Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Replacement K5 ships today

My replacement K5 from B/H Photo ships today plus they credited my card $102.00 because of the price drop! Can't wait to get this camera back. The few days I had it was a real tease. Keeping my fingers crossed. May need some help from Otis on this one. Did I mention they upgraded me to second day air?

09-13-2011, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
My replacement K5 from B/H Photo ships today plus they credited my card $102.00 because of the price drop! Can't wait to get this camera back. The few days I had it was a real tease. Keeping my fingers crossed. May need some help from Otis on this one. Did I mention they upgraded me to second day air?
Otis has a Gold Medal in one paw....and a Hand Grenade in the other. Best of luck!

Just pull for the "Otis Guarantee"! Now I know why we haven't heard from those with his fantastic "Otis Guarantee"!
Name:  Grenade.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  8.3 KB

Regards!
09-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL! Hopefully no complaints this time around. I think one thing Pentax needs to do is make the virtual levels user adjustable. Should be an easy firmware fix. Although they do give us pixel remapping, and that I would not give up easily.
09-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Improvements could be made no doubt! But for those with the Otis Guarantee, help is just a pull pin away! He has tried to get me to test his warranty, but every time I get close and see him in all that heavy gear and behind that big iron shield, I get cold feet.......

My guess is that you will find some problem ...not wishing for it, for sure, but I swear Mrs Rupert can ruin perfection better than anyone I know. I've spent a lifetime watching her make misery out of magic........don't know why that is, I just go on and mostly ignore it. But...every so often she surprises me and finds something that is "all right".....maybe you will have such luck with this K5.
Regards!

09-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't know, my hands feeling a little twitchy.
09-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Not a good sign, but who knows, you might get a bang out of it after all!
Regards!
09-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My Luck, I'll get a perfect one then drop it!
09-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Well Tony my sincere hope you remain nimble fingered and that the replacement K5 works out for you. Glad to hear the dealer stood behind you, good dealers deserve our continued business despite occasional differences in price.

Must admit tho, while my own K5 circa late Nov 2010 has so far after 16K shutter clicks been trouble free I have been hesitant about buying a 2nd one, tho I would like to.

Part of my reluctance comes from the wide variety of problems being reported lately as I get this feeling that Hoya in its fading days of Pentax stewardship simply hasn't been paying that much attention to QC. I look forward to Ricoh taking charge as I used to have one of their film cameras way back when (an XR1) and always thought they made reliable stuff. I would feel immensely better buying a K5 now if I knew for certain Ricoh had some active role in manufacturing during the transition. Hopefully Ricoh will quickly declare its unconditional support for the K5 and KR and tighten up the supply line and QC that have cast a cloud on the Pentax nameplate just when it has superior camera designs.

Just as a comment - if/when K5 factory refurbs ever become available, I think they will be a good deal. My K200D was a factory refurb bought thru Best Buy and it has been a wonderful trouble free camera. On the other hand I personally would steer clear of 98% of any used K5s on EBay or similar as I suspect many would simply be trying to unload problem units.

09-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geezer52 Quote
Well Tony my sincere hope you remain nimble fingered and that the replacement K5 works out for you. Glad to hear the dealer stood behind you, good dealers deserve our continued business despite occasional differences in price.

Must admit tho, while my own K5 circa late Nov 2010 has so far after 16K shutter clicks been trouble free I have been hesitant about buying a 2nd one, tho I would like to.

Part of my reluctance comes from the wide variety of problems being reported lately as I get this feeling that Hoya in its fading days of Pentax stewardship simply hasn't been paying that much attention to QC. I look forward to Ricoh taking charge as I used to have one of their film cameras way back when (an XR1) and always thought they made reliable stuff. I would feel immensely better buying a K5 now if I knew for certain Ricoh had some active role in manufacturing during the transition. Hopefully Ricoh will quickly declare its unconditional support for the K5 and KR and tighten up the supply line and QC that have cast a cloud on the Pentax nameplate just when it has superior camera designs.

Just as a comment - if/when K5 factory refurbs ever become available, I think they will be a good deal. My K200D was a factory refurb bought thru Best Buy and it has been a wonderful trouble free camera. On the other hand I personally would steer clear of 98% of any used K5s on EBay or similar as I suspect many would simply be trying to unload problem units.
I totally agree. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed. I do love the camera, and coming for a K7 I'll have no problem jumping right in. Should have never sold my K7 till this K5 was all squared away.