Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #1

Location: City of Elliot Lake (North Eastern) Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 and Pentax Canada repairs

Back a few weeks ago I posted a problem with my K5.
It would fire bursts randomly and erratically. Anywhere from 1 to 5 extra shots.
Nothing I could do would invoke a burst. It did it when it wanted to.
Consensuses from the forum was to send it in for repairs.
Did. With very detailed explanation of the problem. To Pentax Canada. Was without for 3 long weeks. Got it back with attached notes/comments/stated repair
In this order:
• camera very dirty
• dents on body
Remedy:
• updated firmware to 1.11
• cleaned camera
• Adjusted.
The "dents" weren't dents but chipped paint
The "Adjustment" was not explained. Who knows what the might have meant?
Checking the shutter actuations before and after the "repair" showed they had fired it 40 times.
Now after getting it back and only 12 shots taken the thing fired a burst of 4.
Phoned and was asked to send it in again with another detailed description of what I and it were doing when the burst happened. Send in the lens that I was using ( a DA 300 mm that had been repaired by them last year same time) and the SD card with the offending photos. As well as the battery.
Here I sit with one week already past without the thing.
Added note: The lens took 6 weeks to get back because Pentax Canada lost track of it in their facility.
At least they weren't looking for $95.00 to clean it as they had a couple of years ago when I had my K10D in for warranty repair.
Makes ya wonder wot?
Will update when I get it back.

09-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #2

Don't know if you came across these two posts, but you could be a victim of the same gremlin:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/144309-k-5-bug-shutter-g...ff-itself.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/150975-k-5-shutter-problem.html

You might refer your Canadian service center to C.R.I.S. in Arizona (should they communicate with the states). Just received my K-5 back about 3 weeks ago; the repair (mirror overrun) is holding so far. Other people have had circuit boards replaced and other attempts made that have not offered a permanent solution. It's too early to tell if my repair is a permanent fix or not. Good luck to you.
09-22-2011, 03:08 AM   #3

Location: City of Elliot Lake (North Eastern) Ontario, Canada
Original Poster
K5 and Pentax Canada repairs

QuoteOriginally posted by OutdoorLady Quote
Don't know if you came across these two posts, but you could be a victim of the same gremlin:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/144309-k-5-bug-shutter-g...ff-itself.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/150975-k-5-shutter-problem.html

You might refer your Canadian service center to C.R.I.S. in Arizona (should they communicate with the states). Just received my K-5 back about 3 weeks ago; the repair (mirror overrun) is holding so far. Other people have had circuit boards replaced and other attempts made that have not offered a permanent solution. It's too early to tell if my repair is a permanent fix or not. Good luck to you.
The 2 posts show slight similarities to my problem except that my K5 actually takes extra pictures with the burst. Left them ( 1 intended 3 extras) on the camera card when I returned it.
If local gang are stymied I'll point them towards C.R.I.S. provided their egos will accept the advice. Thanx
09-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
nah

Photos: Gallery
My frustrations with Pentax Canada are very similar to yours. They're just incompetent, I now know why they give 2 year warranties to Canadians, it's because the technicians need the extra time to fix your problems.

Even though I'm in Canada, next Pentax camera (if there is a next) I buy is from the US so I don't have to deal with these so called techs.

I have a shutter problem that I'm not sending in yet as it still works (annoying though). Anyone know if I can send a Canadian camera to the US to fix without charge?

09-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
Forum Member

Gah. I've got a K-r I'm about to send in. Not nice to read this.
09-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #6

My K5's in with them. Here's hoping they send the sucker to Japan.
09-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seeing well Quote
• camera very dirty • dents on body Remedy: • updated firmware to 1.11 • cleaned camera • Adjusted.
Hi
Adjusted means:
Don't know what's wrong but our "re-skilled" Sicilian Bricklayer has turned all screws first to the left and then back to the right, disconnected all electrical connections and re-connected them. :ugh:

Greetings
09-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by torpesco Quote
Gah. I've got a K-r I'm about to send in. Not nice to read this.
If it's to correct an 'artificial light front-focus issue' like mine,

FYI: My new K-r's been at Pentax Canada for the past 8 weeks...(1st week of Aug.)
soon, it will have been gone for longer than I've actually used it (mid-May to end of July).

