09-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
love handles, i love it, germar!

10-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why Pentax

I bought my K5 partially because of its ability to be tiny (w something like the 21mm or the 40mm pancake attached) or big, with the 50-135 + grip... That's a lot of flexibility in one camera system. But at the same time, I've been using my K5 with the grip and Mestos L-plate since August and only just now I took the Grip off. Wow. This thing is small. Crazy small!! On my kata strap, you don't even feel the weight. But the grip adds some stability for me... I find it much easier to take hand held macros with it on and I find that at full zoom on the 55-300 I can get more keepers with the extra weight. Plus, I literally haven't charged a battery for weeks. Weeks. And I use the camera pretty frequently.
10-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Note.. the Grip is also made of awsome, and as noted in another post, awsome has a high density.. so remember the grip does add more weight!
10-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
1. Because the camera is too small without it and it makes verticals easier and it extends your battery life
2. Aftermarket ones aren't weather-sealed and apparently wear out faster (see here)
3. Post a separate thread / see here

Hi Adam:
I got my K5 and my Pentax Grip. The camera comes with 1.01 Firmware. You posted several days ago a link to a page to download I believe 1.05 Firmware. I saw it, but did not download it because I did not have the camera. Now that I have it, I would like to upgrade it. The concern I now have is, that while searching for that link, I found several posts by forum members complaining about upgrades to the firmware. One thing that I really love of this K5 (which apparently came perfect with no flaws) is the AF-C, which allows me to track birds in flight and other moving objects. I read that some people have gone back to 1.01 after upgrading. Can you advise, what happen with your post/link and if you have an update on firmware, I appreciate it.
Pepe

10-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I found this page at Pentax that shows all the firmware upgrades: Is it safe?

Latest K-5 Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
10-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #21

I down loaded it from their site, all is well.
10-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I have large hands and the BG feels great. I just returned from a trip to Negril, where I had the K-5 alternating between a Tamron 17 3.5 and a Pentax 85(M) 1.8 one-handed, photographing the Kids playing with Starfish in the warm Caribbean Sea while almost chest deep...and no strap.

Last edited by tabl10s; 10-27-2013 at 08:08 AM.
10-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
I bought my K5 partially because of its ability to be tiny (w something like the 21mm or the 40mm pancake attached) or big, with the 50-135 + grip... That's a lot of flexibility in one camera system. But at the same time, I've been using my K5 with the grip and Mestos L-plate since August and only just now I took the Grip off. Wow. This thing is small. Crazy small!! On my kata strap, you don't even feel the weight. But the grip adds some stability for me... I find it much easier to take hand held macros with it on and I find that at full zoom on the 55-300 I can get more keepers with the extra weight. Plus, I literally haven't charged a battery for weeks. Weeks. And I use the camera pretty frequently.
Would you please explain what a Mestos L-plate does and should one be used with a Grip and a K-10 and a K-5?.
Is there anything else that in recommended?
Thanks
10-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's an L-shaped bracket so you can mount the camera on a tripod in portrait mode and still have full motion range of the tripod head.
Search it on Google, you'll see right away.
04-20-2016, 07:59 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Rather than start a new thread I'll ask in this zombie one.

I've not used a battery grip before but recently picked one up second hand, authentic Pentax BG4, for my spare K5. As I understood it the default camera setting is to use the main battery until depleted and it will then swap over to the grip batteries once you turn it off then back on. Mine is not doing that. The grip controls all work correctly so I know the connection is good and the Eneloops are freshly charged so I know those are good too, but the camera is not "seeing" them or using them. So what's the obvious thing I'm missing as I'm sure it will be a forehead slapper once someone points it out.
04-20-2016, 12:48 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Rather than start a new thread I'll ask in this zombie one.

I've not used a battery grip before but recently picked one up second hand, authentic Pentax BG4, for my spare K5. As I understood it the default camera setting is to use the main battery until depleted and it will then swap over to the grip batteries once you turn it off then back on. Mine is not doing that. The grip controls all work correctly so I know the connection is good and the Eneloops are freshly charged so I know those are good too, but the camera is not "seeing" them or using them. So what's the obvious thing I'm missing as I'm sure it will be a forehead slapper once someone points it out.
battery isnt in backwards is it? the metal contacts go in first facing up. I only say this because it is quite possible for it to go in backwards and the grip controls would still work fine via the other battery. Also, check the connection pins in case one or more are stuck or bent or dirty.

good luck

Last edited by mikeSF; 04-20-2016 at 11:50 PM.
04-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #27
Forum Member

Try going into the Select Battery menu and choose "Grip First" to see if the camera can make use of the Eneloops in the grip AA holder (even take out the body battery). Also, double check that none of the individual cells are in backwards. That would drop the voltage enough to prevent the camera from using the grip. Be sure that the proper type of AA cells (NiMH in this case) are selected in the Battery Type menu so the camera can calculate the charge level properly. Best of luck with finding the problem!
04-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
battery isnt in backwards is it? the metal contacts go in first facing up. I only say this because it is quite possible for it to go in backwards and the grip controls would still work fine via the other battery. Also, check the connection pins in case one or more are stuck or bent or dirty.

good luck

And voila, we have power! Thanks guys.
04-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I cleaned the pins as you suggested. . .

And voila, we have power! Thanks guys.
Houston, we have lift off