Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Woody:
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will likely carryout a plan similar to that. And thank you to sterretje, I had no idea the K10 was so cheap. It will be much easier to save $200-$300 for a K10 or K20 than it will to buy a $1,300 lens anyhow.

I completely agree with what you are saying about having a backup and whatnot, it's just that until now I have been focused on lenses, because mine are beginning to limit my work and create many more hours of editing in some situations (CA's are so bad on my tele, Lightroom can't get rid of them, ghosting on my standard lens, etc.). Although, now I realize I wouldn't even have those photos if I shipped my K5 out sooner without a backup. A backup would at least allow me to work until I get that back, regardless of what I need to do to make the pictures usable.

10-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree with the other answers: if you need to depend on getting the picture, you need a backup body. This was true even when I was in college in the 1960s. Back then many pros used Nikon F for the range of lenses, but carried a Leica "just in case." I commonly used a kit where the main body was high-end (which then meant a film SLR with built-in meter), but always carried a low-end (no meter, entry level) body, both as backup and to be ready with a different angle lens. (Zooms weren't in favor then.)
Any camera can fail at the worst time!
10-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just check KEH. They have several bodies well under $400.00. They even have a K100 super which I believe does support SDM lenses. That can be checked here in the camera reviews forum to make sure my memory is correct, You might also consider one of the *ist D series to get you by till the money becomes more available. they can be had very reasonable . When I upgrade my DL will be kept as a backup.
10-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm curious, have you tried a WET cleaning of your sensor?

I had the strings of pearls stains on my first K5d and sent it in to Pentax. The replacement camera they sent me looked like it also had random stains, but I cleaned them out with a few wet cleanings. The spots looked a LOT like the dreaded K5d stains, but they were not in strings or clusters.

Just my 2 cents

Pat