Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #16

Yes -Class A- I am well aware it's an 'under artificial light' issue,
and done all the WB / LiveView tricks.

My other K-x was recently calibrated with a shop 'master test lens',
the AF is precise (natural & artificial light) using each one my AF lenses. (see list at bottom)

The K-r was also checked using a shop 'master test lens',
using the sames lense as above its fine under natural light but still front-focusses too much
under any artificial light, just beyond what the AF fine adjustment range can compensate.

Like a few here, I've always doubted that this could not be fixed by firmware updates and was a tolerance or design flaw with the K-r.
It just happens I do 95% or so of all my photography at night where the older K-x is a very good performer but my K-r unfortunatly isn't.
Fed-up, I just don't care to pursue anymore with this camera and move on. Luckily I still have my older K-x which absolutely love using.

To avoid any more frustrations I just want to forget this unfortunate K-r experience ASAP so might just give it away to a family member
with my never much used Tamron 18-200mm to use a nice 'daytime' auto Point-N-Shoot for now and eventualy show them
photography basics and how to use the manual mode during our get-togethers.

I'd upgrade to a K-5 but the well discussed issues: lens release button falling off, mirror flops, sensor stains aren't too reassuring to me now
and have soured me on Pentax QC in general. I know all camera brands have their little design problems but when it comes time to replace my K-x,
and depending what Pentax comes up with in it's next models, there is unfortunately very good chance I'll switch brands.

A friend w/Nikon has showed me just how good it's low-light (even NO-light) autofocus capabilities are
which would be a great plus for what I do. Plus, access to use certain lenses not made for Pentax;
the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 and Tamron 18-270mm, which really interest me.

In the meantime, the 2nd annual 'D-Clic Camera/Photography Show' is in Montreal this week-end...
I'll be sure to go visit the Pentax booth and discuss about my unfixable K-r
and general opinion of their Quality Control / design issues with them.

Last edited by mlatour; 09-29-2011 at 06:23 PM.
09-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlatour Quote
I'd upgrade to a K-5 but the well discussed issues: lens release button falling off, mirror flops, sensor stains aren't too reassuring to me now
If you have the money don't hesitate to get the real thing, the K-5. I had the K-x, it's a nice camera but in no way could it compares to the K-5 (or even the K-7 for that matter except the high ISO). My father-in-law just upgraded his K10D to the K-5. No issue found. Myself I had the stains issue but I was an early adopter. Other than that the camera works very well with great results.
09-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #18

For now my K-x might not be the fastest to lock focus but when it does, at least it's accurate AND reliable.

With current local prices around 1100$ CAD for a K-5, yes I would be ready to buy right now.
(same as what a D7000 is advertised for but it would of course require a few other items to switch over).

I could live with a few sensor stains as most of my pics are taken at f2.8 in dark scenery
but if the lens release button fell off within the first year well, lets say I've had enough of
sending my NEW cameras out for warranty repair...

Last edited by mlatour; 09-29-2011 at 07:34 PM.
09-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mlatour Quote
In the meantime, the 2nd annual 'D-Clic Camera/Photography Show' is in Montreal this week-end...
I'll be sure to go visit the Pentax booth and discuss about my unfixable K-r
and general opinion of their Quality Control / design issues with them.
Be sure to post here if they say anything interesting...