Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter

K-5 spare batteries

Just wondering if any of the aftermarket batteries are any good or should I just buy the Pentax battery pack? Adorama sells an aftermarket for the K-5 for about 1/2 the price.

09-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They don't have as much capacity as far as I remember.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sanox Quote
Just wondering if any of the aftermarket batteries are any good or should I just buy the Pentax battery pack? Adorama sells an aftermarket for the K-5 for about 1/2 the price.
I have four 3rd party batteries and two pentax batteries. the 3rd party batteries were 1/6th of the price of the pentax batteries and have just as much capacity. I acutally bought two fo then and a charger before my first K-5 arrived so I didn't have to wait to charge up the battery to use it,.

Pentax batteries are a rip off. Pentax don't even make batteries, they just source them elsewhere and probably from the same factory that the much cheaper ones come from.

I'd never buy a Spare Pentax battery. There's no point.
09-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter

That might be so. I prefer, maybe out of ignorance, the OEM batteries, lenses, flashes. sync. cords, grips etc.
And that is just me without any squirrels involved.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 09-23-2011 at 06:05 PM.
09-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i have some of both and cannot tell any difference in performance. IMO, it is a risk worth taking.
09-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #6

I shot an entire wedding on ONE battery last Saturday. I was AMAZED by this performance.
09-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I buy OEM batteries only. I figure that if the camera has a probem that can be blamed on batteries, having only the manufacturer's battery gives me a better chance of getting warranty.
09-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I buy OEM batteries only. I figure that if the camera has a probem that can be blamed on batteries, having only the manufacturer's battery gives me a better chance of getting warranty.
Me too....batteries can be serious problems, not often, but it is possible.

Come on Wheatfield! You know you are never going to need warranty service! Just kidding, just kidding! Don't get all riled up and shoot a Squirrel or something!
Best Regards!

09-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter

A good point. re Wheatfield.
09-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Oh come on peeps!! There are millions of batteries sold very day. I've never heard of anyone suffering damage to a Pentax camera from a defective 3rd party battery.

Complete and utter paranoia. You've more chance of dying in a car or air accident. Are you going to stop flying or driving?

Risk? There's risk in everything you do. There's no less risk in using a Pentax battery than a 3rd party one. Especially given they probably come from the same factory.

Someone had a laptop battery catch fire and all of a sudden we must use batteries that have a certain sticker on the front.

Otis thinks you're paranoid!!!!
09-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
IOW you're admitting to buying 3rd party batteries, but with a pentax sticker on.

09-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

There are good and bad aftermarket batteries. The good ones are every bit as good as OEM, and many times they are better. The ridiculously low-priced ones are the bad ones. Camera batteries are not typically a source of problems the way laptop batteries are. I have never bought an OEM spare and I've never had a battery-related problem. It's a waste of money to spend three times the amount on an OEM.
09-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax does not make batteries - they are all third-party like everyone else.

I got a spare Lenmar from Adorama and it is indistinguishable in performance from the original.
09-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #14

I bought a 3rd party battery for my K10D and could not tell any difference until after around 3 years of use. Then it appeared to not get quite as many shots per charge as the original, but I didn't see enough difference to properly test and document just how much lose I might have.
09-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #15
Inactive Account

If you want batteries that say Pentax on them, for the k5, Here you go. I bought 2. So far, so good.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices