Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #1

K5 to remplace my K-x?

Hi everyone!

I shoot sport (hockey) and I've planned to change my K-x. The AF on my K-x is pretty slow sometimes, so I've got a lot of blurry photos (I use a SIGMA 70-200 mm F2,8 II APO DG EX HSM lens).

Will the K5 better with its AF system? (compare to my K-x)

What about all the problems i've read on the forum ?

Thank you!

09-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You have a very decent Lens there - have never owned a k-x but I would bet the K5 focusing would be faster (however marginal that actuall difference really is). With Hockey being such as fast action sport and usually terrible lightening conditions where I think the K5 would really benefit you is the the increased ISO capabilites and more resolution. I have shot some hockey in arena's with my Tamron 28-75 / Tamron 70-200 (both f2.8) and K10 / K20 - my best shots were either panning (with AF.c) ,or focusing on where the action would be. (eg: in front of the net, blue line or center ice , or see a big hit comming, etc).

As for 'all the problems' search some recent posts. Not eveyone who has a K5 that is working properly makes a post stating such. In fact there is a recent tongue in cheek post about this. The K5 did have some early issues that have since been addressed. Generally it is rated a top end product. However as with any purchase and any mass produced item there is an 'acceptable' level of tollerance for defects. Pentax is no different that other companies in this regards. You can be comforted if you buy your K5 from a reputable dealer or even used (** have to check if warrenty is transferable this is not always the case **) the issue will be addressed. You can also check this forum to see if others have had that particular issue.

I bought one a month ago. I have no stains, my mirror does not lock up and my delete and lens release button show no sign of comming off. Will something happen eventaully ? I hope not but I have a 2 year warrenty to address factory defects. YMMV there are no guarentees with any purchase of anything. .

Bottom line if it were me the 'defects' would not deter me from purchasing a K5 and IMHO it will indeed help you with your hockey shots and a whole more more. Good luck with your decesion.
09-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have done some hockey pictures back in the film days. Given how fast paced it is, I would forgo using the autofocus and shot using manual focus. If you are looking for better high ISO then the K-5 would be the way to go. If it is a matter of getting better shots in general. I would continue to stay with the K-x to work on catching the action. The only other reasoning to go to higher end camera in my eyes is if you are looking at starting doing this type of picture taking as a business.

It takes time to get used to getting good shots from a game. I would only upgrade the camera body after seeing if it is worth the money by gettiing results that you are looking for with the K-r minus some grain that could be coming from cameras sensor. I would be focusing on composing images and action moments rather then worrying what type of camera you have. The K-x itself is a good camera and should provide the base you need to start up getting the pictures you are looking for. Otherwise from other people posting notes of sports photography, it looks like Nikon or Canon could give you and edge but given the right equipment, I think any brand like your Pentax can work just as well.

Given the lenses you have, that makes a great base to start from. Do you have any examples of what you have done so far? It would nice to see some images posted.
09-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The K-5 does have a better focusing engine than the K-x, however I think the biggest differences are in the Live View focus speed and maybe not so much in the AF-c function.

The K-x has very good high ISO capabilities. The K-5 of course has a huge list of improvements over the K-x so it is worth the upgrade , but I also feel that you don't need to upgrade and can get sharp shots with the equipment you currently have.

The blurry shots could be due to a too slow shutter speed as well as out of focus, in which case I would recommend you try to use the following settings:
Tv mode with at least a 1/400 speed,
ISO setting to auto with a top range of 6400
Set AF mode to AF-c
Use the center focus point only

After trying this if the pictures are too dark then I would suggest the arena has poor lighting - you can try then expanded ISO to get 12,800, or perhaps consider the K-5 to get even higher ISO capabilities.

09-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The K-5 does have a better focusing engine than the K-x, however I think the biggest differences are in the Live View focus speed and maybe not so much in the AF-c function.
I am in the boat of deciding on an upgrade too. Having used the K-x now for nearly two years I wonder whether upgrading is necessary after reading this comment. I mean who even uses Live View focus for action shots? I use it sometimes for tripod work for land and sea scapes or macro in a studio setup.

I am just surprised you have not mentioned the "catch in focus" method which may be used to overcome the K-x's focusing speed short comings...
09-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

One of the nice features of the sigma 70-200 is it's AF speed. I would want to take advantage of it but manual and catch in focus methods are definitely an option.
09-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

the KX AF is pretty fast espesially with the 70-200mm..heres a couple pics straight from camera and the AF locked pretty fast..
09-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
the KX AF is pretty fast espesially with the 70-200mm..heres a couple pics straight from camera and the AF locked pretty fast..
Looks good. I was going to check the EXIF data but they don't seem to be there. So I hope you don't mind me asking what ISO, f-stop, shutter speed and focal length were. My fastest focusing lens seems to be the da 40 ltd. the sigma 17-70 focus hunts back and forth... I might even try that lens as I am on the lookout for something above 70 mm (I have a 90mm macro Tamron too) rather than upgrading to a K-5.

