Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Stains Causing a bit of a Pickle...

So I got a K5 in December, stains showed up in March or so. I have a photography company and now shoot sports for my school's recreational sports clubs as a paid, part time photographer. I never had a period of time where I could afford to not have my camera for the month that it takes to get it repaired, yet I also don't have the 51% income requirement to be in the Pentax Professional Program. I am a student in college, and cannot pay $400 to rent a body for a month so I can keep working. I am the sports program's only photographer, so I can't exactly ask them to hold everything just because Pentax screwed up. Does anyone have any advice or suggestion on what I could do? Pentax chat was basically useless, they said there was nothing they could do for me.

09-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Used Kx

QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
So I got a K5 in December, stains showed up in March or so. I have a photography company and now shoot sports for my school's recreational sports clubs as a paid, part time photographer. I never had a period of time where I could afford to not have my camera for the month that it takes to get it repaired, yet I also don't have the 51% income requirement to be in the Pentax Professional Program. I am a student in college, and cannot pay $400 to rent a body for a month so I can keep working. I am the sports program's only photographer, so I can't exactly ask them to hold everything just because Pentax screwed up. Does anyone have any advice or suggestion on what I could do? Pentax chat was basically useless, they said there was nothing they could do for me.
I would suggest buying a used Kx. From what I know that model has been very dependable. You can probably fetch one for around $400.
09-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I would suggest buying a used Kx. From what I know that model has been very dependable. You can probably fetch one for around $400.
The Kx is a good idea. I've got to send mine back as well, but I decided to keep my K20 for the same reason, and now i get to use it again.

If you don't have the funds for a Kx or other old Pentax dslr, beg or borrow a camera, PS, from a relative or friend. I went to a Democratic party event one time where the Govenor was going to speak. Took my dslr at the time, reporter from the local newspaper showed up with a point and shoot, probably had a good zoom on it. They work remarkably well except for low light. There's a lesson there for most of us
09-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You really ought to have a backup camera, problem or no problem. Sure, buy a used K-x or better yet, buy another K-5.

Your only other options are to rent, borrow a friend's camera, buy a P&S, quit your business, get discouraged, buy into CaNikon (and don't believe that they have any problems either), or well... Go get that old film camera and shoot several rolls of film.

09-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #5

It's not going to help you this time, but if it's available, the next time you buy a camera, get the extended warranty with free loaner program. I've had to send in my K5 twice now, and have gotten a free loaner K5 while it's getting fixed. BTW, curious as to what lens you will be using for the school sports. I just got a 60-250, and I think I love it.
09-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #6

You have a photography company, you probably have lots of contacts, colleagues and friends, no? Did you try borrowing any other camera from one of them?
09-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Can you see them in sportspictures? I mean up to f8 mostly they are not visable or am I wrong?

For any brand it is the same, you need a back-up when you are doing payed work in future. So your K-3 pares up with K-5 good.

09-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dekao Quote
You have a photography company, you probably have lots of contacts, colleagues and friends, no?
I have a few contacts, but we are all students and therefore don't have a great deal of money or willingness to let others use expensive gear. Most people I know with cameras I could use need them on a very regular basis, otherwise I would have gone this route.

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
If I had the money for this I would, and probably will eventually, I just can't at the moment.

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
It's not going to help you this time, but if it's available, the next time you buy a camera, get the extended warranty with free loaner program. I've had to send in my K5 twice now, and have gotten a free loaner K5 while it's getting fixed. BTW, curious as to what lens you will be using for the school sports. I just got a 60-250, and I think I love it.
My photography company is barely a company at this point, with only a few clients. It isn't like I own a studio or do paid work every week for my company. The sports shots I do with a cheap Tamron 75-300, but I have been really wanting the 60-250 or the 50-135, both with the 1.4x Teleconverter. This won't happen for a while though, finances are tight. I didn't know they gave loaners with the extended warranty, otherwise I would have bought it. Isn't the extended warranty not available in Florida though?

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Can you see them in sportspictures? I mean up to f8 mostly they are not visable or am I wrong?
You are correct, but I personally love doing long exposures in my free time, and I want this issue to be fixed regardless of if they show up in paid work.

I never said CaNikon don't have issues, I don't plan on switching anytime soon either, but this experience is annoying me. I will say, when I'm shooting it, I love the K-5. Just getting it in for repairs before my warranty expires is the only issue for me. I really wish I had a loaner program or PP right now.
09-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

beg a family member to help you pay for a kx. when you get your k5 back, sell the kx and pay them back.
09-30-2011, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

If you are relying on your camera for income, be it as a sports photog or a wedding photog, you simply NEED a backup body. Or two.

No ifs or buts.

Forget about stains - what if your K-5 simply got smashed up during an important shoot? So just find a way to get a used K-x or K20, or even a K200D or K10D.
09-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #11

I know it is not easy, but I always keep my previous camera when I upgrade. The K-7 went back twice and the K-20 stood in. Now the K-7 is standing in whilst I get the K-5 fixed (electronic horizon problem). Once you have managed to get two camera bodies, it is less painful, you just sell the third down the line each time. A baackup body is essential, even if it is a Canon G10 or similar.
09-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Here's your best option right now ---> this.

The stains are an annoying disappointment, but do they really affect your work enough to delay things? They can't be cloned/healed out of the final product?

09-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about your K5.

I do not shoot many paid gigs , but occasionally do so, and also shoot some important events (weddings, etc.) unpaid.

This will not help you in the short run, but I would never show up to a paid gig, or even an unpaid gig like a wedding without a backup camera. It is just too risky to take money to shoot without backup equipment.

Yes, it costs you some extra cash, but that's the price of admission in this business.

I have an extra flash, several choices of lenses that cover the needed focal lengths, and always two bodies.

Right now it is a K5 and a K7 for me. The K5 spanks the K7, but the controls are the same and the K20 was good enough to do the job for me for several years so the K7 IQ will suffice as a backup for now.

Ray
10-01-2011, 03:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/159229-sale-p...100d-body.html in the marketplace
A lot cheaper than $400 and you have your backup body; does not support SDM, by the way so if you have SDM only lenses, it might be an issue.

As well as https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/160350-sale-k...0mm-1-4-a.html
10-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #15

Soppy, I'm not trying to be hard on you here, but you have in essence learnt a valuable lesson.

No Pro or semi Pro will usually turn up with no back-up camera, there is just too much to potentially go wrong. It is no different from any other "trade" in that sense. If I as a carpenter turned up at a customers house and I only had one drill and one screwdriver, then that is just asking for trouble, you always have a fallback, even if it is a cheapo DIY tool, at least you can say "look sorry my decent kit has broken, but I can still carry out the work for you".

In your case it would really pay you to aquire a second Pentax body, even one of the older models secondhand. At least you wouldn't be without kit. And really it's how you use the kit that is important, the old adage a bad workman blames his tools still applies. No tools - no money. I know it's hard and expensive, but if you really really want to go Pro, you will have to be prepared to find that expense somehow - otherwise you'll have to turn down the opportunity to earn money and look like a prat at the same time.

If it were me, I would ghet as many paid assigments as possible over the next couple of months, then use any money earned to buy a second camera rather then a new lens yet.

Woody