Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
First shot of Chesney with the K-5. Even with the DA* 50-135 mounted, he still couldn't care less:

09-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #32
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I can understand that too, a good stick is damn hard to come by nowadays! Mighty fine looking doggie, and a good shot of him too. Remninds me of my very first doggie,Gabby, he was half Cocker / half Collie, and the greatest dog you could imagine. What a pal he was! I was about 6 years old and we shared his dog food every night.....I wanted him to know it was good enough for me! I had him for many years......such fine memories!
Best Regards!
09-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Antigone is still wondering what all that fuss is about, let her sleep!

Last edited by philippe; 12-09-2011 at 09:36 AM.
09-11-2011, 01:19 AM   #34

Greetings to Otis, and have a nice sunday.

Dreaming about his "masters" K-5...

Attached Images

09-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
Got a k-5, love the k-5 wouldn't replace it for anything (mmm maybe a full frame camera for the same price), but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to my friends if they were to ask me to recommend them a camera. Why? It's just not the safe choice, there is uncertainty -- be it third party support (or lack of), the future of pentax, and also I must admit the QC issues. But if some random stranger asks me to recommend them a camera, I would suggest a k-5

There's also another reason, I once told my friend I wanted to get an iPhone he steered me away from it and recommended a Samsung omnia, he was perfectly happy with it, but when I got it... it was the worst phone I ever owned (if you ever used one you would likely agree), now I can't take anything my friend recommends seriously.
I would very happily and confidently recommend a K-5 to a friend. Yes, it's disappointing if you get one with problems; but it comes with a warranty and it will either be fixed or replaced. These are complex devices and expecting perfection is a bit unrealistic. All DSLR manufacturers have similar problems. Does Hasselblad make fault-free H4D60? Maybe. But you'd have to pay $US60,000 for a body in Oz. I suppose it would be possible to do a 100% quality check on every camera made, but you'd be looking at (guess) $30,000 for a K-5 body and complaining like mad that the shutter count was over 100,000.

Things got complicated when cameras went electronic. 20 or so years ago I was visiting a friend in the semi-tropics (Noosa area). It was summer time and the living was easy. He was the only camera mechanic within about a 200km radius and all the professional photographers took their cameras to him. I had a Nikkormat FT3 and his main body was a Nikon F3. We talked about cameras. He had a huge bucket full of dead F4 electronics and his conclusion was that we could no longer expect the reliability that we were used to from manual film cameras. Looks like he was right

Is there a league table of reliability like the J.D. Power reliability survey for cars?

Talking about cars: if you ask people for a recommendation about buying a Jaguar, chances are you'll be advised not to buy one 'because they are unreliable'. "Buy a Mercedes or a BMW instead", they say. "They're much more reliable." But if you look at the J.D. Power survey, Jaguar is way above Mercedes and BMW. So who do you believe? Your friend who has seen a Jaguar in the street and has heard that it's unreliable or the information gathered from hundreds of Jaguar, Mercedes and BMW owners?

Just remember that a friend is not necessarily the best person to ask for advice.

Richard (in a philosophical mood).
09-11-2011, 01:59 AM   #36
Veteran Member

These guys recommend a K7 so i suspect they'd adore a K5! However they don't pay the bills...

(Max and Minnie are Oriental Blacks)
09-11-2011, 02:01 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I'll add my cat to the list of endorsers of the K5.
Beautiful cat, looks like a tabby-point but what breed is she, please?

09-11-2011, 02:54 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, I don't have a K5 yet so I'll have to forfeit giving an opinion there, but I think "Otis" is awesome and I rather like reading about his hijinks. Rupert's squirrel crew amuses me and if that makes me silly or too juvenile for some people then so be it. I never get tired of them, quite the contrary.
09-11-2011, 04:32 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Well, I don't have a K5 yet so I'll have to forfeit giving an opinion there, but I think "Otis" is awesome and I rather like reading about his hijinks. Rupert's squirrel crew amuses me and if that makes me silly or too juvenile for some people then so be it. I never get tired of them, quite the contrary.
+1

Apart from anything else, Rupert takes some really good shots of his squirrel crew. I miss Festus.

