Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Perhaps you're not aware that pretty much all of the image processing tools in Adobe Lightroom are exactly the same in Adobe Photoshop's Camera Raw (ACR).

Lightroom and ACR share the same image processing engine. Where Lightroom has the edge is in the ease in image cataloging but one can use Adobe Bridge to catalog, sort and rate your images just as easily. Most of day to day image processing work for photographers can be done by Lightroom alone, but Photoshop can do far more like image compositing, panoramas, image stacking, selective image retouching and manipulation and more. The biggest plus to use these software is because the image edits are non-destructive and reversible. They process RAW, jpeg and other file formats with no fuss and with the greatest possible control.
Actually yes I did know that Lightroom uses the same raw engine as PS. As you say, most of the work can be done in Lightroom which is so much easier to use. I agree too that for very intense editing you need PS. That is why it is becoming a verb in English such as "did you photoshop that image"? With a high end Photoshop setup you can do pretty much anything but most photographers don't need that much editing capacity and if they do, they already have PS. I would recommend Lightroom to anyone (although I still find the printing to be more difficult than it should be).