Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Two things to always ask

1. Are you an authorised Pentax dealer/seller?

2. Specifically ask if they include a Pentax USA warranty with the camera.

*There are 3 ebayers selling within $1 of each other around $1049 - and each different named seller with similar ad is located in Somerset, NJ. calling up a red flag alert: bigvalueinc; 800photovideo and electronicsvalley

I've asked each one (probably the same outfit) for the above info and await their reply. These guys might have their own repair joint if any, but maybe not Pentax USA warranty. We'll see.

*UPDATE: Confirmed - All three are the same outfit with different names and telephone numbers - They do NOT include Pentax USA warranty - repairs are done through an un-named third party outfit. Caveat Emptor.

Last edited by solar1; 09-25-2011 at 11:57 AM.
09-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Pentax will provide a more authoritative answer to question number 1. Whom else would you trust, the dealer itself? "Pay no attention to what Pentax says, my friend, we're fully authorized." Right.

Please remember that Pentax USA sells through multiple channels and not all are "factory authorized". Some simply do not want to sign on to every requirement that Pentax demands to make that list. But Pentax will happily sell through those dealers and honor the US warranty without question.

Pentax does not include warranty paperwork with its cameras - at least I've never seen any after four SLRs from authorized sellers. If you have a US receipt showing the purchase, complete with date, you should have no problem.

If I see someone operating under three names like that, all my alarms will go off. Stay clear.
09-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Warranty form

I have received a warraty form with each of the cameras and lenses I've purchased. At least I think it was. It did have the serial number on it.
09-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want better service (or marketplace access ) I would get it from a retailer- otherwise, as long as the ebay bodies are new, I wouldn't see a problem with it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kwar Quote
I have received a warraty form with each of the cameras and lenses I've purchased. At least I think it was. It did have the serial number on it.
I, too, have received a card with the cameras' model and serial numbers. IIRC, the text specifically notes that it is not a warranty card but instead a handy way to keep track of model and serial numbers. The purchaser is asked to keep it as a reference, not as a warranty.

The itemized and dated receipt is the vital document for warranty work.
09-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Ebay seller bigvalueinc: grey market - no pentax usa warranty

Thank you for your email, this is an imported model and it comes with a one year warranty from our company.

Andres
Support
BigValueInc
866-673-7187

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
1. Are you an authorised Pentax dealer/seller?

2. Specifically ask if they include a Pentax USA warranty with the camera.

There are 3 ebayers selling within $1 of each other around $1049 - and each different named seller with similar ad is located in Somerset, NJ. calling up a red flag alert: bigvalueinc; 800photovideo and electronicsvalley

I've asked each one (probably the same outfit) for the above info and await their reply. These guys might have their own repair joint if any, but maybe not Pentax USA warranty. We'll see.
09-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Same outfit

Thank you for your email, this is an imported model and it has a one year warranty with our company.

Andres

Support
ElectronicsValley(800)886-8575

09-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

More of the same

Thank you for your email, this is an imported model and it has a one year warranty with our company.

Andres

Support
800 Photo Video
(800)369-6239
09-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting the updates! Now you get to decide what value to give that one-year dealer warranty - a warranty that's undoubtedly subbed out to Acme Camera Repair and Maritime Salvage, Inc.

I know others use the expression, but I have to chuckle when I see that someone describes a grey-market camera as being "imported". Does that mean that the Pentax USA models are manufactured in downtown Denver?
09-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #25
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Just my thinking...B&H and Adorama...they are there...well known...trusted...dependable. Just a phone call away, always helpful, no high pressure to add on a ton of junk with your order. Worth it to me!
Regards!
That's nice, thank you
09-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #26

eBay changed?

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
...a warranty that's undoubtedly subbed out to Acme Camera Repair and Maritime Salvage, Inc.
Please sir, have more respect for maritime salvagers.

More seriously, is it just me or are there more dubious Buy It Now retailers on eBay today than a year or two ago?
09-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #27

Thank you for sharing, it is very helpful. I almost made a order.
QuoteOriginally posted by kwar Quote
The ad I read stated that the cameras were covered by a 90 day parts and labor warranty and a 1 year parts warranty but not a factory warranty. Also my previous experience with Pentax for warranty issues is that ebay and paypal receipts are not accepted.
09-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by russell2pi Quote
In any case, another post on these forums highlights the fact that Nikon spares its Australian customers this dilemma by banning offshore retailers from competing with local extortionists. We get a lot of that here in AU unfortunately. A lot of things are twice the price. So much for free market economics.
Far be it to get in the way of your complaints about overpriced retail in Oz - I know its the rhetoric everyone loves to spew despite its inaccuracies outside of cherry picked examples - but your quoting the Ted's Camera price - not retail or what you can actually buy the camera for *in person*

Digital Cameras -Buy CHEAP at Digital Camera Warehouse

Thats a Bricks + Mortar store too btw... $1159, and you can walk in and walk out with it.... despite our $20/hour Casual Retail Min. Wage, 10 days sick leave and four weeks annual leave Camerastore in Adelaide are also offering that price BTW walk in walk out...

(Also - btw - CR Kennedy revised the MSRP about 7 days ago to $1349 body only, $1499 w/ Kit Lens... so teds are now officially waaaayyyy off RRP - but like I said - don't want to get in the way of a Retail Whinge.... )

Last edited by adr1an; 09-21-2011 at 06:26 PM.