Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by conradj Quote
--Also, when trying to figure out issues abt image sharpness, it helps a lot to turn down the in-cam sharpening all the way. Set it to fine sharpness or extra fine sharpness and turn it all the way down. Make sure sharpening is also turned completely down or off in any PP software that's used. i'm seeing a lot of sharpening in this shot; it's hard to tell what's really what.
Thanks for the suggestions - but this isn't about sharpness. It's about the plane of focus. Notice that the trampoline legs are actually in front of the plane of the wall, the furniture is behind the plane of the wall, and both are clearly in focus, in addition to being at the edge of the frame.

This is an intermittent problem that is not reproducible. I just wondered if anyone else had seen it. I suspect some problem with sensor alignment, but anyway the camera has gone back.

Thanks to everyone for their help

09-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
The bricks are moving, but only on the left...

Just kidding. I see what you're getting at, and agree. I've seen similar results that are difficult to explain. I love my k7 and k-x but I do throw away a lot more photo's than I did with my Canon A1, and Sony f828. I haven't mastered the focus system with Pentax yet.

Try a newspaper on the wall. I've only checked one lens before (not that I shouldn't check others), and sent it back due to it's inability to focus consistently. Bought one used (50-135) and it's perfect. I never checked it, but when the focus is right, it's right across the frame.

I guess it's possible for the sensor or AA filter to be out of alignment. Have you checked other lenses, recently? I always worry about putting a heavy lens on my k7, or especially my k-x as I don't want to bend the mount. I'm not sure if that's possible, and I don't want to find out.

Was your sensor replaced? If it was, maybe one of the set screws wasn't tightened all the way. That's just another guess and not a comment on Pentax QC.

Do you have a UV filter on the lens?

Again, I do see what you're saying, I just don't have a solid explanation.