I've been told that I suffer from "Peter Pan Syndrome". I think it was meant as an insult, but I took it as a compliment.

Richard.
09-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Thanks for this post. I now understand you better. In another thread I thought it was me but now I see this is just your style. Not a good one IMO.
Actually, it is just you.

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
I would very happily and confidently recommend a K-5 to a friend. Yes, it's disappointing if you get one with problems; but it comes with a warranty and it will either be fixed or replaced.
And while your friend is playing return.warranty roulette, is he also using your camera? Or have you left him on the line to dry?
QuoteQuote:

Things got complicated when cameras went electronic. 20 or so years ago I was visiting a friend in the semi-tropics (Noosa area). It was summer time and the living was easy. He was the only camera mechanic within about a 200km radius and all the professional photographers took their cameras to him. I had a Nikkormat FT3 and his main body was a Nikon F3. We talked about cameras. He had a huge bucket full of dead F4 electronics and his conclusion was that we could no longer expect the reliability that we were used to from manual film cameras. Looks like he was right
So you think a dozen or more different and totally unrelated QC failures from the same product is acceptable?
QuoteQuote:
Is there a league table of reliability like the J.D. Power reliability survey for cars?

Talking about cars: if you ask people for a recommendation about buying a Jaguar, chances are you'll be advised not to buy one 'because they are unreliable'. "Buy a Mercedes or a BMW instead", they say. "They're much more reliable." But if you look at the J.D. Power survey, Jaguar is way above Mercedes and BMW. So who do you believe? Your friend who has seen a Jaguar in the street and has heard that it's unreliable or the information gathered from hundreds of Jaguar, Mercedes and BMW owners?

Just remember that a friend is not necessarily the best person to ask for advice.

Richard (in a philosophical mood).
J.D Power only checks for initial owner satisfaction. They don't go back in a year and see if the owner is still happy after his Jag has spent half it's life in the shop.
In 1998, I bought a Pontiac Grand Am. A week or so after taking delivery, Had I done a survey, I would have been the happiest owner ever.
Less than 3 years later, the car had spent fully half it's time in the shop, and my attitude had changed somewhat.
09-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by older albatross Quote
Greetings to Otis, and have a nice sunday.

Dreaming about his "masters" K-5...
I love all the animal shots you guys are posting, shows we have some good folks here! Otis is not all that thrilled by the cats, but he views them through the window of my office and, to be honest, taunts them just a little!

The Doggie shot is particularly special, enough that I scanned this 20+ year old shot that I love of my Hooter Dog, and enough that I am going to bore you with a typical "Rupert Short Story" ...my apologies in advance, most of you already "know how I am"....just can't help it! Non-animal people, you can move along, won't hold it against you! Otis......where are you going? Oh yeah, you've heard it a million times.....I forgot......let me get you some apple slices while I type this.....

My wife called me one morning over 20 years ago from her job at a Medical Clinic. She said that a Doggie had come up to the front door alcove and was laying on the cement and bleeding slightly from the hip area, apparently having been hit by a car or possibly injured in a severe storm the preceding night. I was on my was to work, and an important meeting, and told her I couldn't come look at the Doggie as she had requested. She told me that one of the Doctors had called the Sheriff, and they were sending out a Deputy to shoot her (the Doggie, not Mrs Rupert! )
Well, as I got to the crossroad for my job, I couldn't make the left turn...I didn't want to see a Doggie shot if she could be saved. I turned right and got here just before the Deputy. The Doggie licked my hand and moaned in pain, I was hooked. I told Mrs Rupert to call our Vet and send a Doggie ambulance at once. $1K later she had completed major hip surgery and been treated for many ticks and fleas, as well as some other more minor injuries.
We took her home and I told Mrs Rupert the Dogie could stay in my shop until she healed enough to walk on her own, then we would find her a good home. We had no fence and no place for a Doggie like her to roam. At the time I was rebuilding a motorcycle in my shop, so I was out there often, and very late every night. I helped the Doggie to get up and go outside when needed, and at that point in time we started to bond. Of course, already being fluent in animal language, didn't hurt either and we had long conversations concerning various subjects of interest......when she agreed with something, a little low groan would follow my comments to her...if not she would bark until I recanted.
After three weeks....I was building a fence.....not an ordinary fence, but a special cedar fence with cement footing and trim to be acceptable and attractive to my new Pal. Mrs Rupert promised to pay for the fence.......it was very expensive......I'm still looking for that "check's in the mail"!