First parts on back order from Japan, (I understand if delays because of earthquake/tsunami).
Informed a few weeks ago parts arrived and they're working on it...no news since. Getting fed up now!

Last edited by mlatour; 09-23-2011 at 12:37 AM.
09-23-2011, 12:05 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mlatour Quote
If it's to correct an 'artificial light front-focus issue' like mine...
Ack! That and e-dial. With e-dial, cranking it back and forth a bunch seems to be a good work-around. I just re-tested the focus issue and think I will just deal with it. Buy a split-prism screen - good for my one manual lens anyway, buy a flash for indoor family shots, and accept more noise and use f/4.5 to f/8. No attempts at narrow DOF in artificial light. Maybe even use live view sometimes.

The most bizarre thing about the test was I accidentally picked a WB of "shade" once and while the colour was awful, the focus was pretty good! Tungsten WB was no different than AWB.

Ultimate plan/desire? Save and upgrade to K-5 or its successor.
09-23-2011, 12:23 AM   #10

My 'ultimate plan/desire'

When/if my K-r gets repaired, I would gladly trade it locally for a new or good condition used K-x,
to have a reliable 2nd spare body (original plan was to buy K-r and keep older K-x as spare..)

Although my K-x did require warranty work for a crooked sensor and an AF adjustment
(after 1 year / 10 000 actuations), I've always found it to be a great camera. value vs. performance.

Last edited by mlatour; 09-23-2011 at 12:34 AM.
09-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Well, as a couterpoint, I recently sent them a lens to repair on 2 different occasions (DA21 under warranty earlier this summer, and FA35 at the end of august), and both times they were quick and the repairs well done. I never sent them a camera, however.
09-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #12

As mentionned, earlier this spring my K-x needed the sensor set back to level
(close to 3 degrees off) and an AF adjustment (back-focused) .

That took approx. 4 weeks including shipping time and the job was very well done.

I actually sent the body only without a lens, so they used a 'master' test lens to
adjust the AF and as-returned focus was spot-on with every AF lens I have.

As for the K-r well...still waiting!!

Last edited by mlatour; 09-23-2011 at 11:14 AM.
09-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #13

Update, K-r returned from Pentax Canada late afternoon,

description note:

-printed circuit repaired (AF assist beam was not working)
-AF tested with master lens OK, please read attached note

with a large print of page #128 of the manual, 'AF fine adjustment'

so they basically told me to "read the F%c&ing manual"...

Before I comment any further I will do some testing.
Update: tests; a bit better but still not satisfactory...

Last edited by mlatour; 09-23-2011 at 06:42 PM.
09-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Is the K-R really that bad? I was considering it for a 2nd/3rd body ... but sheesh, with everyone bashing it nowadays ... and the K5 ... it looks like the K1000 is going to get a workout

My 'ultimate plan/desire'

When/if my K-r gets repaired, I would gladly trade it locally for a new or good condition used K-x,
to have a reliable 2nd spare body (original plan was to buy K-r and keep older K-x as spare..)

Although my K-x did require warranty work for a crooked sensor and an AF adjustment
(after 1 year / 10 000 actuations), I've always found it to be a great camera. value vs. performance.

Last edited by photocanadian; 09-27-2011 at 07:08 PM.
09-29-2011, 04:00 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Update: tests; a bit better but still not satisfactory...
How are you testing? Are you using artificial light? Are you happy with AF under daylight and have an issue with AF under artificial light?

The K-r is known to FF under artificial light, i.e., it cannot be fixed; it is a design problem (this is assuming you are not seeing something beyond the error common to all K-r). To the best of my knowledge the best you can do is to manually set the white balance to artificial light. This will help the camera to correct for the AF error introduced by Tungsten light.

Sorry if this of no help to you.

In any event, you may find these AF adjustment hints useful.