Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #1

Wisdom req'd to discern which flash would best suit K5

am looking for your thoughts & or recommendations as to which auto zoom electronic flash unit should I purchase that would perform best on my new K5 (18-135 mm lens ) combo.
Whats the experience ??? - look forward to your thoughts - thankyou.

09-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends on your needs- do you need a tilt/swivel head, or would you just like to boost the power of your on-board flash?

Here are the current offerings from Pentax; you can also get a good third-party flash from Metz, among other brands.
PENTAX AF 360FGZ reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews
PENTAX AF 540FGZ reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews
PENTAX AF 200FG reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews

Metz 58 AF-1 Flash - Review

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i use swivel and tilt more often than not and i love the AF540. it is plenty powerful for anything i need. I also owned the AF200 which had very few features but still a great flash. even if your flash doesnt tilt, i suppose you can use off camera flash to aim it accordingly, via wireless or a flash cable.
09-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With on-camera flash any Pentax or Metz flash will work. Sigma is also an option. Its build quality is a tiny bit below the others but it can give you good bang for the buck. If you work with flash off camera, then the swivel is as important as tilt, as it allows you to face the remote sensor towards the camera. Go to The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison for a feature comparison.