Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some K-5 Night Scene PP

I got my new K-5 today and was interested in seeing how well shadows can be retrieved compared to what I'm used to with the K20D.

The scene to the naked eye is quite dim with a single street light down this end of the street. Lens is a Pentax-M 50/F1.7 @ f/4.5. (The lens is MF & ME. MF was a bit difficult here as I could not see much though the VF at this light level. I shone a torch on the wall and got the focus confirmation beep.) Shots were taken at ISO80, shot in raw and developed in SilkyPix Developer Pro 4.

The first exposure was for 60s. The shot barely reached halfway on the histogram and needed WB. After WBing the exposure level dropped a bit more. I applied +2 EV of exposure boost:

Here is just the clump of flowers at 100%. It's a bit OOF, as the focus point was the wall across the street, but the shadows are not too bad after 2EV of boosting.

The next shot was for 195s. It was a much better exposure, but slumped a bit after WBing. This time I've applied 0.7EV of exposure boost and since I had a better exposure was also able to apply a Dodging level of 50, increase the Contrast Centre from 0.46 to 0.52 and increase sharpening to Natural Fine.

Here is a 100% crop of the tree area in this 2nd shot. You can now see more into this area.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 09-17-2011 at 02:16 PM.
09-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Welcome to the club, Dan!

Don't be afraid to let the ISO fly.

Last edited by JeffJS; 09-17-2011 at 09:52 AM.
09-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Welcome to the club, Dan!

Don't be afraid to let the ISO fly.

Yes, welcome...and I do agree with Jeff...let the ISO fly...it will amaze you. The abilities are there, and the results are generally good enough for most use, and can reduce a lot of processing to begin with. The advanced metering also helps with getting the best exposure in many situations.
Best Regards!
09-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome Dan

And as said don't be scared of High ISO anymore

09-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's some pretty impressive PP!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: