Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K5 vs Full Frame

I read an article in DSLR magazine few month ago about APS vs Full Frame. All known brands vs D3x & 1DM4. Pentax K5 is the winner & beat D3x in few areas. I am waiting upgrade version of K5 with swivel LCD screen & improved video capabilities. Hope to see one on 2012.

09-22-2011, 02:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 or any flagship Pentax for that matter wont get a swivel LCD. Thats a entry-level feature for the entry level consumers moving up from their point and shoot swivel screen cameras.

That article you speak of does sound like a good read however
09-22-2011, 02:46 AM   #3
gtl
Veteran Member

I think a swivel LCD would be a really nice feature to have for macro shooting or shooting over a crowd. Why not implement it in the K5? The A77 has one
09-22-2011, 03:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think they wouldn't implement it because the K-5 is built for durability (regardless of what you may hear from people) and as such, it doesn't make sense to put a very vulnerable component on it. Having an in-built flash is bad enough, and really not necessary, but just because Sony made a weird choice and stuck a swivel LCD on the A77 doesn't mean Pentax should as well.

I had a G11, and it's a handy feature, but it sure didn't feel particularly assuring in terms of longevity.

09-22-2011, 03:33 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
K-5 or any flagship Pentax for that matter wont get a swivel LCD. Thats a entry-level feature for the entry level consumers moving up from their point and shoot swivel screen cameras.
Like video capability and many other features, it's just a matter of time before this swivel or detachable LCD is added - and the sooner the better. I'm getting too long in the tooth to be crouched on the ground for low level shots
09-22-2011, 03:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I am thinking you might get your swivel screen on the APC mirrorless camera.
09-22-2011, 03:52 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K5 definitely is a winner. You will have argument about whether or not it measures up to full frame. Certainly, current full frame options out there are getting pretty long in the tooth and the K5 sensor measures up pretty well against them. On the other hand, there are new ones coming out the end of this year that will certainly pass it up again.

The concerning thing to me about the K5 sequel is that I would imagine Pentax will drop the current 16 megapixel sensor in favor of the A77 sensor. Looking at images with both, I would prefer to stick with 16 megapixels and work with other improvements, but I doubt that will happen. More likely the K5 sensor will end up in the kr sequel (which may get your swivel screen).

I don't know about swivel screens. It's a little bit like live view. I would probably seldom use it for still photography, because I am not able to hold my camera steady enough when it is out from my body. I just do so much better when I have good posture and eye to the viewfinder. The only time I use it is for tripod shots (and of course video).

09-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The K5 definitely is a winner. You will have argument about whether or not it measures up to full frame. Certainly, current full frame options out there are getting pretty long in the tooth and the K5 sensor measures up pretty well against them. On the other hand, there are new ones coming out the end of this year that will certainly pass it up again.

The concerning thing to me about the K5 sequel is that I would imagine Pentax will drop the current 16 megapixel sensor in favor of the A77 sensor. Looking at images with both, I would prefer to stick with 16 megapixels and work with other improvements, but I doubt that will happen. More likely the K5 sensor will end up in the kr sequel (which may get your swivel screen).

I don't know about swivel screens. It's a little bit like live view. I would probably seldom use it for still photography, because I am not able to hold my camera steady enough when it is out from my body. I just do so much better when I have good posture and eye to the viewfinder. The only time I use it is for tripod shots (and of course video).
I agree. I'd be happy with 10MP and keep improving dynamic range and High ISO performance!!
09-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
I think they wouldn't implement it because the K-5 is built for durability (regardless of what you may hear from people) and as such, it doesn't make sense to put a very vulnerable component on it. Having an in-built flash is bad enough, and really not necessary, but just because Sony made a weird choice and stuck a swivel LCD on the A77 doesn't mean Pentax should as well.

I had a G11, and it's a handy feature, but it sure didn't feel particularly assuring in terms of longevity.
Not necessary? Well I admit that I use flash a lot less now the ISO performance is excellent, but I still use the flash. I wouldn't buy a camera without one.

I'd also love a swivel LCD. I hope the K-5's succesor has one.
09-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

swivel screen is not a feature i'd want to see nor would i use very much. however, i understand the market pressure to remain competitive, so hopefully pentax(Ricoh) will do plenty of homework before rolling out the next generation.
09-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #11
Forum Member

The idea of a swivel screen doesn't much interest me, either. Likewise video. I wonder if DSLRs will ever be marketed like automobiles -- with standard equipment, and add-ons (like a swivel screen and video) for those who want them.
09-22-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My friend in Dallas that bought the K5 for his vacation in Europe because of its size, but shoots Nikon, with two D700s and a D3x has said he could operate his business easily with the K5 and some excellent glass, and I think he was very serious in his evaluation. Of course, he is heavily invested in Nikon, and he did mention the superior Nikon flash system.......

For me the MP are great for cropping, but 16mp is certainly enough....even down to 10mp would suit me if it meant more DR and less noise. I don't need video or a tilt screen....but I guess they are here to stay? That is what I like about the D700, it is a camera made for photographers, not for those upgrading from point and shoot cameras.
I'm pretty happy with the K5, it has more than I need, not less.
Regards!
09-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
would love to read that.

I reckon the swivel screen would suit the next K-r successor, it would really suit that area, but not the K-5, they should just release a LCD screen that you can attach to the AV/HDMI ports and small enough to (unless they have those kinda of things, i wouldnt know haha)
09-23-2011, 02:51 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
If you are serious in wedding videography, DSLR is the choice. Minimal startup investment but great HD video with low lite performance. And various lenses. In Malaysia, Canon is filling this segment fast with 60D & 600D. Well, I am a Pentaxian & I want one from Pentax for my video business. I am thinking of Panasonic Lumix GH2 or GH3. Swivel screen is very useful for video shooting but not for photography ( 95%). Mp race is not important. 16Mp is more than enough.
09-23-2011, 03:38 AM   #15

I moved from a Canon 5Dii (21meg-full frame) and L series and Zeiss lenses back to Pentax. I can see almost no differences in my photos. The K5 is a great camera as it is, I have a hard time figuring out how to make it's replacement much better.

Wayne