Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rkboid Quote
CONCLUSION.......

Well the Nikon and associated lenses and flash went up on ebay.

Autofocus - AF-C worked plenty good, and in fact worked inside in pretty dim light (light was dim enough that my settings were around ~ f4 ~1/90 and 3200 iso), but of course most suffered from motion blur at this speed. The Nikon IS faster and better, but not by any wide margin. I really do not think it would affect most people. You what will affect most people? The small buffer on the D7000. The buffer fills and you are stuck there pressing the shutter release until it can snap another pic. Indoor low light single focus slight edge to D7000, but has yet to be a problem with 3 nights of shooting a 2 and 4 yo in dim conditions. MY EARLIER POST ABOUT BAD INDOOR SHOTS WERE DUE TO A SIGMA LENS PROBLEM>

High ISO - Same sensor, but I give the edge to the K5. Never in the 8 months of having the d7000 have I ever been wow look at what I pulled out of this. Why I do not know, but the K5 just look and handle better.

Handling - Green button!!!! why have others not implemented it? Am I the only one that loves it the way I do? The K5 is a little small for me but I will get used to it again.

Flash - People always rave about CLS. And I do not understand why. I do use alot of flash and multiple flashes, but maybe I never truly understood CLS. To me it was multiple wireless flashes that could be independently controlled and triggered by the on board flash. You still blew bounced pictures, or sometimes underexposed. You still had to adjust the flash output most of the time. I really do not see a difference in it and Pentax's system except the name. When I had the 7d it was the same as well. The flash sync speed does not effect me, as when I want bright daylight fill flash I am most likely lens to nose with a snake and HSS works great.

Finally I just have always liked Pentax. I bought my k10d the night I found out my wife was pregnant with my first child. Now time for lens shopping!! Anybody know where to get a sigma 100-300 f4?
Welcome back! It was quite interesting to see your comparison notes. We Pentaxians often suffer from Rodney Dangerfield syndrome, so it is good to read that we have equipment that is better in some ways and close in others.

The blown P-TTl bounce flash is one of the last remaining irritants in the K5 (at least for me). P-TTL has always been a bit of a mystery, but the K10/K20 both worked very well for me in bounce with my Demb modifier. The K5 has a tendency to blow up when the subject is white or bright (in my experience). If I could just consistently dial in EV comp, I would not care, but it is not a 100% consistent problem.

Daylight fill is also mysterious, but the DR of the K5 gives you a lot of room to pull shadows and do digital fill, so it's not that big of a deal.

I know it's an odd focal length, but get your hands on a 43 ltd if you want a little gem that doesn't get as much press as the physically much larger 31ltd. I think the 43 is better than my 31.

Also, do a search here for "The 15mm limited controls my mind" to see how good the DA 15 is. I have to remind myself to get out with my 15 more often.

Ray

09-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
I will be coming back to Pentax as well. Had the K10D, then the K20D, then moved over to a m4/3rds kit with various Olys (E-P2, E-LP1 & 2) and now the E-P3. But have missed how the Pentax cameras feel in my hands, and the photos I got from them. So I'm planning to try and trade my E-P3 kit for a K5 kit..... We'll see how that goes......
P.S. you can still see my K20D in my signature, couldn't bear to see it disappear....
John
10-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
Well, the trade is complete and the K5 is on it's way. The E-P3 is a fine camera, quick auto focus, nice jpeg files, all in all a fine camera. But it never fit my hand quite right, and although small it was still big enough that it would'nt fit in a pocket, and take a second lens, extra batteries ect you still needed to carry a bag around. The K5 is a bit bigger, but not that much. It fits my hand perfectly, has more versatility, and better low light performance. So for someone who can only afford one camera at a time the K5 is a better package for me. So, I'm happy to be back in the fold, and look forward to shooting with my new (used, new to me) camera.....
John
10-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rkboid Quote
CONCLUSION.......
Flash - People always rave about CLS. And I do not understand why. I do use alot of flash and multiple flashes, but maybe I never truly understood CLS. To me it was multiple wireless flashes that could be independently controlled and triggered by the on board flash. You still blew bounced pictures, or sometimes underexposed. You still had to adjust the flash output most of the time. I really do not see a difference in it and Pentax's system except the name. When I had the 7d it was the same as well. The flash sync speed does not effect me, as when I want bright daylight fill flash I am most likely lens to nose with a snake and HSS works great.
I've been hearing about this Nikon cls system for some time, but am glad you confirmed some suspicions of mine. One of my suspicions came from seeing a top Nikon shooter demonstrate his flash technique in a youtube video. He was using quality radio triggers, but i noticed he wasn't using cls control of his flashes during the demo, but dashing down to the flashes and resetting them manually. When i saw that, it was apparent that CLS wasn't a cureall.

Two other reasons I believe are cons for cls type flash programs:

a. the compatible flashes themselves are expensive. A friend of mine shoots with cls for studio portraits and weddings. she laid her cls flash on a car seat recently, stopped suddenly, the flash slid off the seat and broke causing a $450 replacement cost, or are they higher now? (in comparison, i use cheap Yongnuo manual flashes with the same power costing about $65 from Amazon.

b. Although one can change power levels from the camera position, one cannot physical change the orientation or location of the flash. So cls could reduce some labor in shooting, but not all.

I do hope that Ricoh updates the shutter speed from 1/180th. Frankly, i have not seen the over-exposed K5 flash problem that others have reported with bounced flash. Reflective surfaces cause underexposure problems but i read that is common to other mfr as well.

thanks again for your observation.s