Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
charliezap's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: saugus ma
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,190
Sensor spots?

I've been noticing lately especially when I do macro work-that there are spots in the photos.I have a blower for dust but I think that is more than dust.The camera is only several months old.Bottom line--what is available for a cleaning medium?Help--charliezap

Attached Images
 
09-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
charliezap's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: saugus ma
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,190
Original Poster
I just looked real close at the sensor and it seems to have a few "smudges" on it.Will a swab type sensor cleaner be effective?--charliezap
09-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Saarbrucken
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 241
Dear Charlie,
I had a similar problem once. So, I went to Hunt's Photo & Video in Boston and got a set of sensor cleaning swabs (Eclipse kit). The person in the store was so nice to clean the sensor for me. Basically I had a more dirty sensor that in your case with some sticky material. And swabs really helped. And people in that store are very nice and helpful. There is one store more close to Lynn, close to Oak Groove station of Orange line.
Hope this will be helpful.
Best regards,
Yuriy
09-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter
les3547's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sebastopol, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,871
QuoteOriginally posted by yurko_yr Quote
Dear Charlie,
I had a similar problem once. So, I went to Hunt's Photo & Video in Boston and got a set of sensor cleaning swabs (Eclipse kit). The person in the store was so nice to clean the sensor for me. Basically I had a more dirty sensor that in your case with some sticky material. And swabs really helped. And people in that store are very nice and helpful. There is one store more close to Lynn, close to Oak Groove station of Orange line.
Hope this will be helpful.
Best regards,
Yuriy
I've done the same thing using the same Eclipse kit, just last week (it does work well), and yesterday when I tested the sensor by shooting a blue sky, a new spot had showed up.

I wonder if anyone knows how they get on there. I don't shoot in the rain, or around anything that produces moisture or oil, and I change my lenses quickly in clean settings. I am truly mystified at their source. Maybe they are oozing up from the bowels of the sensor?

09-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 206
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I've done the same thing using the same Eclipse kit, just last week (it does work well), and yesterday when I tested the sensor by shooting a blue sky, a new spot had showed up.

I wonder if anyone knows how they get on there. I don't shoot in the rain, or around anything that produces moisture or oil, and I change my lenses quickly in clean settings. I am truly mystified at their source. Maybe they are oozing up from the bowels of the sensor?
If they're able to be removed, they aren't 'oozing up from the bowels of the sensor' The sensor isn't uncovered, it has a thin layer of glass/AA filter on top of it. Look at the simple case - zoom lenses move air when being zoomed, maybe the inside of one or more lenses isn't as clean as you thought, or it helped to bring in some pollen or other particulate?
09-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
charliezap's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: saugus ma
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,190
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yurko_yr Quote
Dear Charlie,
I had a similar problem once. So, I went to Hunt's Photo & Video in Boston and got a set of sensor cleaning swabs (Eclipse kit). The person in the store was so nice to clean the sensor for me. Basically I had a more dirty sensor that in your case with some sticky material. And swabs really helped. And people in that store are very nice and helpful. There is one store more close to Lynn, close to Oak Groove station of Orange line.
Hope this will be helpful.
Best regards,
Yuriy
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I've done the same thing using the same Eclipse kit, just last week (it does work well), and yesterday when I tested the sensor by shooting a blue sky, a new spot had showed up.

I wonder if anyone knows how they get on there. I don't shoot in the rain, or around anything that produces moisture or oil, and I change my lenses quickly in clean settings. I am truly mystified at their source. Maybe they are oozing up from the bowels of the sensor?
QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
If they're able to be removed, they aren't 'oozing up from the bowels of the sensor' The sensor isn't uncovered, it has a thin layer of glass/AA filter on top of it. Look at the simple case - zoom lenses move air when being zoomed, maybe the inside of one or more lenses isn't as clean as you thought, or it helped to bring in some pollen or other particulate?
Thanks for the tips guys.I just got back from Hunt's and will try it out after looking at the instructional video.
09-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter
les3547's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sebastopol, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,871
QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
If they're able to be removed, they aren't 'oozing up from the bowels of the sensor' The sensor isn't uncovered, it has a thin layer of glass/AA filter on top of it. Look at the simple case - zoom lenses move air when being zoomed, maybe the inside of one or more lenses isn't as clean as you thought, or it helped to bring in some pollen or other particulate?
Any theory as to why is welcome. I don't own zooms anymore, just primes which were all bought brand new (except for one I found in mint condition), and maintained as carefully and cleanly as a doctor handles his instruments (I might be exaggerating a tad ).

Possibly you are suggesting it is a normal and unavoidable thing? If so I have wondered that myself. It would be interesting for some of us to test that hypothesis and report what's found. A good test is to shoot a blue sky, it shows everything.
09-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,149
You use telescopes?. They can be pretty messy for some reason, at least in my experience.
I find my Delkin Devices Sensor Scope kit to be very effective for wet cleaning.

09-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
les3547's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sebastopol, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,871
I was thinking possibly condensation of normal air moisture might happen, and if the air is also dusty or something similar, that might leave behind a residue. I know the stains don't easily wipe off, it takes some effort to remove them. The K7 is weather resistant, but none of my lenses are.
09-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,926
i use the Pentax O-ICK1 cleaning kit (the sticky sheet of paper and the gelly stick),
it's deadly efficient against dust and oil

You press the gely stick against a sticky sheet of paper, then you press the sensor. You do it again and again.
There is around 50 sheets of paper, and i use one for a heavy cleaning. Cost me 50€.

Before i tried the LensePen and it wasn't as good.


BTW you can have dust everywhere, no matter what. So don't worry about it.
09-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter
les3547's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sebastopol, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,871
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
BTW you can have dust everywhere, no matter what. So don't worry about it.
Well, we've been talking about something other than dust.

Last edited by les3547; 09-18-2011 at 04:12 PM.
09-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,393
I almost never get sensor dust or stains......just never has been a problem. I am just guessing.....but the climate here is mostly dry, and I suspect that in wetter climates there is more humidity and of course more plants with nasty sticky pollen? I suspect the culprit in most cases is pollen?
Regards!
09-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter
patrick9's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Murfreesboro Tennessee
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,320
Have you tried to blow the dust out with a blower? My sensor looked a lot like yours a couple weeks ago. My rocket blower got here Thursday. I have a clean sensor now or at least nothing showing in any photo's even the white wall I used as the test to look for dust.
09-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Missouri
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 407
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Have you tried to blow the dust out with a blower? My sensor looked a lot like yours a couple weeks ago. My rocket blower got here Thursday. I have a clean sensor now or at least nothing showing in any photo's even the white wall I used as the test to look for dust.
My Kx is getting a good collection of particles now that it is 2 years old and I've been considering a blower but was wondering about it moving particles onto the mirror and focusing screen. Any issues with this ?

Eric
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kx sensor spots OK? 62mm Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 04-17-2010 04:25 AM
Another spots on sensor problem. photolady95 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 11 02-24-2010 04:56 PM
Spots on sensor sweet bay Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 35 02-18-2010 03:31 PM
spots on my K10D sensor- next step ? lesmore49 Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 01-16-2010 10:21 AM
Dust spots on sensor? Rottie*Lover Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 01-27-2008 01:45 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:37 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top