Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2011, 03:41 AM   #1

The stain issue - it's not over!

Hi everyone,

first of all I'd like to say thanks to all of you for the invaluable information (and pics) I got on this great forum.

So, here's a small contribution from me - and it's bad news!

When I was doing the PP job on my latest pictures in one of them I detected a string of pearls, shot against the blue sky at f13.

Just have a look at the tests shot with different lenses at f22.

So, I sent my K-5 in, they confirmed the stain and a new cam is on its way. BUT will this never end?

Perhaps you might want to know that my K-5 was built 3/3/2011 with a SN 401xxxx.

Cheers
harpoh

Attached Images

09-25-2011, 05:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

We'll probably see another run of them here as more people go looking now that there is a confirmed incident with a recent build.
Pentax just can't seem to get anything right with this camera.
09-25-2011, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
String of pearls, instant freeze, AF in artificial light, mirror flop, lens release button falling off,.......
A good camera for shooting tree rat though.
Price dropped by $400, maybe the new model will be out soon.

Pentax Digital Camera K-5i (improved K-5)
Ricoh Corporation
Assembled in Philippines

Last edited by violini; 09-25-2011 at 07:36 AM.
09-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'll continue to add to my lens collection while i wait on these "issues" to be sorted out

09-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
String of pearls, instant freeze, AF in artificial light, mirror flop, lens release button falling off,.......
A good camera for shooting tree rat though.
Price dropped by $400, maybe the new model will be out soon.

Pentax Digital Camera K-5i (improved K-5)
Ricoh Corporation
Assembled in Philippines

Interesting....Welcome New Member Harpoh, and thanks for joining PF so you could make your first visit here to let us know the K5 problems "will never end". For the vast majority of us, fortunately, the problems " will never begin". I am sure that is unsettling to some, and I regret any that do have problems, but refuse to suck the joy out of the many that are enjoying every minute of shooting with their K5.

Violini....Can you be more specific? Is this a thread to bash the K5 or "Tree Rats"? Your response was confusing, you seem torn between the two, maybe you can clarify it for us?
Meanwhile, I think I will take the "Tree Rats" over blue sky shots into infinity..... maybe not as interesting to you, but to me they are a better use of my K5 than shooting up at the sky and waiting for it to fall.

Wheatfield....Get a soapbox to stand on....I'm not hearing you all that well as I shoot with my perfectly functioning K5...you know, the one where they got "Everything Right". And...I am no where near being alone. That must really irritate you?
Regards!
09-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #6

Rupert, where are your manners?
I think that harpoh is a bit concerned to find this "feature" in a camera with a fairly late serial No. and I do understand that. Secondly he is located in Hamburg so this summer a blue sky was a scarce sight, I understand the urge to document this rare occurrence. (harpoh, I'm located not far away, in another Hanse city).

I have a 382xxxx serial No. and my camera also shows that pearly string. I wasn't too bothered as it only shows up in rare cases, nonetheless it is fault from manufacture and a "feature" that such a camera should not have.
Now my camera developed a little problem with the front wheel, it's not always switching in the intended direction and when you want to switch 6 or 8 steps on the exposure time it is taking a lot of patience to arrive at the desired setting. I now might send it for a replacement. But clearly there are some QC problems, it's difficult to fathom, though, how widely they are spread as those with problems will always be more likely to post than those without.

You are right, though, that the vast majority of K-5's is working fine and has a clean sensor. On the other hand that sensor stain issue should have been resolved for new K-5s a good while ago. So I think that voicing concern is not necessarily showing intention to bash the K-5. Maybe Violini has misread that and thought it was a place for K-5 (and squirrel) bashing. Could well be that Violini would like to throw defective K-5s at squirrels. Who knows.

I think you should that original post of harpoh serious and just ignore the Violini post.

Prieni
09-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
Inactive Account

A few legitimate stain issues have been reported with newer cameras (post 12/20/2010). It's entirely possible that a few of the stained sensors slipped through. Especially since this does not show up on most right away. My first one was 'clean' until I had taken about 3000 shots. So far so good with my second one (since the end of February).

09-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Prieni Quote
Rupert, where are your manners?
Perhaps you are right.....I don't claim to always be right, that's Otis, not me. How I see it is maybe different......

I open the door and see a new stranger, he comes in my living room and promptly drops a snake.So, I am definitely sorry he found a snake in my yard, assuming he did find a snake in my yard, but I do have a problem when he asks me if snakes in my living room will ever come to an end? I never had a snake in my living room, and neither did most others I know.

As for Violini, it was just as I stated.......are you here to bash the K5 or Squirrels...or both? Seemed a simple enough question to me?

And Wheatfield.....well, we all know Wheatfield, Otis likens him to the little mosquito behind his right ear here........it may be irritating, but harmless.

Nokton 58mm @ F1.4...nice lens BTW
[IMG] [/IMG]

Anyhow, you may be right, and pleasing everyone is not possible. I don't always "get it right"......and I don't always "get it wrong" either. When in doubt I always go to Otis......he never gets it wrong. He didn't comment on my reply here, but did offer Violini the same voting opportunity he has given a couple of other Squirrel Haters........fair enough?

