunglasses on?

I guess it will eliminate chimping...
09-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks folks. Didn't know that all LCDs worked that way. The optical viewfinder does work fine with the sunglasses on. For years I've worn self-darkening glasses, which aren't polarized. For the five minutes or so it took me to figure out what the situation was, I worried that my K-5 was broken. I've only had it a few months.
09-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Try to put a polarizing filter on the lens and then look through the VF with your glasses on.
09-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #8

I can't even read the LCD instruments on my car with polarized sun glasses on...really, officer!

09-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riebs Quote
I can't even read the LCD instruments on my car with polarized sun glasses on...really, officer!
I notice this with my CD player/radio in my vehicle. When I have polarizing sunglasses on, the display just fades away.
09-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Riebs Quote

We don't take right kindly to your kind around here, son. There's a nice jail cell a waitin' with your name on it.
09-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

look on the bright side. in landscape orientation, the image will be twice as bright relative to ambient light compared to not wearing polarized sunglasses. you could use the lcd in either orientation with polarized sunglasses if you added a quarter wave retarder like they use in circular polarizers. Retarder Film - Edmund Optics
09-07-2011, 06:21 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

The optical viewfinder has a bit of an uneven haze when viewed with my polarized sunglasses. It's too bright outside, and my prescription sunglasses let me focus, so I'll suffer for the cause.
The viewfinder is still completely usable, it just looks like there's vaseline on your front element.