Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Lately I've been using Av with the aperture on the rear dial and Exposure Compensation on the front (Tv is configured the same way). ISO floats between 80 and 32000. Until the K5 I never messed with exposure compensation but I've become a huge proponent of it with the K5. I know there's a button for it but having it on one of the e-dials in the semi auto modes, makes getting the shot a breeze. Especially when using spot metering and chasing a moving object (The Hound). As for the in camera processing, I never use it and couldn't even tell you where it's set. Every photo I use comes from the PEF RAW file.

My settings are much like yours Jeff.....99% of my shots are set at Av...........I have the ISO Auto set to limit it to 80-1600..............

09-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
My settings are much like yours Jeff.....99% of my shots are set at Av...........I have the ISO Auto set to limit it to 80-1600..............
It works nicely. I've always had ISO on the front. In the semi modes, if you push the green button, it will activate the Auto ISO, and the front dial would set it to a fixed number (push the ISO button and hit the green button to put ISO in auto). However, even with the other cameras, I found the front dial got little use that way. Up until a few months ago, I've lived primarily in M mode. Find something neutral-ish grey, hit the green button, and then fire away.

09-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

This is a great idea for a thread. I'm definitely thinking of making the jump up from my K10d to a K-5 soon. I think one thing that probably gets underutilized on the K-5 is the user modes. Rupert, sounds like you could set up a "Red" user mode, set the camera just like you would like it for that situation, and be able to move in and out of that user mode quickly. I remember in another thread that somebody set up a user mode for the case where you are handing your camera to someone that doesn't know what their doing to take a picture of you, to have it set so that they can handle it. For example, in that mode I would have the cam set to Auto focus points where normally I have it on center point.

Also, because of how well it handles high ISO, I may be able to make more use out of AUTO ISO than I ever have before, and maybe TAV also.
09-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Jake, that is a good idea...I have never taken advantage of the User Mode, but should. I shoot 99% in Tav...find it fantastic....the only variable is the ISO, and with the K5 I have it set up to 12,800. Might not get a great shot, but if it needs 12,800, then it beats no shot at all when speed is required, as is often the case. Squirrels are fast movers, but I have noticed they are getting so fat they are slowing down considerably.......winter is coming. Some of them could last until April without eating, I do believe!

This one claimed he was "conserving energy" for a big race event....yeah sure!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards & Thanks!