Best Regards!
09-25-2011, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #9

Again the squirrel king feel is his duty to defend Pentaxland. I can't understand why do you care? Somebody posted he found a problem that was not suppose to happen (i think Pentax stated that was an early models problem before some date). Ok, Pentax did what a fair company should do, and they are changing his camera. Good for you and others who do not have problems, i don't think anyone stated all K-5's have problems. Do you get a "loyal fan-boy" ribbon if you comment on everyone who talk about a problem?
09-25-2011, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
Again the squirrel king feel is his duty to defend Pentaxland. I can't understand why do you care? Somebody posted he found a problem that was not suppose to happen (i think Pentax stated that was an early models problem before some date). Ok, Pentax did what a fair company should do, and they are changing his camera. Good for you and others who do not have problems, i don't think anyone stated all K-5's have problems. Do you get a "loyal fan-boy" ribbon if you comment on everyone who talk about a problem?
Nope, no reward.....yet? But I think we need to keep the balance. I see no shortage of "Defect Posts" and don't have a problem with them, but when you start adding commentary that is not relevant to the problem, I think it is fair to point that out. If the sky does fall, that is indeed worth noting, but I have nothing but sunny skies here, and so do most others. Would you prefer us to remain silent? It is not fair to potential buyers to be denied the information from those like me that are totally thrilled by the K5. They can read for themselves and decide...but they can't read it if it isn't here, can they?
Regards!
09-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Pentax has publicly indicated that they will replace ALL sensors that show this problem.
Instead of griping about it, just send it in for a replacement. I really don't see the point of making a big deal about it and extrapolating that Pentax has a serious problem on their hands, which isn't the case.
09-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #12

Original Poster
I do have to add that I was totally satisfied with my K-5 until that bloody stain showed up (@ Prieni: pic was taken in Rome with no clouds at all ). So, I surely have no intention of starting an other K-5 bashing. And surely with the replacement everything's going to be fine again - or is it?

So, no reason for anyone (let alone the "vast majority") to get frustrated or even jump ... no don't, just don't!

Regards
harpoh
Attached Images

09-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #13

Well somehow those who have no problem kinda fail, since a problem stated is dealing with a specific fact. "I like my camera", "mine is perfect" are more like subjective assertions, they do not add much for the potential buyer. There is also the problem of credibility of the person who say those things. Maybe if you, the positive guys would start a topic and gather there experiences that show how K-5 is better than previous Pentaxes and at least the same as competition would be better. Things like "but we have WR", "we have SR", "we have great primes" equals zero. Post stories where WR saved the day and you got a great shot, show others what they are missing by not using the camera in conditions where WR is needed, show how WR lenses shine despite being low priced (compared to canikons). Some have used Canikons, share experience about AF, menu, ease of use, lenses quality, etc. Compare the great prime results with similar lenses from others, both the expensive ones and the cheaper ones (no point in saying primes from others are twice as expensive, they have also cheaper primes). Show how K-5's AF was able to track a fart from an ass traveling with 100 miles on a motorway, things like this will convince people to buy Pentax. At least that is what i believe. Here is a hint. I did study a little the grass in Nikonland, and before i even touched a camera there were few things i did not liked at all: firmware update have to be done at service, if i update it is considered unauthorized intervention and void warranty. Pentax does not have this kind of stupidity. The rubber used for both cameras and lenses is famous for not staying glued. Nikon (at least where i live) will ask you money as they consider this "mechanical shock" so therefore not covered by warranty. D7000 does not have pixel mapping (even my K-x has it). If i buy from another EU country the warranty is 1 year (compared to 3 here), no problem with that, but if i have a problem with the camera i have to send it on my own money to them. They will pay only if i bought the camera from my country. Even if i bought the camera here and they are sending courier to pick it up on their expense, they are not to be hold responsible if the camera gets damage in transit. Translation - the package is not insured and if something happens it's your problem ))
09-25-2011, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #14

StepOne, can you do me a favour and format your posts? As is it's much too long to read without formating.

Prieni
09-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Harpov,
Welcome to pentax land.

I just found that string in my camera as well, Sn 400xxxx. I've had the sneaking suspicion after having to remove it from a coupla pictures recently and this thread just reminded me to go look to see if it was more than a one time thing. Nope, its there.

Like others it rarely shows up, but I like to print fairly large and i don't want to have to check for it. Pretty near to the center of the sensor.

I still like this camera a lot!!!! Let me give you an example. i was taking this picture where i needed most if not all of the frame. couldn't afford to crop after i got home. So turned on that live leveling feature while i had it on a tripod. So cool, Orient the camera perfect with the horizon, whether you can see it or not. Having used it once. I have used it a coupla times since now while on tripod (why would you use it otherwise). Glad i saved my K20, but i will definitely be impatient to get a K5 back.

Rupert, sorry guy, remove this thread subscription and you'll feel better