Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Mine's working fine except for the thing behind the viewfinder...

You know I've noticed ALL my cameras malfunction that way

Eric

09-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Mine's working fine except for the thing behind the viewfinder...
That's probably the one thing my wife would be ok with me upgrading
09-08-2011, 06:03 PM - 2 Likes   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Even this thread, which was started as anything other than a complaint thread has been hijacked by people who want to complain.
This thread was clearly started as an implied complaint about negativity. Try to deny that and you'll ridicule yourself.

This thread wasn't hijacked by people who want to complain.:
  1. Questioning the ethics of a thread is not hijacking it.
  2. Speaking for myself, I don't want to complain. But I'll speak up when I see nonsense or unfair things being posted.

If people would leave the threads that are not about complaints alone, then you would have a legitimate point to make, but when seemingly every thread devolves to a complaint thread, it's pretty hard to not read them.
I don't buy that story. I have seen you and others butt in into pure complaint threads. No one forced you into them.

You accuse others to have a compulsion to complain but appear as someone who has a compulsion to complain about complainers. How's that better?

This thread, for example, started as a positive thread.

In other words, this thread progressed at exactly the same rate as I thought it would when I started it.
Which was the reason why you started it?
Come on, who do you think will buy this post rationalisation?

Post something positive, and you'll get insulted and piled on, just the same way that if you post something negative, you get piled on.
Not my experience.

For myself, I'm going to spend another lovely September day shooting pictures with my K5 (a first run camera that works perfectly for me), and I'll try to think kind thoughts for all of you who either can't be happy with your camera or can't bear the thought that another person is happy with their camera.
Who are these people who "can't bear the thought that another person is happy with their camera"?

Really, Wheatfield, really?
09-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Apparently, we have a Class A expert in human psychology at work here. Someone who knows everything there is to know about what motivates people.
It's amazing how many experts the internet has created.
You were the first to fail the exam, Mr. Classless, but take heart, there were a number of people who followed your lead.

09-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Apparently, we have a Class A expert in human psychology at work here. Someone who knows everything there is to know about what motivates people.
If you really mean to be positive, how about not using sarcasm? How did you think that using irony in your OP would not be perceived as mocking complainers?

You were the first to fail the exam, Mr. Classless, but take heart, there were a number of people who followed your lead.
So it was an exam...

Here's a puzzle for you, Wheatfield. In a recent thread someone asks whether they should go for the K-5, because they are slightly irritated by the forum discussions regarding K-5 problems. Everyone without exception recommends the K-5. Then "Mr. Positive" (yourself) comes along and signals that if the OP wanted to look for problems then he suspects that the OP would more likely succeed with a K-5.

Question 1:
Who on earth would buy a camera and then start looking for problems until they found one? (Suggestion: Get this out of your head.)

Question 2: Why would you, just having started a "K-5 positivity thread", butt in and stir up doubts about K-5 issues when everyone else did the right thing and said "Go for it, get one of the best APS-C cameras"?
09-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is a good idea for the occasional post saying that they're having no problems with their K-5. It is natural to post here about a problem, either to seek help, warn others, or just vent. However after a while it begins to sound like the complaint or returns dept at a local mega store. You don't hear the good things, just the unhappy people. Personally I enjoy reading a post from people that are happy with their K-5. I also like hearing that the Canons and Nikons have their own troubles. So far my K-5 has been problem free but I highly doubt it will be a durable as my K20 was. If somebody wants to say that they love their K-5, this is the place to say it. If you are having trouble with your K-5 this is the place to talk about that too. At the end of the day we all spend far too much time on our computers rather than taking pictures or finding something else productive to do with our time so we all have that in common.

Now if Pentax would just hurry up and return my lens that's in for repairs I'd be really happy.
09-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

Question 1:
Who on earth would buy a camera and then start looking for problems until they found one? (Suggestion: Get this out of your head.)
I've read several threads from people asking how to search out "issues with cameras or lenses. This is, by definition, looking for trouble.

QuoteQuote:
Question 2: Why would you, just having started a "K-5 positivity thread", butt in and stir up doubts about K-5 issues when everyone else did the right thing and said "Go for it, get one of the best APS-C cameras"?
Becaue, if you are the kind of person to go looking for problems, odds are, you are going to find them. You might, if you were honest, note that I did mention that the same holds true for any camera.
Judging from the number of teething issues the K5 has had, and the number of niggling little complaints people have had with the camera, I don't see where my post was factually wrong.
OTOH, my K5 seems to work as it should.
09-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #68
Pentaxian

I've read several threads from people asking how to search out "issues with cameras or lenses. This is, by definition, looking for trouble.
But in the vast majority of cases it is not looking for trouble for the sake of finding trouble.

It is making sure that one got one's money worth. Whether one bought a used lens or a new camera, in both cases it is good practice to check whether there are any defects one should settle with the seller.

No good to find anything wrong with a camera after the warranty period has expired just because one never had to use a certain aspect of the camera before. Or live with a defect just because other copies of the camera work fine and their users glorify it to the extent that they disapprove of any trouble reports.

You might, if you were honest, note that I did mention that the same holds true for any camera.
Sure, I didn't claim anything to the contrary. I faithfully reported that you suspected that finding a problem with the K-5 is more likely than with another camera.

Judging from the number of teething issues the K5 has had, and the number of niggling little complaints people have had with the camera, I don't see where my post was factually wrong.
It wasn't factually wrong.

But it makes you appear as someone who both acknowledges K-5 problems and mocks those that acknowledge K-5 problems.

09-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

But it makes you appear as someone who both acknowledges K-5 problems and mocks those that acknowledge K-5 problems.
That's only because you, and others, seem to feel that I had some agenda when I posted this thread.
While you are right, and I did, you missed what the agenda was, and so assumed the thread was about something it wasn't.
You would have done better to take things at face value.
Instead, you helped me make a very telling point about the psychology of internet forums.
Thanks.
09-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

Otis says there is the same connection here that he sees with flies and stink.......If he ever wants to local flies, he just finds the stink, they are always there. He was looking straight in my eyes when he said this...maybe he needs to look into some more eyes too?
Regards!

Something smells.....
[IMG] [/IMG]
09-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #71
Site Supporter

Frankly, I saw the original post as tongue-in-cheek. Having re-read it, I still think that.
Closed Thread