Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

K-5 and Lightroom profiles

I just got LR3 and imported my files from my K-5. Under Camera Calibration I only have the following options: Adobe Standard and Embedded. Is that all the profiles for the K-5 there are? In the book I have on LR3 the author uses Nikon and shows a whole list of profiles. Is there something I'm missing or doing wrong or is the K-5 not supported? Anyone with a K-5 and using LR please help.

09-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #2

From what I understand, specific camera profile is stored in the exif, i.e. Embedded profile. I created a custom profile using ColorChecker Passport for my K-7 but that's optional.
09-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What about this thread?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/102344-wanted-...-profiles.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter

The Adobe standard that you see is the Adobe K-5 profile. LR doesn't show you all the profiles for all the cameras it has, only the one that matches your camera. You can make your own profiles, and since the Nikon and Canon communities are so large, I suspect that there are many user generated and shared profiles in the wild.

The Adobe profile for the K-5 is designed to give realistic colors in the opinion of the Adobe engineers, but this is very different from the in camera jpeg engine or the profiles that Pentax provides with it's provided software.

09-28-2011, 12:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
In the book I have on LR3 the author uses Nikon and shows a whole list of profiles. Is there something I'm missing or doing wrong or is the K-5 not supported?
There's nothing wrong. Adobe put some of the Nikon camera jpg profiles in Ligthroom and as I recall maybe for a few Canon cameras, that's all. If you want to use the same image tone profiles found in your Pentax camera (e.g. Natural, Bright, Vibrant, etc) then your only option is to use Pentax Digital Camera Utility.

If you want something very close to Pentax's image tone then select Embedded profile in LR. I've found the difference to be very minimal between the output from Pentax DCU and LR 3.4 using embedded profile.
09-28-2011, 02:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey,
Btw, if you want to compare profiles for the K-5 : Lightroom Profiles, Adobe Standard Vs K-5 Embedded | La Belle Lumière
Arno
09-28-2011, 03:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
Hey,
Btw, if you want to compare profiles for the K-5 : Lightroom Profiles, Adobe Standard Vs K-5 Embedded | La Belle Lumière
Arno
That's interesting not much difference is there which is what I have found , I use a colour passport checker as previously suggested for super critical stuff for example photo cataloguing paintings for copy/ signed prints.
09-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the information. So it looks like LR automatically makes adjustments to the imported DNG file and there is no way to have the "untouched" DNG using that program. The initial profile is set as Adobe Standard and I don't see how to change the default to Embedded, which in one post someone said would be the closest to the original file. I also don't like that LR automatically adjusts the brightness, contrast, blacks, sharpening and color noise reduction at import (ie. brightness is initially set at +50). I guess the only way to preserve the original DNG file is to keep the memory cards or drag and drop them onto a hard drive and leave them alone. Viewing the pictures in LR I'm finding that my pictures are not as sharp as I expected. I will have to do some more testing with lens adjustments. I have two Tokina lenses that worked wonderfully on my film camera and I have enlarged many photos from those negatives that are exceptional. I have not gotten those results with the K-5 and the same lenses. Somewhat frustrating at this point. Any information on using Lightroom with K-5 dng files is appreciated.

09-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #9

So it looks like LR automatically makes adjustments to the imported DNG file and there is no way to have the "untouched" DNG using that program.
If you want to zero all of the LR defaults, click the General - Zeroed preset in the Lightroom Presets. To make that the default for the camera, hold down the Alt/Option key and click on Set Default... at the bottom of the right panel in the Development module.

The same procedure works for any set of settings that you want to make the defaults for the camera, with options to restrict them by camera serial number and ISO.

In any case, the LR defaults are non-destructive, and it is easy enough to change them for specific photos.

Jeff
09-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the information. Someone in the Adobe Lightroom forum stated the following in regards to the Embedded profile option:

"Embedded", as far as I know, only appears for non-raw formats, those formats that Lightroom can't render from raw. The Embedded camera profile is whatever was used to render a non-raw image from the original raw data that the camera captured.

I have RAW, DNG format set on my K-5 and import into LR using the Copy command, so I don't know what the Embedded means if it is only suppose to be for jpeg or tiff files.
09-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter

It appears you have a misunderstanding of how a raw/dng file is processed in Lightroom. LR doesn't ever change the files, it applies the adjustments you make to the original image to display it. These changes are saved in the LR database, not into the dng file. Also, you can set the default adjustments to be anything you want, so if you want them all at zero, set them all to zero and save them as the default.
09-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, you're right. Having switched to digital photography just recently with buying the K-5 and using Lightroom for the first time it was all very confusing to me. I do understand it a little better now, at least I hope I do. I appreciate all the information that people posted to help. So, if I decided (in the future) not to use LR and switch to another program, then the DNG file would just be saved on the hard drive as the Raw DNG file even though I originally imported my files from my memory card into LR? Does that make sense? I'm just trying to safeguard my Raw files for future use.
09-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yes, you're right. Having switched to digital photography just recently with buying the K-5 and using Lightroom for the first time it was all very confusing to me. I do understand it a little better now, at least I hope I do. I appreciate all the information that people posted to help. So, if I decided (in the future) not to use LR and switch to another program, then the DNG file would just be saved on the hard drive as the Raw DNG file even though I originally imported my files from my memory card into LR? Does that make sense? I'm just trying to safeguard my Raw files for future use.
As others have said, the RAW files are unchanged. Changes are stored as described above.

However, the best way to safeguard your RAW files is to copy them to an Archive CD or DVD before you do anything with them. After archiving them, move the files to the HD and do whatever you want with them.

Keep the RAW files on the card until you have archived them and copied them to the HD.

If the HD is the only place you keep the RAW files, you are at risk of losing them to a disk crash no matter what LR does to them.

I copy them to the CD and the HD as described above and also backup the HD. The CDs and the backup HDs are kept in a fire safe. I have a 3 bay Sata drive housing I use for backup by slipping 500 gig drives in and out of it. 500 gig drives have gotten pretty cheap, so they make good backup drives.

Ray
10-01-2011, 05:43 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Yes, you're right. Having switched to digital photography just recently with buying the K-5 and using Lightroom for the first time it was all very confusing to me. I do understand it a little better now, at least I hope I do. I appreciate all the information that people posted to help. So, if I decided (in the future) not to use LR
No info re K5 and LR profiles, but if you are new to LR, this book is written really nicely.

Amazon.com: The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter) (9780321700919): Scott Kelby: Books

When I first tried out LR, I was about to ditch it and try something else. Someone suggested this book. I rented it from the library. Finnally understood how LR works and now I use it and am very satisfied.