Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #1

Trouble with K5s?

I am about to pull the trigger on a new K5. What troubles should I look for and have they ironed them out yet?

thanks

09-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Everything from exploding in your hand to freezing and causing a giant snowstorm.......but otherwise, nothing in particular. I suggest you just read a lot here, there are abundant threads on the subject...subjects....I think the K5 is the most tested camera ever made.

Still, Otis recommends it 100% and so do I. Not a problem in the world with my fantastic K5......but I am just a typical K5 owner, so you might want to overlook my satisfaction. At any rate, the Otis Guarantee assures a speedy remedy to any problems you might encounter. I just saw the details of it in another thread and old Tony maybe the first to give it a try........hope not, but it's there if he needs it!

Suggest you review here too....makes your heart pound a little fast, but well worth the visit!
Post your photos! - PentaxForums.com
Best Regards!
Rupert
09-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by durr3 Quote
I am about to pull the trigger on a new K5. What troubles should I look for and have they ironed them out yet?

thanks
I don't think you will have any trouble with it, i've had my k5 since Feb and its a terrific camera. The latest issue was the flopping mirror and the most recent fixes of that take about 2 weeks in the best servicing countries. But i haven't experienced that, and don't expect to. A few people seem to want to extrapolate a few occurrences into a wholesale problem for everyone. That just hasn't been the case for most issues. Even the sensor stain wasn't an every camera issue. I've had no sensor stain, no focus problems, no mirror flopping, no problems at all.

Its a very advanced camera and i wouldnt' sell mine back!!!
09-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I fired off about 100 photos in 1 hour at the weekend at a wedding (not the official photographer) and the K5 plus DA*50-135, performed flawlessly.
I have owned mine since November last year (one of the first in the country) and I have been more than happy with it. Almost 10,000 clicks now.

09-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I have shot 628 images in the past week, no problems so far.
I did update the firm-ware to 1.11 right after unpacking it just to avoid any possible issues.
09-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #6

Hey durr3, picked up mine about three weeks ago and love every minute of it. I did a fair bit of research regarding the stain issue/mirror flops, but here's the thing, get the camera, get the extended warranty, and make sure the camera is in the 4xx xxx serial number range. All DSLRs have their own unique issues. I landed on Pentax because it strikes me that they stand behind their product for better or worse. Plus I had a k1000 when I was a kid.
09-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had mine since mid July and it has worked fine. It is a great camera. All new high end camera's seem to have some troubles as they have squeezed a lot into that little package.
09-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a K-7 and am also lusting over the '5, and I am also worried about the reported issues.

A friend of mine has a K-5 and he suffers from consistent over-exposure with his 540 flash in P-TTL mode, which is one of the widely reported issues IIRC.

His workaround is to dial a constant -2 flash compensation for livable results. I admit it scared me off, although I did not research the problem and its available solutions and have no idea how common it is.

my 2c

Noam

09-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've had my K5 since launch.
Was one of the first few batches in the world in fact.

No real issues except for minor stains issue that appeared at f16 and higher (which mainly affected the very early batches), which was sorted out by sending back to Japan for replacement.
No big deal with the stain actually as I shoot no more than 10 picts at f16 or f22 in a year.

At worst, camera is under warranty.
09-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #10

Pentax K-5, 16 gb sd-card: Experienced that pictures where deleted from memory card (16GB), shortly after a new sequence of exposures. There was about 14 gb free space on the card. Only the last sequence (3-10 exposures) where stored at the card. Pictures taken the day before (another folder on the card) where not deleted.
Any suggestions for explanation?
Knufo
09-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by knufo Quote
Pentax K-5, 16 gb sd-card: Experienced that pictures where deleted from memory card (16GB), shortly after a new sequence of exposures. There was about 14 gb free space on the card. Only the last sequence (3-10 exposures) where stored at the card. Pictures taken the day before (another folder on the card) where not deleted.
Knufo
Had a similar experience once with the K5...it was the card....but the card works perfectly in the K20D? Since I changed cards it hasn't happened again....it is still a mystery to me?
Regards!
09-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by knufo Quote
Knufo
Try reformatting the card, especially with a different camera, if you haven't already done that. Deleting images from the card does not do the same thing as a reformat.

good luck
09-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #13

Thank you. I already formatted the card, and have not had this problem again so far (have not taken many exposures yet).
best wishes from Knut
09-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by durr3 Quote

thanks
You can go back in time on this forum and get a good idea of how many issues the K5 has had. I did the other day, and came up with over a dozen ways that the K5 seems to have managed to break itself on it's owners.
Every camera is bound to have something wrong with it, the designers can't possibly imagine every situation that the camera will be in, but the number of different problems that the k5 has had since introduction a year or so ago is startlingly high, I think much higher than any other camera to come down the pike since Mamiya made 35mm cameras.
09-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I think that the K5 has done something to my precious bodily fluids...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to launch some B-52s...

;P

Seriously though, the have been many issues reported about the K5. Some, like the sensor stain problem are long gone (unless you're unlucky enough to purchase a problem early production camera). Others, like the flash bounce overexposure problem are still waiting for resolution. Then, there's the ongoing mirror overrun problem. Well, nothing perfect.