Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
am i the only one who's shocked by the use of a K5 in green mode
I'm with you. Why anyone would use green mode with this fine piece of equipment is not clear to me

09-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
Why anyone would use green mode with this fine piece of equipment is not clear to me
Why?
Because sometimes it's good enough.
Because even n00bs buy great gear.
Because sometimes ya gotta hand the camera to a n00b.
Because there is no Brown mode.
Because it's there.
09-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Because it's there.
That would be one of the reasons to use it.
09-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #19

My father in law has a top of the line Nikon. He never shoots out of auto. his pictures are crap. literally. shutter speed is always too slow, AP always too small. He wont take the manual plunge. Just sayin. people get these great camera's, then put them in auto, get too comfortable with it, and never use them to their potential. If you want an automatic camera point and shoots are a lot cheaper.

That being said, I dont mean to offend anyone... Its just I see way too many people in my life using awesome expensive camera's in auto and getting awful photo's time after time.

Last edited by CEWren; 09-26-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: incorrect wording
09-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I dug out the manual for the camera and it confirms that the continuous shooting mode will not work in green mode but it does not give any explanation as to why. I would still like to know the reasoning behind it however if anyone has any thoughts other than not being able to understand why someone would want to use green mode.
09-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Preston Quote
Thanks for the info. I dug out the manual for the camera and it confirms that the continuous shooting mode will not work in green mode but it does not give any explanation as to why. I would still like to know the reasoning behind it however if anyone has any thoughts other than not being able to understand why someone would want to use green mode.
The thinking seems to be to assume the user is a "DSLR idiot" if they are in green mode, so all sorts of things are disabled that could trip up a newbie; things like shooting in RAW, AF fine adjustment, Hi-continuous shooting (along with some other drive modes), and probably a bunch of other features...

Shooting in P mode I think brings back all those disabled features while retaining very green mode like ease of use.
09-27-2011, 12:27 AM   #22
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep. P mode gives full customisation without needing to think about the exposure triad while shooting.
Green mode is designed to be as fool-proof as possible, because some shooters unintentionally mash the shutter button or don't know they don't have the right RAW converter, or don't want to process RAW, etc...
09-27-2011, 03:57 AM   #23
Veteran Member

So where is the green mode? Sounds just like what I need for the old boy
cheers
Jan

09-27-2011, 04:58 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Yes, Preston, don't be daunted by the P mode: It is just as automatic as the green one, but without disabled functions.

I sometimes hand my camera to a point-and-shoot person, and since I nearly always use continuos shooting (I shoot a lot of birds), I managed to shock people a couple of times. (I only recently got a k5, and my k7 does NOT disable continuous shooting in green). In fact the surprise very nearly made my mom drop my camera once, just because of the machine-gun like shutter sound when she pressed the release button (slooowly).

So I sort of think it makes sense to disable this in green mode. It's your camera, you might as well use P. And in time you might want to explore the other modes. Av is my personal favourite for most stuff, since 1) it makes me think about my choice of depth of field, and 2) for my bird shooting I usually want the largest aperture I can get, so that I can use the shortest shutter time allowed by the light conditions.

No need to think about all this stuff though, if you don't care. Just switch to P, and I bet you anything that there is no feature you will miss that you had available in green...