Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #16

I'm sorry folks, I can't help myself . . . so, with apologies in advance to just about everyone and their dog (and their squirrels):

K-5? We ain't got no K-5. We don't need no K-5! I don't have to show you any stinking K-5!

Well, it's pretty much the same sensor as a K-5 anyway. And I would love to have had the in-body SR of the Pentax system to go with my 12-year old lenses, but I'm running 2 systems instead (could not bring myself to sell the old film system and lenses so I recently picked up a D7000). And, I do plan to get a K-5 to compliment my K-7 and K20D sometime soon. Nikon D7000 with AF300/4.0 IF-ED, 1/80 sec. at f/4.5, ISO 640, -0.7EV, handheld. Straight out of the camera jpg, just added a touch of sharpening.

09-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Your post.....
"Frankly though, anyone who recommends a K5 with no caveats is an even bigger fool than I was when the thing came out and I was peeing on everyone who was finding something wrong with the thing."

Otis concedes that there are some areas where he just can't top the competition......and thanks you for bringing this to his attention.

Regards!
Keep pitching, but I am not easy to hit.....
That's OK, it isn't polite to hit children.
It's good that you can admit you have a problem with reading comprehension though.
However, as I found out the hard way, being a cheerleader can have it's drawbacks.
09-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This guy was a stranger, but, after checking things out, was happy to have his portrait taken.

Richard.
09-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
haa great thread ! No current squirell here so Jack says .... IS THAT THE NEW K5 ! LET ME SEEEEEEEEEEEE

09-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That's OK, it isn't polite to hit children.
It's good that you can admit you have a problem with reading comprehension though.
However, as I found out the hard way, being a cheerleader can have it's drawbacks.

Problem with reading comprehension? Admitting what? Where did you read that, Otis asks? You didn't read it from him......maybe you have the problem?

Otis is not a Cheerleader...he is Otis.....Cheerleaders root for their team when they are down and out, defeated and empty. Otis just relates the facts and when they just happen to coincide with the vast majority, who are not down and out but going strong with a world class camera, he has every right to throw out a little cheer...if he did that sort of thing!

Regards!

You won't rattle Otis...and by the way, Otis loves children! He is way too cool and collected to be rattled....by anyone.
[IMG] [/IMG]

Frank....Whatever that giant critter is eating...Otis wants some of it!
09-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Problem with reading comprehension? Admitting what? Where did you read that, Otis asks? You didn't read it from him......maybe you have the problem?

Actually, you don't admit anything. You just try to change where the target is sitting and then think you've done something clever.
As far as where I noticed your reading comprehension problem, that would have been post #1 in this thread.

Why not drop the Otis crap, it's juvenile and while it may have been funny once, it is far past being anything other than childish antics.
Perhaps you should come up with an intelligent rebuttal to the post you are taking umbrage with. Rather than mocking me for being right, try to do something that proves me wrong for a change.
It would be the adult thing to do.
Are you up to it, Rupert?
09-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wheatfield, Otis registered your vote of no confidence in the K5, and realizes that not everyone in life likes to have a little fun and enjoy each other and their equipment in some sort of harmony.
If this was a vote about who should go away Otis would be more than willing to abide by the results....would you? He hasn't made a point to slam you as juvenile, or childish...but I think he could make a good case if he did.
You have registered your vote against the K5, we got it, now move along...we are still having fun here! See those doggies...great shots.....do you know doggies can bite?

But....if you might want that vote...Otis is plenty willing, just let him know!

Regards!

09-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After tidying up here for Otis.......I realized I have not cast my vote for Otis and the K5. I do so now, in favor of the work Otis has done to encourage Pentaxians and Newcomers to buy the K5, without hesitation. Otis is no fool, he is a Squirrel....I thought almost everyone realized that?

Now for the "few words"...... putting aside the problems acknowledged, with regrets to those that have suffered, and applause to those that have been trouble free, the past five months have been the most fun and joy I have had since I started shooting with a DSLR. My K5 has not given me any problems, and has brought new abilities to my shooting far beyond my current skill level. Shots I never made before are now routine, and I feel confidence in most any condition that I will get a shot I can use. The added speed with high ISO settings is a blessing when the light starts to get dim, and the quiet shutter doesn't spook little birdies...or people. The much faster AF ( It is real!) and the accuracy of the metering gives much broader opportunity to get a shot than any of my previous Pentax cameras...by far! It is a joy to use, or just hold in your hands and feel the solid comfort of knowing you have to live up to the K5, not the other way around.
Whether it is serious shooting, or just Squirrely fun, the K5 has brought some new thrills to my shooting habits. Do I Highly Recommend it to both friends and strangers? Damn right I do!

