Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust in VF...

I've got a few specs of dust showing up in my viewfinder that are driving me nuts. I tried to blow them out, but that didn't work. So I took the brush on my lenspen and tried to brush them off of the mirror and focusing screen but I'm afraid that did more damage than it did good. Now I've got slight streaks on the mirror because of the brush! So, how do I get the mirror clean and how do I get rid of that pesky dust?

Btw, I never had dust get into my K-7... but maybe that was because I didn't change lenses as often back then...

09-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Got this from another Forum, so no credit to me:

"No need to be so squeamish. An occasional cleaning is okay.

I worked in the camera repair department at Olympus USA.
Many cameras that came in for repair had smudged mirrors.

We would wrap several layers of lens tissue around
the end of a long tweezers, and dip this in Freon.
Any good liquid lens cleaner should work as well.
Make sure it's well moistened, but not dripping wet.
Rub gently for a few seconds until the smudge is gone.

If you hold the camera mirror down and work carefully
you won't come near the focus screen or mirror bumper."

At your own risk, though. I was told NEVER clean the mirror because it is silvered on the front and very delicate.
09-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
At your own risk, though. I was told NEVER clean the mirror because it is silvered on the front and very delicate.
Good advice. The mirror, I discovered 2 dlsr's ago, is, as you say, very delicate. I dragged a piece of lens tissue very lightly across the mirror of my K10D, and the visible scratch it left was worse than the speck of dust I was trying to remove. If the blower doesn't get rid of the dust, learn to ignore it.