Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #31

Thanks, sj. That's definitely unfortunate there's but a single warrantee repair center, maybe that will change under Ricoh; I guess we can hope.
@Shraubstock - difficult to tell. Consumer protection and similar laws vary by country. To the best of my knowledge, there used to be a legal requirement for auto manufacturers selling in the US to make parts available for a period of 20 years, however that was changed sometime in the 80s - I'm not positive if the requirement was completely removed regardless of timeframe, if it was just reduced, or if it's now just an 'industry practice' (which would effectively mean - consumers beware :-/ ). I couldn't quickly find much in the way of 'consumer protection laws' regarding planned obsolescence or parts availability (lots of fluff to be found and sifted through, though!) Ironically, I found mostly references to trade practices and competition compared to much in the way of consumer protection. Maybe someone knows for certain?

Now I am curious beyond the Pentax/K5 side of it. It used to be fairly common for power tools to last 20+ years, and you'd be able to order a brush or motor winding kit for drills and similar tools, but I'm not sure that any formerly well made tool producers still exist (perhaps outside of snap-on and the like/$$$$) - most companies were bought up/merged into mega-corps, production moved to China, and now, well - most of it's pure crap with either planned or unplanned obsolescence at < 5 years or so. Just look at the list of formerly decent companies now 'owned' by MTD for good (bad) examples.

Sorry for the way off-topic..

09-13-2011, 12:21 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
TS, I think there should be a point where enough is enough, so if its really that tipping point, just send the camera back, and ask for a new one or just give up on Pentax and move on to another brand.

QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
This made me wondering too, so I talked to the pro-retailer where I buy all my gear. They told me that, of all the K5 body's sold from the very beginning till now, they had only two returned with stains and one with a mother board problem (*). They say that this hardly represents 3% of the whole lot sold, and that seems to be some a kind of general 'average' over here.
I think that the main problem with the K5 is situated in the US, this is the place, after Japan, where the early production runs are sold and these ones are still suffering from early childhood illnesses...
Over here in Europe, we are served a while later than the US, which seems to be turning in to an advantage, and combined whit that famous warranty thing as described above, I believe that this might be the main pain point...

BTW, forced by law as stipulated in the EEC regulations, over here all consumer machinery and apparatus have to be covered by a minimum of two years full factory warranty.
So, I am enjoying these 'advantages', my K5 works flawlessly...

(*) They don't count the AF issues because this can easily be solved by tuning and some software things whit in a few days... The real stuff is when the body has to be opened and parts have to be replaced which is costly and time consuming!

I must clarify that the folks here in Singapore were one of the very first to get hold of the K5. In fact before US.
The incidents of catastrophic failure has been low here.

To the folks still hanging on to *istD and such, I can only encourage you to have some courage and move on.
These modern electronic gadgets will never be ideal quality wise anymore.
They are a confluence of tech (mechanical; electronic; software). A failure of any of these will lead to a failure on the camera.
I have probably more than 60K shutter counts on my K5.
In the old days of film, I did no more than 15 rolls a year (ie. 36x15 = 540 shutter counts)
What does that mean?
It means I have used my K5 far beyond my film camera ever did in its many years of life.

Get a K? will never be free of problems. It may be even worse if its a new design that does not leverage on a more known K7, K5 design.

The K5 is a very good camera. Just get one and benefit from what it can give.

Last edited by pinholecam; 09-13-2011 at 12:58 AM.
09-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #33

Original Poster
Nice pic. Since i've gotten my camera back from CRIS none of my photos have been sharp, they all are very soft. And I would say 2 out 10 photos are actually in focus unless i only use MF. When I have my camera set to focus on the center point, the focal point jumps all over the place, it never focus' on the center. I think they screwed something up when they put my camera back together after replacing the cirucit board.
Has anyone else had foucsing problems with their K-5?
09-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #34

Original Poster
In the beginning I loved my K-5. IT wasn't until 2 months into it when the problems started showing up and then resulted in my circuit board getting fried and needing replaced, and now that it's back after almost a 6 week wait, it has been going down hill ever since.

09-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pamones Quote
Nice pic. Since i've gotten my camera back from CRIS none of my photos have been sharp, they all are very soft. And I would say 2 out 10 photos are actually in focus unless i only use MF. When I have my camera set to focus on the center point, the focal point jumps all over the place, it never focus' on the center. I think they screwed something up when they put my camera back together after replacing the cirucit board.
Has anyone else had foucsing problems with their K-5?
Have you tried resetting your focus adjustments via menu?
09-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
TS, I think there should be a point where enough is enough, so if its really that tipping point, just send the camera back, and ask for a new one or just give up on Pentax and move on to another brand.

I must clarify that the folks here in Singapore were one of the very first to get hold of the K5. In fact before US.
The incidents of catastrophic failure has been low here.

To the folks still hanging on to *istD and such, I can only encourage you to have some courage and move on.
These modern electronic gadgets will never be ideal quality wise anymore.
They are a confluence of tech (mechanical; electronic; software). A failure of any of these will lead to a failure on the camera.
I have probably more than 60K shutter counts on my K5.
In the old days of film, I did no more than 15 rolls a year (ie. 36x15 = 540 shutter counts)
What does that mean?
It means I have used my K5 far beyond my film camera ever did in its many years of life.

Get a K? will never be free of problems. It may be even worse if its a new design that does not leverage on a more known K7, K5 design.

The K5 is a very good camera. Just get one and benefit from what it can give.
- I didn't know about Singapore, but now I still wonder even more what happened with the load of K5's send to the US...

- An interesting observation on the differences between shooting film and digital!

- You are absolutely right about the K5...