Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What is the use of the top LCD with setting values display ?

I don't have this camera but this is something I'm interested in. When do people actually use it ? and not see the settings on the back LCD screen ?

09-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't own the K-5 , but have used the K-7 which has the same feature where it displays all the current Settings in blue on the rear LCD...

In short I'd say when using Live View or when just wanting to check the settings quickly and its on the tripod.. when wanting to glance down at it around your neck without lifting the camera up to see the rear... It also uses far less battery...
09-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
You mean when would the user look at the info on the LCD?

Pretty much every time I pick up the camera as I'm putting it to my eye. The back screen only pops up with a 3 second review (wish I could do shorter) after taking a shot.
09-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote

Pretty much every time I pick up the camera as I'm putting it to my eye. The back screen only pops up with a 3 second review (wish I could do shorter) after taking a shot.
His referring I believe to the "Settings Display" that appear on the >= K-7 cameras... it displays all the same info as the K20D does on teh Top-LCD in 'realtime' on the rear LCD

09-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I have the rear LCD disabled to save power. The top LCD provides a much handier reference anyway, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I have the rear LCD disabled to save power. The top LCD provides a much handier reference anyway, IMO.
+1 Idem,
I disable also the rear LCD and I use all the time to top LCD.
09-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
When do people actually use it ?
Every time I use my camera. I shoot a lot at night and having the illuminated screen is priceless since I don't have constantly look through the viewfinder to see my settings. I would never use a camera that doesn't have a top LCD display.

09-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

When the back lcd is on it shines in your eyes when you look in the viewfinder, especially if you wear glasses. The small one is unobtrusive but gives you the information you need.
09-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
Pentaxian

my top display is the most useful one by far. i have the rear LCD turned off because i dont want auto preview of images nor do i want that bright status screen when shooting night pics. i use the top display to peek and tweak just as it is coming up to my eye. once at my eye and i've composed and focused, i use the viewfinder display for green button tweaking or to change shutter and aperture. i guess everyone does things differently so it is great to have options.
09-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

i should add that when shooting with live view, the settings display incorporated into live view is excellent for making tweaks.
09-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Whenever I want to do a quick check of the setting prior to bringing the cam up to my head. Sometimes, the top LCD is the easiest place to read settings also. I'm not even sure that my K100dS will even display settings on the back LCD, since they are visible in the view finder and on top.
09-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote

The instant review can be set to 1,3,5 seconds or can be completely turned off.
Neat feature, especially in places where is not allowed to take pictures.

The top LCD is extremely useful, but it takes time to get used to actually use it.

Octav
09-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #13

I am also in the turn off the back display camp - the top display gives me everything I need for shooting.
09-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The top display is also visible in direct sun without shading it. In fact, the brighter the sun the clearer the top display.

Plus, it has a very nice green-yellow back light for night use that lets me read it with my 51 year old eyes without needing my glasses.

Last edited by mtansley; 09-27-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Stupid typo - face instead of fact.
09-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I carry the camera with my left hand under the lens. Easy to look down and see the "big three" plus mode dial on top. Can't really tilt the camera forward to see the back very easily. I shoot mostly in P and rarely use the viewfinder for any information as I wear glasses (and clip-on sunglasses outside) so I can't see much of anything there because I can't get close enough to the VF.