Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #1

Internal cross processing not saving?

I know it's sort of taboo, but I like the internal cross processing and other digital effects on the K-5. I'm not sure how handy they'll be in real life, but I'm liking them so far. As long as you don't go overboard, and use them tastefully, it beats sitting in front of the computer for hours.

Anyway, there's supposed to be an option for cross processing where you can save your "favorite" look into one of three slots. What I've found is that if I save a look, it persists until I turn off and on the camera again. Then it wipes those slots, and my "favorite" cross process looks are gone.

Any idea what's going on here? I'm going to update to the newer firmware, but I didn't see anything like this mentioned in the bugfixes from previous updates.

09-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Otis asks....did you RTFM? Just asking........
Regards!
09-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is it an option in the menu where you choose wich options to remember in memory?
09-17-2011, 01:55 AM   #4

Original Poster
RTFM....? What's that?

Yes, it's an option in the menu, and if you like a certain cross processed look, it saves it for you in one of three slots. I see from your signature you have a K-5 ... take a look for yourself, and see if the same happens to you. That would be helpful!

09-17-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just looked at it.

No idea how you make it your own. I see that you can memorise the options. So it should be in the manual how to do that.
09-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Otis translates....
"Read The Feckin Manual" Lately he has been yelling this out to me as I walk out the door on to the rear deck......except to me he always adds "you idiot!"

He's right, and one of these days I am going to read it, I promise!

Best Regards!
09-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Under Memory (record menu 5) select the tic that says Cross Processing. Otherwise it will default to off (not remember your setting) when you turn off the camera.

09-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #8

Original Poster
D'oh! That'll do it. *facepalm*

Thanks!

09-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hmm...actually, it didn't do it. For whatever reason, the "My Favorites" 1, 2, and 3 just won't save the setting when the camera's turned off and on again.

Not sure, then, what the "memory" setting did when I went in there. Other settings perhaps?
09-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Don't know. I didn't look that far into it, just having it remember what the last CP setting was is as far as I went.

09-18-2011, 04:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mmrempen Quote
I know it's sort of taboo, but I like the internal cross processing and other digital effects on the K-5.
Me too. And I'm not afraid to admit it. This was done with cross processing preset no.2.

QuoteOriginally posted by mmrempen Quote
Anyway, there's supposed to be an option for cross processing where you can save your "favorite" look into one of three slots. What I've found is that if I save a look, it persists until I turn off and on the camera again. Then it wipes those slots, and my "favorite" cross process looks are gone.
That sounds wrong. If you manage to save a look to one of your favorite cross process slots, it should persist across power cyclings. It does for me on my K-5. Get it fixed on the warranty before it expires.

If you got the camera from a brick-and-mortar shop, go to that shop and try the procedure on another camera in that shop. That way you'll learn whether it's your particular camera or something you do.

Fellow cross processors unite!

Regards,
--Anders.
09-18-2011, 06:02 AM   #12

Original Poster
Yeah, it should persist, which is why I wanted to see if others had the same problem - clearly not, so, time to take 'er in! Luckily, I bought from a brick-and-mortar for exactly this reason, so I wouldn't have to wait around.

Off I go! Thanks!
09-20-2011, 06:13 AM   #13

Original Poster
Okay, figured it out, in case anybody has this "problem" again. I took it to the store, and, of course it worked fine, and the shopkeep looked at me like I was a moron, and I solved it.

Earlier, I'd been using it on "User" mode. I'd set a User mode specifically for Cross-Processing, so when I clicked over to it, the cross-process filter would be all set and ready to go. What I didn't know is that those 3 "My Favorite" cross process slots are NOT universal for the whole camera! The User mode reverts to ANY and ALL settings you've got set up for it, so if you change the "My Favorite" cross process in User mode, and switch off and on again, the User reverts once more to what you ORIGINALLY had set up - erasing what you'd just set. So - and this is obvious now - if you set something up in "User," it stays that way, overriding all the camera's other settings, unless you change it manually.

In the store, it was set to "P," my usual setting, so ... it was of course saving the "My Favorite" even after it turned off.

There ye go.

I guess an unintended discovery from all this is that you can have far more than 3 "My Favorite" cross process settings. If each "User" setting was given its own 3 favorites, you could potentially save up to 18 "favorite" cross-process looks! If you would ever want that is a different story.
04-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
Thanks god you found the root cause.
But I really don't know how to create/save a custom favorite cross process. Could you make some guide?
04-15-2012, 01:58 AM   #15

Original Poster
The manual has a pretty good guide on saving favorite CP looks. It's the details of which modes it works on and which modes it doesn't that the manual falls short on explaining.

If you still can't figure it out after consulting the book let me know, I'll try to explain it in more detail.