Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 mirror "stuck up" or "flop"?

Admin: Please delete this or move at will ... I had no idea where to post this.

So, I posted this in the already quite busy thread on "K5 mirror flop ... smoking gun" thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/152033-k5-mirror-flops-s...-found-18.html
Page 18, Post no.: 262

And I have been looking for info as to what exactly is happening with my K5.
From what I have been reading, this would not likely be considered as the infamous "flop", rather a mysterious "mirror locking up" issue. :
Here is the text:

Hi everyone

Please tell if this is "mirror flop" or not! ...

Today, for the very first time, I encountered a problem with my K5 as follows:

I press the shutter button and then ... the mirror actually moves up but does not come down at all. It doesn't "flop" but stays up. I had to shut the camera off for the mirror to come down.
I start the camera again ... same thing.
I remove the battery (OEM) from the camera .... reinsert it, try a few shots: now works. (for how long? I have no idea).

Here are the specifics as to try to explain the surrounding "circumstances":

Camera shutter count is 15,245. (Bought new December 28th 2010 - still under warranty)
Batteries (camera and grip) were fully charged a couple of days ago; I took roughly 65 photos with that charge until the problem surfaced today. It still shows fully charged, according to the top LCD panel of the camera.
Just before the mirror situation happened, I took 3 short series in AF-C (Hi burst rate) of about 5-6 pictures each, then the next press of the shutter button caused the problem again and again.
Temperature outside: 21C. Sunny, mild wind with absolutely no humidity.

So my question is: is this "mirror flop"? Or could this be something totally different?

I will be looking forward to receiving any reply before I decide to send the K5 to Pentax. I need this camera vs. my K7 for obvious reasons.

Thanks to all in advance.

Cheers!

JP

Edit: I wonder if it would make any difference if set the power from the battery grip first ? Right now, it is set for camera/grip.

So, any help would be much appreciated!!

JP

09-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds different to me... the mirror-overrun symptoms were the mirror raising and lowering when various buttons were pressed, usually with a full charged battery installed.

Your issue sounds like the mirror is hanging or getting stuck in the raised position.. could be a mechanical, tolerance issue or it could be electronic... Send it in for repair as it will not heal itself.
09-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
Sounds different to me... the mirror-overrun symptoms were the mirror raising and lowering when various buttons were pressed, usually with a full charged battery installed.

Your issue sounds like the mirror is hanging or getting stuck in the raised position.. could be a mechanical, tolerance issue or it could be electronic... Send it in for repair as it will not heal itself.
Thanks a bunch for the reply, Jim.

I'll do that and lucky for me, the K5 is still under warranty.

Cheers.

JP
09-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This sounds exactly like what happened to my K5. Could you hear a whirring sound while the camera froze?

09-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
This sounds exactly like what happened to my K5. Could you hear a whirring sound while the camera froze?
Hi Tony.

I didn't hear a thing but perhaps I was just paying too much attention to the "visual" happening. Let's just say I wasn't tuned in to listen for a sound during the mishap. I'll pay more attention hen/if it happens again.

How is your K5 now? Still doing this mirror "lock up"?

JP
09-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hi Tony.

I didn't hear a thing but perhaps I was just paying too much attention to the "visual" happening. Let's just say I wasn't tuned in to listen for a sound during the mishap. I'll pay more attention hen/if it happens again.

How is your K5 now? Still doing this mirror "lock up"?

JP
My situation happened only while exiting Liveview, so it may not be the same problem you have. I sent it back for a replacement K5. Luckily I only had it about 4 days.
09-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here are some funny stats when this happened ... the camera did take pictures! I figured that much when it kept the mirror up: I told myself that there has to be something showing somewhere!

EXIF Data for one of three problematic shots:
(Note: camera was set on TAv; aperture F5.6, Shutter speed 1/1250s, can't remember which ISO the camera was at)

Shutter speed .................. 30 sec !!!! In broad daylight on TAv ???
Aperture ............................ f 5.6
Spot metering
Auto WB
Sensitivity ......................... 80 !!! (so, the camera did react to "my" command of 30 second exposure.)
RAW mode
AF-C
Spot AF
SR "ON"

So ... it looks like the shutter speed was suddenly "switched" to 30 seconds ... !?

Now you'd think: what in the world did I do wrong? How did I actually switched to a 30 sec exposure?

Yes that is possible!
Here is what I think may have happened (hopefully that is all that happened!):

Since I always have the battery grip ON, I may actually have inadvertently moved the shutter speed dial of the grip. Not with my hand ... possibly that the dial rubbed against my hip/waist area when I was walking through rather thick bush, chasing (sort of) a Northern Harrier.

I will get back out there tomorrow morning and give it a real test (AF-C, High burst rate) just the same way as I was taking the pics when that happened.

Obviously .... and "shame on me" if that turns out te be a false alarm and the entire story is a user's error (which I am now suspecting )

Reporting back tomorrow!

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 09-09-2011 at 07:31 PM.