Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Introducing Robert

Hi All: I am just joining up. My user name is rubbertoe, real name robert. I am on the verge of buying a k5. I've had a couple of film slrs and now have an optio w20 that loves to take out of focus pics, and a Minolta dimage 7i that loves to take only 4 or 5 pics per set of charged batterys. I have been scouring utube for info on the k5 and the dpreview forum as well. I feel it's time for me to have a really good camera now. I will go with the 18-55 kit from Amazon or Adorama and use that lens while I learn the camera. I want to do outdoor macro and am thinking of the pentax 100 f2.8.
Any way I hope this fulfills my introduction here, and maybe down the road I will have something to contribute. I am a woodworker, boatbuilder, guitar maker and player and live in Mendocino, Ca. Thanks.

10-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Robert
Welcome to the Forum. This is a great palce to read infos, to meet other people from all over the worls, to buy 2nd hand gears (eg lenses) at competitive prices from people who are trusted among their community.

We look ofrward to see your your shots that you can simply post at Post your Photo.
10-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #3

Hi Robert, welcome along. I'm sure you will love the K5 when you get one.

Woody
10-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Welcome to the club!

10-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome rubbertoe !!! I'm a big fan too
10-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #6

Hey rubbertoe
Welcome! Be sure you do your homework regarding serial numbers and the infamous stain issue. I made sure my local outlet got one for me that wasa 401XXXX. Before you take a single shot update the firmware (free download on pentaximaging.com), and fully charge the battery. My sales rep at Hunt's in Melrose MA recommended I do this and I had no problems whatsoever.
10-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi An3ony: The flash gave you some redeye in the avatar. I am living in the sticks and will be ordering my camera online, probably adorama. Is there some minimum serial # I should ask them for? Don't know if they will look at serial numbers for me but I will try.
10-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Serial number can be quite irelevant. They don't seem to reflect the order of manufacture! Anything you get from Adorama should be recent stock and will be OK. If trouble does arise utilise their return policy or Pentax's warranty.
Enjoy; the K5 is a lot of fun.

10-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rubbertoe Quote
Hi An3ony: The flash gave you some redeye in the avatar. I am living in the sticks and will be ordering my camera online, probably adorama. Is there some minimum serial # I should ask them for? Don't know if they will look at serial numbers for me but I will try.
Don't worry about the serial number. As for the stains, what you want to know is the manufacture date and it's unlikely Any seller is going to be able to tell you that. They've been recycling camera bodies for quite some time, I'm sure. When you buy from Adorama, just add the Pentax 2 year extended for $20.