Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 to London

Hello!

I'm headed to London next month and I'm planning on giving my K5 a serious work out. It's pretty easy to find blogs and stories about the stuff everyone takes pictures of (which I plan on doing as well), but I'm having a tougher time finding unusual subjects and locations to shoot. If anyone has any personal suggestions or would like to refer me elsewhere, it would be greatly appreciated.

I enjoy everything from the typical to the macabre, so feel free to suggest anything at all.

Best,
Chuck P.

09-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds to me as though Highgate and Kensal Green Cemeteries could be to your taste.
09-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Banned

filling up a pint in a bar You can practice that several times a day.
09-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Quite a few streets in central London are still lit by gas light-pop it into Google and see what come up. Could give some interesting white balance challenges!

09-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
filling up a pint in a bar...
... and then pour it down your throat. Hand your cam to a by-stander to take a record of this.

Greetings
09-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some time back I saw an article in a mag. where a photag had taken a picture representing each location on the Monopoly board. Ok so it has been done, but it might give you an idea about a series of some sort. (Perhaps different brands of beer being poured?)
09-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #7

I was in London in June and took some fun pictures with my K7 of pub signs at night. The quaint names, logos, lighting, shadows, and darkness make for some dramatic, colorful shots.

09-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #8

Original Poster
I love how 5 of the 7 comments are brew related! Exploring pubs is definitely on my list.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I look forward to expanding my research. Having lived in the culturally disposable city of Los Angeles most of my life, the really old London is piquing my interest. I can't imagine seeing a structure built in the 1600s that's still functional and in a bustling neighborhood. I've seen pyramids in Mexico, but London is all new territory.
09-23-2011, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #9
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chuckp8 Quote
I love how 5 of the 7 comments are brew related! Exploring pubs is definitely on my list.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I look forward to expanding my research. Having lived in the culturally disposable city of Los Angeles most of my life, the really old London is piquing my interest. I can't imagine seeing a structure built in the 1600s that's still functional and in a bustling neighborhood. I've seen pyramids in Mexico, but London is all new territory.
Tower of London is a bit older than that!

The Smithfield (Farringdon) area is a great visit the meat market is a wonderful Victorian structure, with a parts yet to be renovated it provides a mix of decay and glamour. Oh and back to the beer, this was once the one area that supported 24hr alcohol licences prior to the relaxation of our laws.

With the Church of St. Bartholomew the Great (Four Weddings..) . The oldest surviving parish church in London, built in 1123 by Henry I's court jester, Rahere. You've got a reasonable span of time covered.
09-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Have a look at my brother's blog for some ideas, the 'Dark Waters' slideshows are of the Thames through London. OT, but he still uses the Pentax lenses he bought as a young teenager in the early '80s often, including recently for a coffee-table book he's compiling. Lummoxx

Last edited by wildweasel; 09-23-2011 at 02:25 PM.
09-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hyde Park is great for people shots!

Some of those I snapped while last there

I even caught Otis taking his summer holidays!!!

09-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Hyde Park is great for people shots!

Some of those I snapped while last there
Nice set of shots. My wife is headed to London next month on business - hope she gets some nice shots, too (wish I was going )