Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Any Good News???

We have heard all this terrible stuff about the K5, but we never hear about the good K5's. I would like to hear from the people who have had no problems with their K5's, especially those that were bought within the last 6 months. Let's hear some good stories.

09-12-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know if I can do this? Old long winded Rupert doesn't do short stories well.........but I will try.

I think it was late May...right after the Firmware fix for focus, just the next day or so......About 7K shots since then.....most of them Squirrels?.....no problems, works perfectly, great camera, none of the reported problems, not even the flash problem with my two flashes 360/540 at any angle......Mostly have just had tons of fun in lower light shooting things I once missed. If I could say anything negative about my K5, anyone that knows me knows I damn sure would! But.....I can't, it is just a joy in my life to use and on top of everything else....Squirrels love it too!

Possums? Haven't really checked with them, but his "Shop Possum" seemed to pose well for the K5 early this morning!

Best Regards! Short enough?
09-12-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I two some freezes after the second battery charging but nothing since. It's performed very very well for me. Even at night, using my bike helmet light for illumination I was able to shoot with the 100mm FA macro.
Bombus Ruffocintus - now added to the Illinois list of bumblebees thanks to this effort, and one other person.

Last edited by TER-OR; 09-12-2011 at 07:30 AM. Reason: syntax
09-12-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I purchased mine about a month ago. 1500+ clicks to date I have had a lots of issues. Upon further review all issues can be attributed to the operator - The camera to date has opertated flawlessly (as he knocks on wood).

09-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #5

I've got nothing but good things to say about this camera.
09-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I love mine...................no issues and love the low light flexibility..............
09-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Just for the record, there have been other K5-praising threads in the recent past.

Nevertheless, my copy of the K5 hasn't let me down at all. I use it a lot with macro focus stacking and with panorama stitching. So with an average of ~100 images per photo, my shuttercount goes up VERY fast.

In 6 months time it froze only twice, and that was before I upgraded the firmware to 1.03. No more problems after that.

I'll surely buy the next DSLR that Pentax produces. After all the cr*p Pentax had to endure because of the QC issues, they're never ever going to make this mistake again. They'll get it 100% right the next time. Especially now their 'boss' is Ricoh, Ricoh is ruthless.

That said, I did follow all the complaint threads here on PF and noticed how excellent Pentax handled repairs and are very open with information. In contrast to "the other brands" that had similar issues, but just act as if it never happened.
09-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I was one of the first K-5 buyers, back in 2010. Although the first one had stains, that never showed in real life situations, and I still had 3 months of happy use before I changed it (the change process was quick and painless with Adorama). The second one has been perfect in all respects - the best camera I've owned. I've enjoyed it so much that I have invested heavily in Pentax lenses after I bought the K-5 (mostly primes), and love them all. Any defects in my photography (and there are many) are squarely the fault of the user, not the camera. I'm not really sure what to make of the many complaints on this and the other forum, or what percentage the group of unhappy users represents of overall Pentax users. I just know that I'm a very happy Pentaxian, and have been since 1980 - that's 30 years, without any significant problems with equipment or service. I look forward to new Pentax developments, and can not really imagine using anything else.

09-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I received mine the first week of March and have had no problems at all. I have over 10,000 shots on it so far.
09-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Mine is still working well.
09-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #11

My K-5 is performing spectacularly, as are my 16-50mm 2.8 and 50-135mm zooms. The K-5 will be going into action again at a wedding this weekend. It has never let me down (I do enough of that!).
09-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Both K-5 and K-r...

Both of mine are working well. No freezes, no flops, no focus issues, etc. I do need more free time to shoot though. Only a couple thousand shots on each. I am going to NYC for a few days. Hopefully rack up a few more grand on the K-5.
09-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
I love mine...................no issues and love the low light flexibility..............
Same here!
09-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
... If I could say anything negative about my K5, anyone that knows me knows I damn sure would! But.....I can't, it is just a joy in my life to use and on top of everything else....
Pleese enough of the fawning self praise, because it really is getting pretty tiring.
Just to set the record straight, you were once a vocal critic of the K-5 back when you didn't even own the camera.
But you've change your tune 180 degrees when you actually went out and bought one.
Perhaps you need a memory jog...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/131221-k-5-lemons-continue-pentax-saga.html
09-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Pleese enough of the fawning self praise, because it really is getting pretty tiring.
Just to set the record straight, you were once a vocal critic of the K-5 back when you didn't even own the camera.
But you've change your tune 180 degrees when you actually went out and bought one.
Perhaps you need a memory jog...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/131221-k-5-lemons-continue-pentax-saga.html
So.......I was honest then and honest now. I see that is a problem with you, but don't expect to see a change. I was critical of the faults of the time, I never changed that, and when corrected I promptly bought the K5. I am still critical of the faults others have, and want them corrected too, but acknowledge that most do not have problems. If that is a problem to you, then it is your problem, not mine.
Regards