Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Electronic Horizon

I have just had my K-5 returned from jpservice solutions, having sent it back under warrantee for recalibration. The problem I had was that the electronic horizon was out of alignment with the viewfinder by about two degrees of rotation. Just before returning it, the pop up flash also failed to recharge, so I included that on the report.

It has come back this morning and the flash is working but the horizon is still out of alignment. They have replaced the main pcb and recalibrated it according to the repair slip. What is going on here? What is the point of having an electronic horizon that tells me to put the camera on a slope of 2 degrees? The viewfinder and the sensor are correctly aligned, but with the camera level the displayed horizon in the viewfinder and on the back screen is not.

Has anyone else seen this problem with their K-5?

Thank you.

09-28-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never used it......I crop almost every shot and level in processing to suit my taste. I guess I am just not too particular when shooting, the large images have made me a cropping addict.Sometimes I crop the crop of a crop.......quite often in fact. It is a sort of disease, I think?

Anyhow, I regret your problem...have you called them for an explanation?
Regards
09-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, I have, but the technician was not available. I am waiting for them to call back, but I'm not holding my breath. perhaps you should check yours, it might be a 'feature'.
09-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #4

Mine is working OK in the viewfinder ..it's a usefull feature witch you paid for .

09-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Inactive Account

The electronic levels on both the K7 and the K5 have typically been out of kilter. I've never bothered to check mine but I do use it to 'level' the tripod head when I'm using one with pretty satisfactory results. I believe the Horizon correction is based, on the level. It's really a shame that they can't (or won't) give US the option of adjusting them. Dive in around here and you'll find plenty of discussion about it.

09-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I checked mine...appears to be working, but I can see it is for tripod use, and I almost never use a tripod. If I did, I would want it to work properly. Hand holding the Bigma and getting the levels to line up is not easy, I have very steady hands, but that is pushing my limits!
Regards!
09-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Known problem. Unknown answer.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/149797-how-adjust-calibrate-auto-level.html

09-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
Inactive Account

K5JSPano_DetRiver1_m35105_SiJ_July25_2011 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It's most useful to me when I'm doing something like this. A 14 shot Panorama. Having each shot level helps in putting them together. A Tripod or Monopod (as with the above Pano) are the only times I use the level. For most regular shots, I rely on the lines on the focus screen in the viewfinder. When I get it wrong, there's always room to crop.

09-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

mine is right on the money. Send it back. My K7 was off about 2 degrees as well.
09-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
mine is right on the money. Send it back. My K7 was off about 2 degrees as well.
Looks like you got lucky second time around.
To the OP, how are you deciding that your level is off?
09-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have one of the first K-5's in the Benelux, when I received it in december last year, the level was off as well.
I did send it in for service and spoke with the engineer at the Beukelaer in Belgium who did the level calibration.
It took him 2 weeks then, because they had to wait for special K-5 calibration software from Japan.
If this is true, a change of the main PC board is not the type of repair needed for level adjustment.

Many posters have rightfully suggested Pentax to make the level user calibrated, like the AF fine adjustment in the custom menu.

Bert
09-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #12
Forum Member

I‘ve sent my K-5 for stain issue – after 9 weeks got a newer body Ser 401XX. The new body came with the horizontal error about 2deg'
After 600 frame I faced the mirror issue. I guess I should have stayed with the original problem
09-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
that's what pentax asked me too and my reply was that all my pics using the level look like this:

not my best work, obviously. the processed final pano is here: http://mikeoria.zenfolio.com/img/v24/p129253323-6.jpg

of course it has been postulated that one day California will break off into the ocean; perhaps my camera is just accurately depicting the first signs here.

at least it is a left leaning liberal K-5 and not tending the OTHER way.

Last edited by mikeSF; 09-29-2011 at 10:43 AM.
09-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That's quite easy to see. My K-7 was visibly off, I sent it for repair and Pentax Canada fixed it to my satisfaction. My K-5 is OK.
09-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Monobod Quote
I have just had my K-5 returned from jpservice solutions, having sent it back under warrantee for recalibration. The problem I had was that the electronic horizon was out of alignment with the viewfinder by about two degrees of rotation. Just before returning it, the pop up flash also failed to recharge, so I included that on the report.

It has come back this morning and the flash is working but the horizon is still out of alignment. They have replaced the main pcb and recalibrated it according to the repair slip. What is going on here? What is the point of having an electronic horizon that tells me to put the camera on a slope of 2 degrees? The viewfinder and the sensor are correctly aligned, but with the camera level the displayed horizon in the viewfinder and on the back screen is not.

Has anyone else seen this problem with their K-5?

Thank you.
To what are you comparing the electronic horizon to, is it a bubble level slipped in to the flash shoe?
If so, check if that shoe is correctly aligned with the body, or if that level is well made...
BTW, I would not know how to check the hot shoe's alignment, but sometimes I doubt that thing is well assembled, I had that issue with a LX, rather a long time ago...