Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K5 Anyone had over exposure problem

In the past month my K5 seems to been constantly over exposing. I am using the exposure compensation at around one stop. I also seem to be over exposing with flash on manual, but on manual with no flash it is hard to tell the difference between the K5 and my K7.

The problem could have started when the wife accidentally sprayed sprite all over it, but we didn't find out for some hours when the on off and switch and the mode dial and button were frozen. Any ideas from anyone?

09-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #2

I've been having some of those issues too. Quite randomly, I would get very overexposed images. One photo perfectly fine, next photo (seconds later)..totally overexposed. My K5 is getting repaired at this moment due to freezing problems and some odd glitches. Hopefully whatever they do, will possibly fix the overexposure thing too. I suspect whatever was causing the freezing, was messing with other electronic components.
09-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There isn't enough info to make a helpful suggestion, but posting image examples would make it easier. You say you've got the K-5 set at 'one stop' of compensation - if that is +1, there's your culprit. If you mean -1, then consider your metering mode for the scene you're capturing. Flash also complicates matters, but if you hae a K-5 with flash overexposure (like mine has), then you might get more consistent results if you set your flash exposure compensation to -2.0 and retry the flashed shots.
09-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Ash

I am sure it is not any of the settings. My external flash meter when using flash and all manual settings gives settings that are spot on for the K7, same manual settings on the K5 are over exposed. It is as if the aperture is not fully closing on the k5. The image provides the f stop and speed I have put into the camera. Occurs on all lenses I have tested so far.

09-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
Forum Member

Me too randomly

Every once in a while my pictures are really overexposed even though the light meter said my exposure settings were correct. If in P mode I have to set exposure compensation to a large negative number. If in manual mode I have to "underexpose" severely by using a really fast shutter speed or stop down dramatically. Then the light meter shows a large negative number and says I'm underexposing but the picture comes out perfect. Often turning the camera off and on again clears up this misbehavior.
09-19-2011, 01:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sevenarrow Quote
Every once in a while my pictures are really overexposed even though the light meter said my exposure settings were correct. If in P mode I have to set exposure compensation to a large negative number. If in manual mode I have to "underexpose" severely by using a really fast shutter speed or stop down dramatically. Then the light meter shows a large negative number and says I'm underexposing but the picture comes out perfect. Often turning the camera off and on again clears up this misbehavior.
I've had this with both my K-7 and K-5.
It took me a long time to find the cause... it is my right thumb...

In my case, it is not the camera, it is me.
What happens is:

- I take my camera out of my bag,
- Accidently press the AEL button grabbing the camera,
- Switch the power switch in the same move, while lens cap is still on,
- Take lens cap off,
- Make picture.

Since I pressed the AEL before I take the lens cap off, the exposure is locked to pitch dark.
Hence that picture is over exposed...

Perhaps something similar is happening to you.

Bert
09-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #7

I too have noticed the intermittent overexposed images on my K-5. It seems to get much worse when I shoot at very wide apertures. For example, when I shoot at f/2.8 they are almost always overexposed. I haven't tried switching it on and off but I will check out the images at home tonight and look more closely at the exif data and see if my thumb is the culprit.
09-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's one in burst mode

I just remembered I also had a case of odd exposure last weekend, with the K-5 and the DA200/2.8. I shot a burst of shots and the brightness varied a lot. First thing I checked was the shutter, aperture and iso of the individual shots, they were all the same 1/500, f/8 and ISO 200, as shown in DCU v.4.33.

SOOC jpegs, "vibrant" image tone.

Here are six consecutive shots from the burst.

The burst was longer than shown here. The last handful of shots are similar to the last one shown here.

The only thing I can think of is a sluggish aperture mechanism. Either that or the exif is incorrect.

Regards,
--Anders.

09-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good idea Anders, i will give the camera a burst with a couple of different lenses. I am still thinking I have changes something in the camera menu system, but I have search high and wide.
09-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have cleaned the bayonet connections and terminals of cameras and lenses this morning with an old lens cloth. I was surprised how black the cloth became. Later this morning I will do a control between the K5 and K7 using the same lens, manual camera settings and manual flash plus flash meter. This will find out if the aperture is working correctly.
09-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
the wife accidentally sprayed sprite all over it... the on off and switch and the mode dial and button were frozen
Ouch. Sticky sugary soft drink all over your switches, lens contacts and maybe lens may not be the cause of your exposure issue but it certainly wouldn't help if some of those buttons (eg e-dials, AE-L) got sticky.
09-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I missed the Sprite part before, your cam is most likely done.
09-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd put a WR lens on the K-5 and have it running under a shower with a cloth to try and get some of the sugar out before giving up on it.
09-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Mmmm. I gave it several very brief goes under a tap with a wr lens at the time. Controls/knobs are now loose but maybe the sprite went deeper. Should I give it a bit longer or am I taking an extra risk?

Sounds like a visit to get repaired/cleaned.

Any further ideas and opinions welcome.
09-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Sounds like a visit to get repaired/cleaned.
Dismantled and cleaned comes to mind, there is almost nothing worse than a soft-drink with sugar to clean up.
Give it some more time under a gentle shower, you might luck out.
I had my K7 SOAKED by hurricane Irene, seals held tight.