Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upgrade to the K-5? Or new lenses?

I jumped head first into photography about a year ago when I purchased my K-x, along with the 18-55 & 55-300 kit lenses. I can't even explain how much I've learned in the past year from both experience, other photographers, and reading as much as I can. Since then I've purchased 2 manual lenses (M50 2.0 & A28 2.4?), a Tamron 28-75, and a Metz 50-af1 flash, along with several other accessories.

I've done several wedding as a 2nd shooter, portrait sessions, and many family photo sessions. With a growing portfolio, I'm now starting to regularly book sessions, which is leading me to consider purchasing a K-5 w/ a grip.

So my question is...should I buy the K-5 and wait to purchase some new lenses or buy some lenses and wait on the K-5? Also, if I get the K-5 should I go ahead and get the 18-55WR lens with it?

I'm really hoping to step up with image quality, AF speed, and have a more "professional" setup.

ps. I have my eye on the DA50-135, a Tamron 17-50 zoom, and some DA prime lenses.

09-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I never owned a Kx, so it is hard for me to say what all you would gain....and, what you shoot the most?
If you are going to shoot portraits and similar shots, maybe the gain would not be so great? I honestly see little if any difference in shooting portraits with the K5 over the K20D...not enough to make me upgrade to the K5 for sure. But.....for high ISO shooting, and when more AF speed is needed the K5 shines brightly! If it makes any difference, you can honestly tell your clients the K5 is a Pro grade camera......the results of whatever you use and your skills should be the thing speaking, but you know how it is in the real world!
Regards!
09-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I think that a K-5 with DA*50-135mm would be a great combo. So just take a jump and buy them both.
09-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
I've been shooting a little bit of everything lately. From retail products, portraits, weddings, and I have a contract with a local artist who has me shooting some architecture for him to make prints.

I've seen a little noisiness around iso800 that seem to aggravate me a little, and not being able to adjust the AF to fix the FF on my Tamron seems to bug me a bit, with my Kx.

Should I buy the kit lens, or should I save the $150 for other things?

09-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
Also, If I purchased the K-5, I would keep the K-x for my wife to learn to shoot. Kind of another selling point to her of why I want/need to upgrade.
09-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

I have had my K-7 for 2 years and I seriously considered to upgrade earlier this year. Instead I bought some high-quality glass like FA31mm f1.8, FA*300mm f4.5 and a couple more. I have no regret and would do it again, because "good glass is worth every penny" and "good glass is an investment". (I may add that the strong Aussie dollar helped me to access lenses that would have been above my limits a few years ago...)

So, I would go for the lenses especially since the K-x is still an excellent camera body.

Hope that the comments will assist...
09-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you need faster AF, WR camera, and better high ISO (some may argue this), then get the K-5. If you need better glass then get some lenses.

The price of the K-5 is bound to come down even a bit more (though I suspect that it's not going to come much lower) since a newer model will be released most likely within the next 4-5 months. It's kind of a trade off, because you could buy faster lenses, but with K-5 you get better ISO which gives you faster shutter speeds.