Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

K5 extended warranty: It's not too late

I just purchased the extended warranty for my K5. I purchased the camera in June, and bought the extended warranty from Adorama yesterday. I didn't know about the extended warranty -- or, it wasn't available -- at the time I purchased the camera, so I wrote to Pentax and asked if I could buy one now. I got the green light, so made the purchase yesterday. At $19.95, it seems to me this is a steal. So -- in case you thought you were out-of-the-running because you purchased your K5 *without* the warranty: It's not too late.

09-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
funny, i was told it IS too late. Fred and Helen at Adorama told me that after 30-days from camera purchase(i bought in June too), they cannot sell me the $19.95 warranty, but i'd need to do the $109 Mack warranty. I read so many horrible reviews about the Mack Camera warranty that i would rather put $100 under my mattress and pray that my camera doesn't have a problem.

so what's the story folks?
09-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I may just get one myself.....after learning yesterday of the details in the fine print of the Otis Guarantee...it might be a wise decision.
Regards!

[IMG] [/IMG]
09-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

LOL WTHeck is Otis up to.

From my understanding you have 6 months to buy the warranty. This I was told from a Pentax representative when I was doing some research for the forum. As we can see in the post Pentax is pretty good at giving that warranty. Now as I said before B&H and others would love to sell you a much more expensive warranty and may not give you the information your looking for. It very well may be true that ADROMA will only sell the warranty if you buy at time of purchase with the camera. So go right to Pentax. Pentax also sells the warranty but not for $20, its $100. If I was a betting man I would bet the that $100 warranty of 3 years on a K-5 will pay for itself and you will be very happy you bought it. Having such a long warranty on something like a dSLR brings a lot of piece of mind. CRIS cameras in the USA is great with its turn around times (as long as Pentax gives them the parts) and you get a free tune-up (a must have after 3 years of use). Just do it if you can.

09-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just buy it on Adorama website

As of the moment of this post, you put Pentax warranty in the search box on the Adorama website. A link to its page appears. Click and buy. Jim R. reported somewhere that he did just that although he purchased his K-5 elsewhere.
09-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Right, I bought mine from Adorama: I was directed there by Pentax in response to an email query. I too got my K5 elsewhere.
09-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
.......It very well may be true that ADROMA will only sell the warranty if you buy at time of purchase with the camera. ......

Just checked out another retailer, and they have the same stipulation on their website:

Pentax 2 Year Extended Warranty 80205 B&H Photo Video

Pentax 2 Year Extended Warranty for Optio Cameras

Note 1: Can only be purchased within 30 days of original equipment purchase.

09-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #8

I bought my K5 from B&H in April and the mirror started flopping late July. Off it went to CRIS for repair around the first of August. After it came back I found out about the Pentax factory warranty and ordered one in September from Adorama. The warranty card arrived with no mention on it, or in the paperwork with it when it must be purchased. In fact, it was not linked to a particular camera at all. If I need service it tells me to send in the camera, the original camera invoice, and the extended warranty card and the invoice for the extended warranty.

I would have a hard time believing that Pentax would not honor the warranty when they do not state in writing on their own paperwork when it must be purchased, especially if the camera has already been repaired under warranty once. Of course, I could be wrong, I just hope I do not have to find out.

Wayne
09-22-2011, 01:32 AM   #9

Just double-checked the Pentax site Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site and it states:

The extended limited warranty is registered with PENTAX Imaging Company. It is not refundable or transferable and is only valid if received at the same time as the purchase of a new PENTAX Camera, which is covered by a PENTAX New Product One-Year Limited Warranty. This extended warranty applies only to the PENTAX Cameras distributed solely by the U.S. distributor, PENTAX Imaging Company, 633 17th Street, Suite 2600, Denver, Colorado 80202 and purchased from a PENTAX authorized dealer.
09-22-2011, 04:22 AM   #10

Thanks Helen,

So now we must question the intentions of Adorama if they sell a warranty to a customer while also knowing full well that it is no good. Or, is it just "buyer beware" when we deal with them.

Wayne
09-22-2011, 04:28 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by toooldtocare Quote
Thanks Helen,

So now we must question the intentions of Adorama if they sell a warranty to a customer while also knowing full well that it is no good. Or, is it just "buyer beware" when we deal with them.

Wayne
Believe me, I'm already on the case with this one!
09-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by toooldtocare Quote
Thanks Helen,

Wayne
well wouldnt you know, per this thread i went ahead and purchased the warranty from Adorama and just received my warranty card yesterday. now i'm reading that i've purchased an invalid warranty. now what?!
sheesh!
09-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
well wouldnt you know, per this thread i went ahead and purchased the warranty from Adorama and just received my warranty card yesterday. now i'm reading that i've purchased an invalid warranty. now what?!
sheesh!
I'm waiting for advice from the purchasing department as to what we need to do and will update you here asap.

However, if we've messed up nobody will be out-of-pocket, you have my word
09-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank You. I too purchased the extended warranty from your store. I contacted Pentax to register per the instructions on the warranty and was told the extended warranty might or might not be honored if I need to use it after the original 1 year period lapses.
I sincerely appreciate your attention to this matter and look forward to your response/resolution.
Thanks again - Ken Marceau
09-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #15

I wouldn't be too quick to disable selling it - numerous members have reported direct from Pentax:
a. It's fine, standard policy allows for purchase up to 90 days after camera purchase.
b. Pentax will generally honor it if purchased in the first year/before original warrantee runs out.

Considering the state of parts of Pentax's web site (example, the extended warrantee points you to registering on their site, but - you can't. Links to old/dead pentaxian non-updated web sites, etc - I would take Pentax corporates word over pentx web site potential mis-information.