Best Regards!
Rupert

It is not all Squirrels......this was just a fun snap at ISO 3200 inside a Convenience Store.....you can shoot most anywhere without flash with the K5....gotta love that!
[IMG] [/IMG]
09-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Gizmo was dreaming of Otis - and thinking posing for the K-5 would be easier than waiting for me to get close with the Leica...
Name:  Dreaming of Otis.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  209.3 KB
Both my K-5 and Leica M-9 have been trouble-free so far. Both have things they are best at, but I'm amazed how the K-5 image quality compares. I just like an all manual camera better!
09-10-2011, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote

Why not drop the Otis crap, it's juvenile and while it may have been funny once, it is far past being anything other than childish antics.
Perhaps you should come up with an intelligent rebuttal to the post you are taking umbrage with. Rather than mocking me for being right, try to do something that proves me wrong for a change.
It would be the adult thing to do.
Are you up to it, Rupert?

Thanks for this post. I now understand you better. In another thread I thought it was me but now I see this is just your style. Not a good one IMO.

Just being honest, I personally consider your post to be really juvenile. Amazing how many of those who can dish it out can't handle any challenge. I am glad that I met many nicer people on my trip to Canada.
09-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Gizmo was dreaming of Otis - and thinking posing for the K-5 would be easier than waiting for me to get close with the Leica...
Attachment 103134
Both my K-5 and Leica M-9 have been trouble-free so far. Both have things they are best at, but I'm amazed how the K-5 image quality compares. I just like an all manual camera better!
Glad you are liking your K5, that seems to be a common denominator, even with those that have or have had problems. The IQ is indeed very excellent, we tend to forget that at times....

Otis liked your cat shot...from a distance, outside my office window.....Black cats make him very uneasy, maybe because old Mr Kitty made Otis' little sister Skippy a whole lot dead!

Best Regards

R.I.P. Skippy.....
09-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Isabella says Mr. Kitty has to go! Btw, Otis is always welcome to visit his Floridian buddies, especially if he brings his K-5 along with him!

Last edited by agsy; 06-23-2013 at 06:01 AM.
09-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fine shot of your goat......Otis likes goats, they clear the lower brush from the trees very nicely. He knows goats can eat cans, but has never seen a goat eat a can that large.......I told Otis it must be a Super Goat? Looks proud of it too!

Best Regards!
09-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Got a k-5, love the k-5 wouldn't replace it for anything (mmm maybe a full frame camera for the same price), but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to my friends if they were to ask me to recommend them a camera. Why? It's just not the safe choice, there is uncertainty -- be it third party support (or lack of), the future of pentax, and also I must admit the QC issues. But if some random stranger asks me to recommend them a camera, I would suggest a k-5

There's also another reason, I once told my friend I wanted to get an iPhone he steered me away from it and recommended a Samsung omnia, he was perfectly happy with it, but when I got it... it was the worst phone I ever owned (if you ever used one you would likely agree), now I can't take anything my friend recommends seriously.
09-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
Got a k-5, love the k-5 wouldn't replace it for anything (mmm maybe a full frame camera for the same price), but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to my friends if they were to ask me to recommend them a camera. Why? It's just not the safe choice, there is uncertainty -- be it third party support (or lack of), the future of pentax, and also I must admit the QC issues. But if some random stranger asks me to recommend them a camera, I would suggest a k-5

There's also another reason, I once told my friend I wanted to get an iPhone he steered me away from it and recommended a Samsung omnia, he was perfectly happy with it, but when I got it... it was the worst phone I ever owned (if you ever used one you would likely agree), now I can't take anything my friend recommends seriously.
Otis said to give you half a vote for and half a vote against.......you would recommend the K5 ...just not to a friend. I can sort of understand that, friends can be most difficult to judge, as you just noted...your friend loved his phone, yet you ended up hating it. I always tried to avoid doing business with friends or relatives, much for the same reasons. It is a tricky situation where you are on very thin ice even if you think the product or service is great. It is often possible that it is great, but they are incapable of using it properly, or it just doesn't fit their particular needs.

Still, I would stick with Otis, and if I recommend a camera to a friend it will be the K5, it is just too good and too much of a great value to send them off in another direction...or take a chance they might end up with a lesser camera and then say "why didn't you tell me about your K5?"

I know a few on this Forum that I have pushed hard toward a K5.......I don't hear them complaining.....quite the opposite!

Best Regards!