Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
So your telling me if this were your camera locking up, you would just happily continue shooting away with your beloved, yet crippled $1400.00 Pentax K5? Somehow I seriously doubt it, and if so well, I feel sorry for you. God bless the fan boys! Amen!
I'm just predicting that you are in the middle of a self fulfilling prophecy. I predict that you are going to search for any camera's Achilles Heel, and then bash the thing for having one.
You've spent the past couple of weeks pissing and moaning, and posting exactly the same drivel, on both this forum and DPR. You, all by yourself, predicted that you wouldn't have a working camera if you bought a Pentax, and now that you have a Pentax, you have a camera that you seem to have managed to make fail.
I'm not seeing this as a surprise, I figured you would find some way to break your camera out of the box.

Out of curiosity, how long did you have LiveView engaged for? What was the temperature you were building up inside the camera by using LiveView for an extended time period?

You do realize they put optical viewfinders on these things because they mean for the user to look through the camera, and if you want a camera that can sustain extended periods of LiveView use, you should buy a camera that doesn't have a viewfinder at all?
You do realize that you might just possibly have abused your camera by making it do something that it just shouldn't be made to do?
Perhaps I'm a happy user (which you seem to automatically classify as a fanboy) because I don't "test" my camera to destruction just to have the satisfaction of breaking it.

Here's a metaphor for you. Many people, myself included, can sprint for short distances. Olympic caliber athletes can manage it for a few hundred yards.
Make them sprint at top speed for a mile by whipping them every time they slow down a bit, and see how many are still alive at the end of it.

Here's another one. An internal combustion engine will have a maximum performance speed. It's called the "redline". Exceed it at your own risk.
Now, I've owned many high performance motorcycles, and have exceeded the redline briefly on all of them with no damage.
However, I wouldn't expect the thing to not fly apart if I put the engine a thousand RPM over the redline and held it there. In fact, I would expect that through my actions I would have a piston impacted in my butt.

And consider that your camera just maybe isn't capable of the type of usage you are expecting from it. Consider also, that perhaps no DSLR is.

09-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fanboys united...

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm not seeing this as a surprise, I figured you would find some way to break your camera out of the box.
3d Tony,

Did you use the tiny screwdriver like I suggested? It was meant to be a joke. I suggest that you save the pieces and send it back to service.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Out of curiosity, how long did you have LiveView engaged for? What was the temperature you were building up inside the camera by using LiveView for an extended time period?
I am not sure about the manual that comes with the K-5, but the Magic Lantern Guide for the K-7 specifically states that the camera may act up if overheated by using Live View continuously. I suspect that is true for many DSLR's. (Remember that one theory on sensor stains involves overheating. Overheating = not good.)

I may be on the wrong side of this but I am enjoying the entertainment.

Also, since Wheatfield brought up some analogies, let me offer this one although it has been stated before: These things are almost more computer than camera. Have you ever had to restart your PC or Mac, or had a program crash?

Glad to see that you are seemingly on your way to enjoying it even though (sh)it happens.
09-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Wheatfield has a point here.
I remember I had my K20 in wintertime showing the grid pattern on the images. I quickly learned that was enough to wait for a couple of minutes and the pattern would disappear, or I could heat up the sensor with LV.
I don't have any issues with my K-5, but I also didn't look too hard. Just the common sense: Sensor dust, AF accuracy and speed, WB, FPS.
I found that when I activate the lens correction, I could not machine gun more than 21 JPEG. Strangely enough, I could still reach 21 RAW.
So what? (actually, it seems logical now)
I purchased my camera from Singapore (rather good price, but small chance for free service). Should I tremor on every thread with K-5 Issues? I enjoy it, and caress it and use it. And enjoy the photography that K-5 has brought back to me.

Octav
09-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote
Wheatfield has a point here.
I remember I had my K20 in wintertime showing the grid pattern on the images. I quickly learned that was enough to wait for a couple of minutes and the pattern would disappear, or I could heat up the sensor with LV.
I don't have any issues with my K-5, but I also didn't look too hard. Just the common sense: Sensor dust, AF accuracy and speed, WB, FPS.
I found that when I activate the lens correction, I could not machine gun more than 21 JPEG. Strangely enough, I could still reach 21 RAW.
So what? (actually, it seems logical now)
I purchased my camera from Singapore (rather good price, but small chance for free service). Should I tremor on every thread with K-5 Issues? I enjoy it, and caress it and use it. And enjoy the photography that K-5 has brought back to me.