I named my Doggie, Hooter. Why? I grew up working with my Granddad who was a builder, and as a kid when he wanted something, a certain tool or such, he would ask me to "hand me that little "hooter"...and it was my job to know the right tool for the jog he was doing. Seemed like a good name to me....Mrs Rupert didn't agree, but hey, it's my Doggie!

Hooter went everywhere with me, she loved to ride in my truck, and we always got treats at every stop. Wehn I was home, she was at my side and in my shop with me at all times. In '92 when I broke an ankle and was house bound for three months , I turned my Hooter Dog into a house Doggie and brought her in. We both gained ten pounds, watched too much TV, and had a million great conversations. It was maybe some of the best days of my life.

On Nov 6,1999 near Midnight we had a big storm with loud thunder.....my Hooter Dog was horrified by thunder and could hear it a hundred miles away. I comforted her but after a while she went limp. I called the Vet, we met him at the clinic....it was too late. An autopsy showed she died of a pelvic aneurysm, most likely from her injuries many years back. I cried like a baby...I'm crying now.....I had her cremated and she is still here with me as I type this. Someday we will go to the creek again together and swim. walk the shores of the lake and bark together at the ducks, and stop at the store for beef jerky on our way home.....

Best regards & thanks for that great photo!

My Hooter Dog.....always by my side. Still is....

Not the best photo,,,but priceless to me!
Name:  File0001.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  106.7 KB

Note to Wheatfield: After I posted this I see you are back over here spreading your "good will"......I'm pretty sure, in fact positive, my Hooter dog wouldn't like you....but she loved little children and played with them for hours and hours, would protect them with her life....so it figures she wouldn't be your kind of Doggie.
09-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rupert, I don't care how long it's been. I know what it is to love a furry companion like that and I'm very sorry for your loss. Hooter sounds like a lovely dog. Hug...
09-11-2011, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Rupert, I don't care how long it's been. I know what it is to love a furry companion like that and I'm very sorry for your loss. Hooter sounds like a lovely dog. Hug...
Thanks Mag, I appreciate your kind words. As I posted this my 21 yr old Grandson came in my office for some help with his shirt pocket of his new Army dress uniform. He is speaking at at Mrs Rupert's Church toady of a young soldier (20) that was just killed in Afghanistan. We watched the long funeral procession as it came through town on Friday...we hung our heads, we cried. Jeffrey led an Honor Guard in the nearby town where he attends college...it was a sad day. Pfc. Jesse W. Dietrich | Freedom Remembered

When he came in my office this morning he saw the tears, and said "Grandpa, I have never seen you cry"........looked on the screen and read about my Hooter Doggie...gave me a hug and a said "it will be OK Grandpa" ...it will, I know, my Hooter Dog loved fun as much as I do, I won't let her down!

Best Regards! I'm going Squirrel hunting, dry my eyes and enjoy the sunny day!
09-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #44

Rupert, thank you for sharing this very personal story about Hooter.
Lights and shadows, colors and blacks, life is the absolute biggest gift we have...
09-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Note to Wheatfield: After I posted this I see you are back over here spreading your "good will"......I'm pretty sure, in fact positive, my Hooter dog wouldn't like you....but she loved little children and played with them for hours and hours, would protect them with her life....so it figures she wouldn't be your kind of Doggie.
Actually, she would have. Dogs appreciate honesty, even though people sometimes don't