Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2011, 03:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My 500mm lens

QuoteOriginally posted by Flick Quote
Would you mind sharing which 500mm lens you're using
I am using a Sigma 500mm f/4.5 APO manual focus. In Pentax terms, it would be an A*500/4.5 ED(IF). It is a modern optical construction (like 10 lens elements and ED glass rather than those old and cheap 4 elements super tele primes) and is able to outresolve the K-5 sensor in the center. I use it in conjunction with a Pentax 1.7x AF converter which gives me a stabilized 850mm AF lens with focus limiter

During daytime, the 1.7x converter AF works flawlessly despite the effective aperture of f/7.7.

In this posting, I attached a 100% crop of this lens with 1.7x converter -> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1654453-post20.html

Here is a 59% crop of the same image which corresponds to a 100% crop w/o converter:

(metering rule from 52m away)

QuoteOriginally posted by Flick Quote
and why?
I bought it for under $1000 from a friend and there may be no alternative in this price range.

Unfortunately, this lens is extremely rare. I never saw it offered online. You only see the AF versions ($4000+ new).

Here is a posting about the lens I use:
Sigma 500mm F4.5 APO- Nikon AiS Mount (Manual Focus)... (Page 1) - Manual Lens: Usage - Manual Focus Forum

However, mine is in white color and in K-mount and doesn't have the screw on top of the sun shade. I try to embed one of the other forum images here:

The other forum said only 500 were ever made. So, in K mount, it may be extremely rare, maybe like 50?

The lens (manual focus) appeared in 1987. In 1990, an almost identical AF version in Canon mount appeared:
-> Sigma History - 1961 to present day.

According to this info, the lens is 10 elements in 8 Groups with inner focussing and 2 ED elements in the front group which today is very expensive to buy.

Here is a 1991 test report of the lens: -> http://www.sigmauser.co.uk/images/stories/museum/Review.pdf

It measures up to 130 lp/mm resolution limit in the center (on T-max 100 film developed in Acutol) (resolving an 24 MP APSC sensor). The manual focus Pentax K version was said to be 2450 GBP which at that time corresponded to $4730 USD which after inflation in the US would be $7870 in USD as of 2011.

The newer Sigma 500/4.5 still have the front group with 2 ED elements but add a group and 2 elements to the overall optical formula. So, the current Sigma 500/4.5 are actually good value for the money.

BTW, Adam has the more recent (legacy) EX version in his database ( https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-500mm-f4-5-apo-ex.html ), but not mine. This shows how rare my lens is. More rare than any lens in Adam's database ...

BTW, the Pentax A*600/5.6 ED(IF) is a very similiar lens (8 elements in 6 groups with ED and inner focussing and rear filter). It earns top scores from reviewers here and may be the next best option for around $2500. It would be very interesting to compare both lenses one to one. Anybody near Munich with the A*600?

Last edited by falconeye; 09-20-2011 at 04:27 AM.
09-20-2011, 05:01 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
It measures up to 130 lp/mm resolution limit in the center (on T-max 100 film developed in Acutol) (resolving an 24 MP APSC sensor). The manual focus Pentax K version was said to be 2450 GBP which at that time corresponded to $4730 USD which after inflation in the US would be $7870 in USD as of 2011.
So for you this new 24 megapixel sensor from Sony is welcome?
09-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #18

Original Poster
Herewith a picture as promised.

Pentax K5, Pentax-FA* 300mm F4.5 ED [IF], Vivitar 1.4x Tele Converter, ISO250, f4.5 (6.3!!1), 1/250sec.

The picture has been cropped, but not by too much.

I must say, the autofocus worked pretty quickly and accurately.

William
Attached Images

09-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I am using a Sigma 500mm f/4.5 APO manual focus.

Unfortunately, this lens is extremely rare. I never saw it offered online. You only see the AF versions ($4000+ new).
Hi Falk,

This is indeed a rare lens. I watched a lot of sites for a lot of years to come up with the long fast glass that I currently own, and I've only seen one of these offered in K mount.

-- in fact, it was posted on this site's Marketplace @ May of last year. The Pentax professional nature photographer Kerrick James was selling one in EX condition for IIRC $1K. After a few back and forth PMs, I decided to pass on it ultimately because at the time, I was primarily shooting a lot closer than its MFD of @ 4m.

I was kicking myself this past spring though, when I found a Cooper's Hawk nest and couldn't shoot it at anything closer than 75-100 ft! . . . Getting back to reality, I know that I rarely shoot at those distances, so passing on it was the best move, but this kind of situation is exactly why I want a Q with K>Q adapter in the bag. . .the potential for extreme reach with lenses that are practical for me to carry (300/2.8 class or smaller) at lower ISO, faster apertures, and higher shutter speeds than rear converter TCs allow.

Scott

09-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I am using a Sigma 500mm f/4.5 APO manual focus.
Falk, thanks for the info, links and sample images. You do indeed own a rare lens...what a find at that low low price! The crops with the TC attached are actually quite sharp too .

I am leaning towards Sigma's 400mm/500mm telephoto zooms; they're readily available here and well priced (unlike Pentax I'm afraid), and I've seen some great results from a few different models in their line-up. The Pentax A*600/5.6 ED(IF) is impressive and offers more reach, but I suspect it will be difficult to source locally, and expensive. I'm not looking to purchase for a little while still, so will spend some time doing research / comparisons to find a suitable lens. And there is always the option of adding a TC... .

I will have a look at Adam's database, and keep us posted if you ever do come accross the A*600 in Munich!

QuoteOriginally posted by sprint06 Quote
Here is a shot taken with pentax 300 f4 and 1.4 converter.
QuoteOriginally posted by willywalker Quote
Herewith a picture as promised.
Much appreciate these sample images, they're looking great! Thanks for posting .

Elizme
09-21-2011, 03:01 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
in fact, it was posted on this site's Marketplace @ May of last year. The Pentax professional nature photographer Kerrick James was selling one in EX condition for IIRC $1K.
Interesting.

I couldn't find the listing but found the Sigma APO 500mm f/7.2 sister model sold for $250. That's probably the best IQ you can buy this cheap and sold within 2h But another fine and very rare lens missing in Adam's database