Octav
That is probably because instead of just saving the RAW file you were also waiting for the camera to Convert to the JPG and save that as well. Even if the camera does not Save the RAW file, it still has to create the JPG from it. It then just discards the RAW information.

09-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Yes, think that's the reason.
09-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a pretty simple shooter, don't look for problems but have thoroughly checked out my K5 and find no faults...apparent. After the initial check out, I am content to shoot and enjoy, as long as it works I am happy. I don't get on edge, if it breaks I will get it fixed or get another one. I think a lot of the paranoia created here, rightly or wrongly, has taken the joy from a few. That is not going to happen to me....if I need some problems in life, I have Mrs Rupert who is always willing, and of course, Otis. He still reminds me of the $700 wiring harness his Army destroyed on my Jeep........but that was before I signed that contract to feed them twice a day. No problems since then!

Regards...go out and shoot something...do it today! Today will never come again.........
09-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #22

FYI, I have a K5 that would do some very strange things after exiting live view.... the battery indicator would flash that it was empty (when completely charged)...it would freeze shortly thereafter..occasionally strange noises when exiting...I never use it for any more than 1 photo or so. So the heating up thing isn't the issue. I've sent the sucker to get fixed (again, I might add-1st K5 had sensor stain and replaced, 2nd K5 had sensor stain and was repaired) And even though I've had a hell of a lot of bad luck in the K5 dept. I LOVE IT!
01-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #23

I'm looking at this thread b/c I have recently experienced the same issue that the original poster had, with LiveView locking up on my new (5 day old) K-5 and freezing the camera. The ambient temperature indoors, according to our thermostat, was 70F, though it's possible it was warmer in spots such as the kitchen. I had just shown my son how to operate the camera. Before activating LiveView, he'd captured perhaps 4 images using the regular viewfinder to frame his shots. After engaging LiveView, he tried to activate the shutter button just once, and the camera froze. I could hear the whirring sound when I put my ear to the body. None of the buttons or functions worked, and shutting the camera off using the switch also had no effect -- the LCD display at the top of the camera still had data on it. I went online immediately to search for this issue. After I found this thread I took the battery out, and when I replaced it, the mirror clicked into place. Based on what I've read here, this is not a "normal" situation. I hope not, as I do want to keep the camera. I've just called my retailer as they have a 15-day return/exchange policy. They have also mentioned they will talk to their Pentax rep about the issue. I am hoping that the next body won't malfunction in this way.

01-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #24
Pentaxian

There was a bug, described in the link below, that's been fixed in the latest firmware, v1.12 (although not mentioned in the release notes), where you would get a lockup in LV if you used the green button in a low light environment. So ensure your firmware is up to date.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/167780-using-m-lens-lv-k-5-a.html

Dan

Last edited by dosdan; 01-26-2012 at 09:48 PM.
01-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
There was a bug, described in the link below, that's been fixed in the latest firmware, v1.12 (although not mentioned in the release notes), where you would get a lockup in LV if you used the green button in a low light environment. So ensure your firmware is up to date.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/167780-using-m-lens-lv-k-5-a.html

Dan
Thanks for the tip, dosdan. Updating the firmware to v1.12 was one of the first things I did when I bought the camera on the weekend.

I took a look at the link you provided and it may be the same or a different issue; in contrast to the other threads where the problem occurs with M and FA lenses, I was using the DA 18-55mm WR lens.

Because this is my first dSLR, these first few days we've been shooting in 'green' mode to see how the camera sets up shots in different environments.

So the issue I described occurred with firmware v1.12, DA autofocus lens, 'green' mode, LiveView ... anyway the store did not have any boxed K-5 bodies in stock tonight; as long as I have this copy, I will continue to try replicating the issue to see if I can put my finger on other parameters that might be causing this to happen.
01-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anthologie Quote
So the issue I described occurred with firmware v1.12, DA autofocus lens, 'green' mode, LiveView ..
No, this was a problem using the green button on the back in LV, not the green exposure mode on the top left of the body.

Dan
01-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was the original poster. I sent my first K5 back to B/H, and the new one has worked fine. No problems at all.
01-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
I was the original poster. I sent my first K5 back to B/H, and the new one has worked fine. No problems at all.
Glad to hear it, Tony3d. My local store had a boxed K-5 body in stock today so I, too did the exchange. It even sounds different ... quieter mirror. Hoping for the best with the new one.
01-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm sure it will be fine. The K5 is a great camera. I'm set as far as a body goes.
01-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #30

I like happy endings.

Enjoy your K5's. It's a great camera.