Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have to admit...

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
The problem only came up when exiting Liveview. After shooting a shot in Liveview using the TAv mode, rotate the back dial, then press the play button. This seemed to cause my camera to freeze more often than just hitting the Liveview button to exit. Although it did freeze using either method.
I have to admit that I don't use Liveview very often. But why did you rotate the rear dial after shooting the shot? Just guessing, but I would probably press the LV button to exit LV then the Play button to see what I shot. What does rotating the rear dial achieve?

09-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Well, I went out to take some pictures today again, and again, everything just clicked.
For fun, I bought one of those goofy 20 dollar Holga lenses that have the Pentax mount.
100% plastic, but for a metal screw that keeps the lens from unscrewing completely when focusing. I wonder if I could make a macro lens....
Anyway, I'm just having some fun, some of you lot have your shorts on way to tight.
Post your results! I have a Holga, its really fun to work with but I'm interested in how it's going to translate in the DSLR world. And for the price, its almost to easy to just jump on it just to have it in the old photobag.
09-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I have to admit that I don't use Liveview very often. But why did you rotate the rear dial after shooting the shot? Just guessing, but I would probably press the LV button to exit LV then the Play button to see what I shot. What does rotating the rear dial achieve?
You can rotate the rear wheel on the preview of the shot to hold it. I did this all the time on my K7. Either way my camera would freeze at random using either method.
09-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #49
Veteran Member

OK...

You can rotate the rear wheel on the preview of the shot to hold it. I did this all the time on my K7. Either way my camera would freeze at random using either method.
Good luck with your replacement. Hope that won't happen.

09-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Good luck with your replacement. Hope that won't happen.
Thanks. I'll keep you posted. This next should be fine.
09-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #51
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem only came up when exiting Liveview. After shooting a shot in Liveview using the TAv mode, rotate the back dial, then press the play button. This seemed to cause my camera to freeze more often than just hitting the Liveview button to exit. Although it did freeze using either method.
Neither of those procedures causes my K5 to freeze, glad to say.
09-07-2011, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter

Lovely...

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Unfortunately there are also some people who take it personally when they don't even own a K-5 to begin with...

To all K-5 and other new camera newbies, my suggestion is don't go starting threads at the slightest notice purporting supposed problems and getting overly paranoid about things before you actually read the bloody manual from start to finish and take the necessary time to familiarize yourself with the camera. If there is really a genuine problem, get it exchanged or send the camera in for service.

It would help to use the search button and read past threads and plentiful posts that may have been discussed earlier at length, instead of starting threads on a whim asking for help or advice just because you don't know wtf is happening. That way, you'll avoid most of the negativity and impatience that might come when newbies pose basic and often stupid questions. As newbies, don't always expect instant answers by posting threads claiming about issues that for the most part might be wholly unfounded or that you probably are not fully aware off. Instead, search judiciously and read up first instead of always expecting to be spoonfed or having your angst reassured. I think it is human nature for others to find this sort of behavior pretty tiring, hence the wall of negativity.
Newbie anxiety is to be expected. When one is anxious, one has a hard time focusing on the manual and if the person is a newbie it might not be obvious what terms they should be using in their search. I think if your dominant response is negativity and impatience with such newbies, a vacation from the forum might help you feel better. I'm sure the newbies would feel better too...
09-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Mine's working fine except for the thing behind the viewfinder...

09-08-2011, 05:10 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
When one is anxious, one has a hard time focusing on the manual and if the person is a newbie it might not be obvious what terms they should be using in their search.
That, and I don't think that newbie questions are the real problem. As I understand the OP and other posters, the "problem" are threads about the K-5 losing a lens release button, having the mirror flop problem, freezing up, having a stuck shutter, etc.

Unfortunately no parts of the manual are going to be helpful in such cases.

... a vacation from the forum might help you feel better. I'm sure the newbies would feel better too...
That is something that the complainers about the complainers don't get. They don't have to read the complaint threads. Their forum fatigue is self-inflicted. There is an easy solution -- avoid the complaint threads or take more breaks -- but unfortunately it seems to be impossible for some people to a) acknowledge that their happiness with their camera does not mean that everyone else has to be happy to, and b) respect people who see a benefit in communicating with others about their legitimate problems.
09-08-2011, 05:29 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Newbie anxiety is to be expected. When one is anxious, one has a hard time focusing on the manual and if the person is a newbie it might not be obvious what terms they should be using in their search. I think if your dominant response is negativity and impatience with such newbies, a vacation from the forum might help you feel better. I'm sure the newbies would feel better too...
Thank you for your suggestion but you're completely mistaken to think my response is negative nor impatient. And by the same token, who the hell are you to tell anyone to take a vacation?

Last edited by creampuff; 09-08-2011 at 05:38 AM.
09-08-2011, 05:49 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
That, and I don't think that newbie questions are the real problem. As I understand the OP and other posters, the "problem" are threads about the K-5 losing a lens release button, having the mirror flop problem, freezing up, having a stuck shutter, etc.

Unfortunately no parts of the manual are going to be helpful in such cases.
Certainly the included user's manual isn't going to cover the above issues. However, the dozens of existing threads specifically about about K-5 stains, mirror flops, freezing, etc. that actually provie quite a bit of useful information on those topics.
09-08-2011, 06:18 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I do not find the complaint threads offensive. More informative than offensive. We need to know of failures and defects, even if we don't have them in our own K5. I assume that Ricoh is monitoring these Forums, and if they see that no one has problems, they won't be inclined to step up the QC, likewise, when they see much dissatisfaction, even though it may be a limited number of complaints, it will encourage them to make changes that benefit us all.

The only part that bothers me is that it often appears that the majority of K5's have serious problems....and this is just not factual based on the numbers here and at other sites. It is just unavoidable to get that perception, unfortunately.

Regards!
09-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #58
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Mine's working fine except for the thing behind the viewfinder...
That has been a common problem for me across brands.
09-08-2011, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

That is something that the complainers about the complainers don't get. They don't have to read the complaint threads. Their forum fatigue is self-inflicted. There is an easy solution -- avoid the complaint threads or take more breaks -- but unfortunately it seems to be impossible for some people to a) acknowledge that their happiness with their camera does not mean that everyone else has to be happy to, and b) respect people who see a benefit in communicating with others about their legitimate problems.
This entire forum (and the equivalent at DPR) are little more than complaint forums, so it's pretty hard to not read complaint threads.
Even this thread, which was started as anything other than a complaint thread has been hijacked by people who want to complain.
If people would leave the threads that are not about complaints alone, then you would have a legitimate point to make, but when seemingly every thread devolves to a complaint thread, it's pretty hard to not read them.
This thread, for example, started as a positive thread
By post#5 it had turned into a complaint thread, post#6 turned it into an insult the community thread, and by post#13, it was a lets insult the OP thread, and then it was a pile on the OP thread after that.
In other words, this thread progressed at exactly the same rate as I thought it would when I started it.
I'm not sure if the forum passed the test or failed it, but it's behaviour was very predictable.
It doesn't matter if the thread is a complaint thread or a positive thread, the usual suspects doing the usual things is par for the course.
Post something positive, and you'll get insulted and piled on, just the same way that if you post something negative, you get piled on.
For myself, I'm going to spend another lovely September day shooting pictures with my K5 (a first run camera that works perfectly for me), and I'll try to think kind thoughts for all of you who either can't be happy with your camera or can't bear the thought that another person is happy with their camera.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 09-08-2011 at 09:33 AM.
09-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, it wasn't all bad, Squirrels had a good time in your thread, and advise that in reality, that is all that really matters!

Regards!
Closed Thread