Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Harpoh.....What are those little animals? Adorable!

Step One.....There is plenty of K5 praise around here, in particular in the K5 Photo thread, but many are not loud mouth braggards like me, and just go about their way enjoying the K5 with little comment. Others do not want to offend those that for whatever reason, are unable to purchase a K5 at this time.......something I deeply regret, and wish I could buy everyone that desires one a brand new one today. So often you hear me on these threads, because I believe in what I say and either have the balls to say it, or lack the common sense not to...depending on your point of view.BTW- You did a pretty good job of selling the assets of the K5...Thanks!

Phil......Sorry for your problem, I take no delight in any shooters problem...with any brand, I don't think any of us do really. I think your magic words were "I still like this camera a lot!!!! How common is that among those with problems? Pretty much universal, isn't it? No need to delete anything, I feel great, nothing here would make me feel otherwise.

Best Regards!

09-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
Again the squirrel king feel is his duty to defend Pentaxland. I can't understand why do you care? Somebody posted he found a problem that was not suppose to happen (i think Pentax stated that was an early models problem before some date). Ok, Pentax did what a fair company should do, and they are changing his camera. Good for you and others who do not have problems, i don't think anyone stated all K-5's have problems. Do you get a "loyal fan-boy" ribbon if you comment on everyone who talk about a problem?
I got tired of this forum long time ago because of all the complaining. Why not get the camera repaired and then leave it there? Why must every fault everyone experience with their camera has to be discussed to the uttermost boredom?

I think Rupert is right on the target with his post. I don't know why he care, but I am glad he does.
09-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Pentax has publicly indicated that they will replace ALL sensors that show this problem.
Instead of griping about it, just send it in for a replacement. I really don't see the point of making a big deal about it and extrapolating that Pentax has a serious problem on their hands, which isn't the case.
This is like deja vu all over again though.
It's like we've gone back in time and a QC issue that was supposed to be resolved last December is right back with us.
Add up all the various problems that the K5 has presented so far, from the AF not working right, to the sensor stains, and onwards to dials not working, buttons falling off, mirror over runs and everything in between, and keep thinking that there isn't a serious QC problem ongoing with this camera.
The romantic side of me wants to believe you, the realist side of me knows otherwise.

I have never, ever heard of a camera from any brand before this coming up with as many different ways to fail.
And the fanbois keep singing the same tune.

Maybe some of you should be teaching your squirrels to whistle, and then you can have a nice little sing along.

09-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I have never, ever heard of a camera from any brand before this coming up with as many different ways to fail.
True dat.

09-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Wheatfield...all those problems, and no one denies there have been problems, yet it is still a great camera, and even those with problems want to come back for more. It's enough to drive you crazy isn't it!
I see new K5 shooters here quite often, despite your efforts.......must be depressing, and even more so if you heard Otis whistling, he can you know, and his favorite tune..."Be Happy"! Not bad advice from a Squirrel that is seldom wrong.....or according to Otis, never wrong.

As always, to those with problems, our regrets, from all of us here I am certain, maybe even Wheatfield? Get them repaired and enjoy like most of us are doing. There is hardly any way possible to deny this is a fantastic camera, let's all enjoy it together. A new model will be out soon enough, and hopefully without the problems encountered by some......but for now, we should enjoy what we have, and we have a damn fine camera to enjoy!
Regards! Be Happy
09-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Ouch, sorry to hear you got this problem after it should be been completely solved.

I've hammered my K-5 in the 2 months I've had it, 7k shutter activations and it's still 100% perfect; no freezes, stains or flops. My now backup K-x hasn't been touched since I got the K-5. Not sure if I'm just lucky or not, but I do think there are more copies of K-5s having problems than typcial for a DSLR.

Like has been said the fix is easy, Pentax will just replace it.
09-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote

Like has been said the fix is easy, Pentax will just replace it.
Sure, send it away to have the AF fixed, then when it gets back, send it away to have the sensor replaced, and then after it gets back, send it away to have the front dial replaced, then you can send it in again to have the rear dial replaced, and after that, send it in to have the main board replaced, and then you can send it in to have the lens release button glued back on, and if you are really lucky, you might even get to send it in to have some other button replaced.
Oh, and don't forget to check for dust under the rear LCD cover.
Have I forgotten anything?
And all the gloaters that figure it can't happen to them, consider that with some of these problems, the best you can say is it hasn't happened to you yet. Some of these are design flaws that may well affect every K5 at some point (I'm thinking of buttons falling off).
Don't worry, be happy, and I hope you have second hobbies that will allow you to pass the time while your camera is in the shop.

