Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 39
Manual white balance problems on K5

I hope somone can help me out with this ...

I set a MWB but got a terrible blue colour cast, now I just can't get rid of it

When I try to replace it, with a gray card reading for example, it hardly changes at all. Sure I can use the other 2 MWB settings but how do I make a wrong setting go away?

I've RTFM but that's no help at all and I've done a search here to no avail.

What am I missing here?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Graham

09-28-2011, 01:52 AM   #2
Senior Member
dragra's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ljubljana
Photos: Albums
Posts: 238
QuoteOriginally posted by 2grahamb Quote
I hope somone can help me out with this ...

I set a MWB but got a terrible blue colour cast, now I just can't get rid of it

When I try to replace it, with a gray card reading for example, it hardly changes at all. Sure I can use the other 2 MWB settings but how do I make a wrong setting go away?

I've RTFM but that's no help at all and I've done a search here to no avail.

What am I missing here?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Graham
Shoot RAW.
09-28-2011, 02:10 AM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 39
Original Poster
As I only ever shoot RAW that's not really the answer I was looking for dragra.
Even shooting RAW exclusively there are times I'd like to set WB using a gray card to get a consistent WB. I often find the K5s AWB to be too cool and fiddling with it in LR3 isn't always successful I find. That Tint slider is very sensitive and hard to set to what I want.

So just how do you delete a MWB setting in camera? It doesn't seem to be that easy or I'm missing something.

Graham
09-28-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
Senior Member
dragra's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ljubljana
Photos: Albums
Posts: 238
QuoteOriginally posted by 2grahamb Quote
As I only ever shoot RAW that's not really the answer I was looking for dragra.
Even shooting RAW exclusively there are times I'd like to set WB using a gray card to get a consistent WB. I often find the K5s AWB to be too cool and fiddling with it in LR3 isn't always successful I find. That Tint slider is very sensitive and hard to set to what I want.

So just how do you delete a MWB setting in camera? It doesn't seem to be that easy or I'm missing something.

Graham
I don't quite understand your workflow. All you need to do is shoot a gray card in RAW - all the rest of the magic you do in Lightroom.

If it's hard for you to catch the WB slider you can also enter precise numeric color temperature values.

Cheers,
D

09-28-2011, 02:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lyngby, Copenhagen
Photos: Albums
Posts: 742
QuoteOriginally posted by 2grahamb Quote
So just how do you delete a MWB setting in camera? It doesn't seem to be that easy or I'm missing something.
You don't delete it as such, you just overwrite it the next time you need a manual white balance.

Regards,
--Anders.
09-28-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 39
Original Poster
That's just it Anders, when I attempt to overwrite it the previous colour cast setting still has an influence on the new MWB. I thought there might be some way to delete it but maybe there isn't.
09-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lyngby, Copenhagen
Photos: Albums
Posts: 742
That sounds odd. Are you in a USER mode, or one of the plain P,A,T,M modes on the program dial? I'm asking because the USER modes affect how settings persist.

Sincerely,
--Anders.
09-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by 2grahamb Quote
That's just it Anders, when I attempt to overwrite it the previous colour cast setting still has an influence on the new MWB. I thought there might be some way to delete it but maybe there isn't.
When you are in the WB Adjustment area, press the Green Button to recenter the WB. Then you can just start over. Why you cannot get a satisfactory one however is beyond any help I'm going to be able to provide.



09-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 39
Original Poster
No I only use M, TAV or AV mode and occassionally User, but not when I had this issue.

I managed to overcome this issue by shooting a gray card then in Playback Mode pressing the 4 way down button and saving the WB as a MWB. This then overwrote the colour casted setting. As dragra wrote above I could just shoot a gray card then sync the WB in Lightroom, but sometimes I want to set WB in camera instead. Thank you all for your help.

Graham
09-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 39
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
When you are in the WB Adjustment area, press the Green Button to recenter the WB. Then you can just start over. Why you cannot get a satisfactory one however is beyond any help I'm going to be able to provide.


Thanks for the input Jeff, but the setting was already centred and whatever I did I couldn't get rid of the colour cast.
See my other post below/above?? for my workaround.

Graham
09-29-2011, 01:06 AM   #11
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Galati on Danube-Romania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 33
Sorry to say: Yes, my K5 (siver if any importance) has a poorly MWB ( toward Samsung GX20-perfect MWB), but not horrible. AWB is good only in the low domain of color temperature, but has a blue color cast (little one) in the high domain. There is possibility of adjusting this deviation if they are not to large. If is impossible to obtain good color balance, this can be a defective camera.
Verify your setting in Menu/ C2/ 10. WB Adjustable range/ 1. Auto adjustment or 2. Fixed. If Auto adjustment is selected, there is a possibility (not verified by me yet) in camera to change (tune) your original MWB setting .
Question: the poorly MWB appears on the LCD of the camera identic to the LCD of the computer for the p.p.? If not, there is possible of wrong balance of color in one display or even two.

Last edited by Paunel; 09-29-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, help, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White balance problems with kx heralu Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 02-16-2011 03:39 AM
K-5 White Balance problems conroy11 Pentax K-5 7 12-25-2010 07:38 AM
Frustrated with KX Manual White Balance for IR... Internetpilot Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 06-15-2010 01:30 PM
Manual Focus + white balance yusuf Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 04-25-2010 09:55 AM
K7 White Balance Problems jacksonpritt Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 01-05-2010 05:46 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:17 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top