Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have an email from Pentax -- I wrote them to ask if I was still eligible to buy the extended warranty even though I purchased the camera back in June. Their note said that I could still purchase the warranty, and gave me a link to Adorama. I'll hang onto those emails from Pentax, just in case.

09-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was thinking of getting on myself after having two repairs done already... I'd like some confirmation as well before I try buying one. Still have a few months of the 1-year warranty left.
09-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #18

Helen, thanks again for looking into this. I am not worried about the $20, I always thought that it may be too good to be true, but I do not like to be mislead. I had planned on writing Pentax and asking for something from them in writing. Like many others here, I have been a Pentax customer for decades and always trusted the company to the point of recommending their products to friends, as well as owning several Pentax cameras and lenses over the years.

Instead of writing Pentax I will wait to hear from you. I only hope that Pentax will make an exception to their rule, especially to those customers that have already had problems with their cameras. If they do not honor the warranty, than I too would like to know why Adorama would sell it.

Wayne
09-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
Just to add to this discussion: I bought my K5 from B&H in May. I asked their rep. using their online chat and he told me that "the warranty needs to be purchased within 90 days of the purchase date of the camera". I then contacted Pentax customer service and the rep. there told me that "Pentax's policy is that the warranty needs to be purchased within 30 days"! He then went and asked his supervisor and came back and said - "you can purchase it anytime, doesn't matter. If and when you need warranty service, all we ask for is the purchase receipt, and if you have an extended warranty card. If you have the card we cover for 36 months, otherwise for 12 months calculated from the purchase date on the receipt. The extended warranty card does not have a date on it."
I would also like to mention - the Pentax customer service folks have always been very cooperative and helpful everytime I talk to them.
Anyways, I just now bought my extended warranty from Adorama using the sponsor link of our forum.

09-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
Rats I knew I forgot something.Didn't use the sponsor link but, I too, purchased my K5 in May and just purchased the extended warranty from Adorama. Great thread thanks
09-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #21
Adorama Camera Representative

Anyone affected by this, ie you purchased a Pentax warranty from Adorama MORE than 30 days after purchasing your unt, please be in contact with me: Helen@adorama.com with your order number, and we will ensure that your warranty is honored.

BUT, please be aware of our upcoming Holiday schedule http://cot.ag/nfsgly; which means I won't be getting back to you immediately!
09-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My conversation about the Extended warranties with a Pentax Rep..

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to Michael C.
Michael C: Thank you for contacting Pentax chat support Jeff , how may I help you?
Jeff JS: I just have a simple question about an Extended warranty B&H Photo is selling..
Michael C: sure
Jeff JS: My K5 was recently replaced under warranty for the stains on the sensor.
Jeff JS: My understanding is, Warranty starts as of replacement date?
Jeff JS: In other words, Starts over. Original date of purchase end of october.
Michael C: the Pentax warranty is from the date of purchase, not the replacement date
Michael C: so if it is the Pentax extended warranty, it will not change at all
Jeff JS: That clears that up. Can I buy and use the Extended warranty from B&H?
Michael C: it is simply from the date of purchase
Michael C: absolutely
Michael C: I believe they offer the Pentax extended warranty and they might also have there own offerings as well
Jeff JS: So if I buy it now, the remaining time on Extended warranty would be 2 years 8 months
Michael C: there is a time limit to purchasing the extended warranty from the date of purchase
Michael C: let me verify this for you, one moment please
Jeff JS: Actual delviery date of the camera was Nov 4 2010
Michael C: you should still be able to purchase it, yes sir
Jeff JS: For curiosity sake, what is the time limit to purchase an extended warranty?
Michael C: we ask that it be purchased within 90 days of the original purchase date
Michael C: technically, it is ok if it purchased within the first year
Jeff JS: Very good as I'm beyond the 90 days no matter how I slice it. Should be good?
Michael C: yes sir, you are all good

Jeff JS: Thank you very much for your time.
Michael C: You're welcome Jeff

I suggest that people do their own inquiries with the manufacturer before purchasing any warranties from anyone of any brand.

09-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #23

From what I get from this thread, the Pentax warranty is not transferable if you purchase a used K5 and you won't be able to purchase the extended warranty either, is this correct? This information would be good to know if you were planning on getting a used K5.

Tom