09-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice shots Dane.
09-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Given the lenses you have, that makes a great base to start from. Do you have any examples of what you have done so far? It would nice to see some images posted.
Here's some photo that i've shot for far with my K-x (some are with the kit lens 50-200mm and some with my Sigma 70-200mm) :
http://www.actubdl.fr/category/32-saison-2010-2011

Last edited by Loweack; 09-09-2011 at 12:47 AM.
09-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Loweack Quote
Hi everyone!

I shoot sport (hockey) and I've planned to change my K-x. The AF on my K-x is pretty slow sometimes, so I've got a lot of blurry photos (I use a SIGMA 70-200 mm F2,8 II APO DG EX HSM lens).

Will the K5 better with its AF system? (compare to my K-x)

What about all the problems i've read on the forum ?

Thank you!
To answer your questions:

* K-5 AF better than K-x: yes. Will it be enough?
It depends....

* What about all the problems you've read about?
Well, these problems do exist on a *very small number* of camera's.
And if you would have a lot of bad luck, then there is warrenty to fall back to.
You read only about the ones with problems (how many? a few dozen?) not about all the good ones (many thousands?)

The K-5 is about the best selling high end amature Pentax camera ever.
If all K-5's would have those problems, Pentax would have been out of business.
My K-5 is fine, an excellent machine!
Make sure you buy from a trust worthy shop, the Pentax service is better than its competition. You can find those comments as well on this forum.
The Nikon competition (D7000) is without issues either, but here it is also a small minority of the camera's with problems.

Now about your blurred pictures:

1) Is your DOF not too small? What apertures are you using?
2) Is your shutter speed fast enough? Are the pictures OOF or is it motion blur?

I agree with Stevbike and Crewl1. Try another approach instead of investing in more camera stuff first.
Why not prefocus, with the camera in manual focus, and then put the camera in contineous shooting. Make 5 or 6 frames for each scene.
Shoot RAW. Set the aperture not smaller than f 8.0 (or up), shutter speed no less than 1/200 sec. Up the ISO as much as needed for this.
Then use noise reduction in post processing to address the noise.

Hope this helps...

Bert
09-09-2011, 01:13 AM   #12

Original Poster
Basically I shot with f4, 1/320s or 1/400s, and ISO800.
And its more an out of focus. For example, if I wanna shoot a player, it's the board which is focused.
09-09-2011, 04:56 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The focus speed of a hsm or sdm lens is not influenced by the body, although the k5 is a little more decisive and doesn't fidget like the kx does occasionally.

That said, I haven't noticed much if any difference in af on my k5 coming from a kx even with screw lenses. IQ is very very close too. I think you can do more in getting the best out of your current combo, I doubt the k5 is your silver bullet.
09-09-2011, 05:48 AM   #14
Site Supporter

And its more an out of focus. For example, if I wanna shoot a player, it's the board which is focused.
As twitch said there is no 'silver bullte' - a silver plated one maybe but that would run you $10 - $15k easy - Shutter speed is good. DOF not too bad. When you are shooting are you pre-focusing on the spot and then shooting ? What metering are you using ? Are you suing af.s or af.c ? I would use spot or center metering. Some comments on manual focus are excellent as well. Is the SR on ? Are these all hand held or monopod / tripod ? Are you above the boards or shooting through the glass ?
09-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Your settings sound like they should work. The sigma is sharp at f4, and shutter speed is high enough to stop the action.

Perhaps you can also bump up the aperture for more depth of field, higher ISO will be OK to achieve it.

Are you using the AF center point focus only?
When I shoot sports using AF-c I notice that my out of focus shots are generally because I did not have the center of the frame where it needed to be to get the focus I wanted to achieve.

I always know right when I take the shot if it is going to be a keeper or not. Since I am shooting in continuous mode there will be some in, some out of focus and in my case it is operator error, not the camera.

It pretty much does exactly what I ask it to do. That being said my sport shooting is restricted to soccer and baseball, and indoor gymnasium events like basketball volleyball and dance competitions.

Is it possible Hockey is too fast for the K-x to keep up? Now I will have to compare my K-5 to my K-x, hmmm.