Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Manual lenses on K5

To be short, I posted this text, associated with the manual Pentax M 135mm/F3.5 lens in the "Lens Database":
Pentax-M 135mm F3.5 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Important is the extension of the hood, adapted to the new angle of the lens if is transferred from the film camera to the DSLR. This increase the contrast of images if they are shot in contrejour.
Another need for a good manual focus (including the focusing screen, obvious) is a ocular shell to mask the ambient light entering between the eye and the camera improper shell. This parasite light decrease the contrast of the image on the focusing screen, making the manual focus more difficult. See the first image of my camera at the above link.

Last edited by Paunel; 09-28-2011 at 01:03 PM.
09-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been playing with an old K-mount M50 f/2 lens and haven't had any exposure problems beyond my own inconsistent metering choices. I don't have a hood for that lens, which I definitely should be using. I'll have to look for a suitable one. I have found that 50mm f/2 a very nice lens for color response.

Perhaps the problems are greater with longer lenses. I have a K-mount 135mm but haven't played with it yet. Usually I'm using the 55-300 or FA100 for that focal length.
09-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #3

Most of my shots are with older Pentax lenses. This is one reason I dumped my Canon 5DII and its lenses for the smaller Pentax ones. I almost never use the kit lens that came with the camera. My tests show excellent results with the older lenses, somewhat better at wide open than the kit lens, I assume that this is to be expected. Needless to say my lenses do not have auto focus, and I don't miss it.

My favorite is a KA mount 28mm - f2.8. I also use a 50mm - f1.4 KA mount, 28-80mm KA mount, and 70-210mm KA mount. None with lens hoods, but I probably should use them if I had them. I have not had much problem without. Recently my 35-70mm KA mount lens died, sure do miss that one.

Wayne ,