09-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Wheatfield, I've been away for a while but aren't you the same one who started a thread mocking people who had issues with K-5 a while ago?
09-25-2011, 06:40 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn, I missed reading these K-5 forums -- it is almost like going to circus and watching clowns and trained animals repeat the same thing over and over!

And oh, I am happy to report that a stupid tree rat hit my fender the other day on my way to work! It just disintegrated on impact, but not before leaving a bit of a mess on my car I wish it got under my tires instead but oh well, there is always another time!
09-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Damn, I missed reading these K-5 forums -- it is almost like going to circus and watching clowns and trained animals repeat the same thing over and over!

And oh, I am happy to report that a stupid tree rat hit my fender the other day on my way to work! It just disintegrated on impact, but not before leaving a bit of a mess on my car I wish it got under my tires instead but oh well, there is always another time!
Otis has no shortage of volunteer Squirrels, and he aims to please! Look for one "next time" on the curve of a rain slick highway with a 500 foot drop off on both sides. Thank him on your way down!
Regards!
09-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #26

More drama here than all TV shows put together. Now I know why Pentax stick with the motto : 'Be Interesting'
09-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by silverelantra Quote
More drama here than all TV shows put together. Now I know why Pentax stick with the motto : 'Be Interesting'
Try to find this much fun on a dry and solemn Nikon or Canon Forum! Those guys are deadly serious, but I don't see that they do any better than we do, from viewing our K5 Photo thread. ...we just have more fun doing it. Better than a Soap Opera, and no calories, although I do keep a bag of chips handy.......
Regards!
09-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Hey Wheatfield, I've been away for a while but aren't you the same one who started a thread mocking people who had issues with K-5 a while ago?
Well, some people felt that way, including one who is very eloquent about crowing how wonderful his camera is.
For some reason, his mockery is acceptable, as is that of his harem.
I was also the guy who made light of the AF thing and the stains thing.
I told people that if it breaks, send it in, and stop your whining.
Just to make sure we have all of our bases covered.

But then a guy had yet a different and up to that point undiscovered problem with his camera, and I the little voice in my head that is the smart one among the lot of them finally said enough. This camera has had too many different and unrelated goof ups, problems and issues, including some that aren't just inconvenient, but can disable the camera, or at least render it to being of very limited use.
The same little voice said that cars that have this many problems end up in the pages of books written by Phil Edmonston.

How many cameras can anyone name that have come up with as many different ways to fail as the K5 has?

One could almost make a season of a reality show out of the K5.
"A Dozen Ways to Die", the hot, exciting new reality series on Spike this season.

It's not the failure rate, it's the sheer number of different ones.
It's too many.
And it's too bad, because the K5 really is a nice camera.
I just think it has passed the point of no return.
09-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Look for one "next time" on the curve of a rain slick highway with a 500 foot drop off on both sides. Thank him on your way down!
Regards!
Awwwe, that's all you got? Just hoping that I'd drive off a 500-foot cliff because I ran over a tree rat?

For devil's sake, you are losing it rodent-boy! After all your fanboy fare so far, you should at least know how to say in every single post of yours things like, "the K-5 is a great camera because...., because my tree rat says so, and yes, it has a high ISO, and that's it... the camera has a very, very high ISO, and it also has buttons and dials and stuff, and also very high ISO."
09-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Wheat field, have fun here.....I'm going to leave it with you in this thread...I can play tit for tat as long as anyone, but we are just repeating the same things over and over.....
I'll leave you with this thought......and it flies counter to your vision of doom for the K5. Considering the problems, certainly acknowledged, and those with no problems, also well documented, it is not possible to read the the entirety of the K5 Forum and not come away with the overwhelming feeling that people in both camps love the K5. It is said over and over......even those unfortunate ones are generally rare at cursing the K5 or swearing off of it. You can't pin this on "Fanboy mentality"...it has to be because it is something very special.

Point of no return? I'm not even sure what that means? I wouldn't return my K5 for anything out there, it is a dream camera for me...and again, I am not alone, apparently. If something happened to my K5, in any way, I would get it repaired or buy a new one as quickly as possible....and cry while I waited for it.
I've been around a while......life itself is full of defects and imperfections. Mrs Rupert has a few faults that might qualify for that "point of no return"......but she also has qualities that would not be easy to replace, if they could be replaced. You weigh it all out and make a decision......I'm as right about my K5 as I am about Mrs Rupert, and it has already brought me more joy than a box of Squirrels. ....and unlike Mrs Rupert, it has no addiction to credit cards!
Best Regards!