Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #31
Pentaxian

I bought a pair of "Wasabi Power" branded batteries, plus charger, from Amazon a few months ago. I liked the name.

So far they are fine, indistinguishable from the original battery.

09-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
May be......I don't really care what people use, if it works it works. Sylvia Squirrel.......she demands those little Pink Bunnies in her massage devices, says it makes the girlies feel more feminine and sort of "tingly".......I didn't ask her to elaborate, but I do know she would want a genuine Pentax if they made one for her personal device, which is currently a diesel powered industrial model.
Regards!
09-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by doingthebobs Quote
I think, Greve, that you will find that it doesn't matter what brand of battery you use, when it has lost its charge the camera will stop working! All Lithium batteries will show the same characteristics in operation. If you had depleted the charge on a 'Pentax' battery, it would have acted the same!
Yes my cameras stop working when the battery goes flat with either batteries with a Pentax sticker on or batteries without a Pentax sticker on

QuoteQuote:
Interesting that those with AA battery using cameras don't have this discussion.

They just use a set of AA's of their choice. Is this because there are never any bad AA batteries made? No, It is just that they are familiar with the size and shape. It is often seen as an advantage that you can use any AA battery in these cameras. Sure there are AA batteries of different types (alkaline, nicad etc) but no one suggests you will damage your AA using camera for using the wrong brand!

Very good point indeed. I salute you sir!!!
09-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Pentax battery at Henry's $99.99 Can.
One battery.

Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit - $24.99 Can.
Two batteries.
One Mini Rapid Charger.
One Car Charger.
One European Plug adapter.
Three year mfg's warranty.

I got 634 pictures from the battery. I find that the first usage of a new battery gives fewer shots than subsequent re-uses.
At half that number of pictures I would still be happy with my Wasabi.

Mickey

09-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
This is what manufacturers hope and strive for when the stick their label on a generic battery. It is the old warranty scare. It is the only way to hoodwink people. Correct me if I am wrong but I understand USA consumer laws prohibit this sort of thing. (Epson is still trying very hard to convince people to use only their overpriced inks) Its the old story isn't it.

I think it was Orson Welles who said: "What's in a name... everything"

Greetings
So if a company doesn't make it themselves, then it's automatically a generic product.
All those Sony, Nikkor, Canon lenses....all generic because they buy their glass from an outside source rather than mining the sand that it's made from and refining it themselves?
I always wondered why I liked Pentax glass better, and now I know. Every one elses lenses are third party.
Get real, companies give a manufacturer a set of specifications to meet, and the product is manufactured (hopefully) to those specifications.
That same company might make a generic equivalent, but there is no guarantee that they are following the same specification. The only guarantee you have that some spec is met is to buy the product that has the first party name on it.
Now, this may not matter to some people, and it might matter to others.
To me, it matters, and since I am affluent enough to be able to support this particular predilection, I really don't see why someone would see fit to take issue with it.
After all, I'm not knocking anyone for buying cheap knock offs because they don't see the same value in a brand name that I do.
09-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
So if a company doesn't make it themselves, then it's automatically a generic product.
All those Sony, Nikkor, Canon lenses....all generic because they buy their glass from an outside source rather than mining the sand that it's made from and refining it themselves?
I always wondered why I liked Pentax glass better, and now I know. Every one elses lenses are third party.
Get real, companies give a manufacturer a set of specifications to meet, and the product is manufactured (hopefully) to those specifications.
That same company might make a generic equivalent, but there is no guarantee that they are following the same specification. The only guarantee you have that some spec is met is to buy the product that has the first party name on it.
Now, this may not matter to some people, and it might matter to others.
To me, it matters, and since I am affluent enough to be able to support this particular predilection, I really don't see why someone would see fit to take issue with it.
After all, I'm not knocking anyone for buying cheap knock offs because they don't see the same value in a brand name that I do.
I agree, if you want to throw your money down the toilet, that's your prerogative.
09-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
Pentax battery at Henry's $99.99 Can.
That is insane. No wonder you all purchase 3rd. party.
09-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

Only last week here in OZ a TV station in one of their current affairs program ran a comparison test across a whole range of batteries, from cheap no-name supermarket house brands to well known brand names. Guess what, the supermarket house name branded batteries consistently outperformed the big names.

So now I am asking all brand name enthusiasts and warranty scare mongers in this forum: If I load up my K-5 battery grip with any of those supermarket AA cells (because I now know of their good performance) will I compromise or void my camera warranty ? You know it is very hard (actually it is impossible) to find PENTAX branded AA batteries

So Wheatfield, of course it is your prerogative to waste your money, nobody wants to or can stop you. If it makes you feel safer, that's fine. And if PENTAX should ever read your posts I am sure they will be very thankful. Perhaps they may even send you a Christmas card. (And by the way, your lens comparison is very weak)

Greetings

09-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #39
Site Supporter

I load up my D-BG4 with Eneloops, with full confidence of them performing to their best,.
Tried some normal AA cells, good for 20 shots.
09-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The only guarantee you have that some spec is met is to buy the product that has the first party name on it.
yeah all those early adopters that bought a K-5 with the Pentax name on thought it would guarantee there were no stains on their sensor.

Ho hum