Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2011, 05:50 AM   #1

Warranty for K5

Does anyone know if the extended warranty for the K5 is transferable? I called Pentax and the person I talked to told me that it was only good for the original purchaser and the only warranty that will transfer is the one year one.

This will make a big difference for me in buying a used K5 over a new one considering the potential for issues this model has. The K5 seems like a poor gamble without the extended warranty.

Tom

10-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
That is how I would translate it myself. I'would not buy warranty-challenging things second hand.
10-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #3

Yea, it is a poor gamble - you only have whatever is left on the 1 yr original purchase warranty. Personally I would never by a Pentax DSLR without an extended warranty (1 yr. in USA is too short) and Pentax $20 for 2 more years is cheap insurance. The K5 extended warranty card says it is not transferable. How much money buying used are you saving and is that amount worth the risk? You decide. When you ask Pentax these types of questions I suggest you only use live chat on the Pentax support site so you can save/snip a copy of the conversation in case you get a positive response which differs from what the warranty card says.
10-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
Extended Warranties
PENTAX Imaging Company offers optional Extended Limited Warranty coverage on select DSLRs and Optio series cameras.

The PENTAX Extended Limited Warranty includes one complete check-up to be provided anytime during the warranty period. The inspection covers all camera functions to ensure each meets factory specifications. You must keep a copy of your extended warranty card along with a copy of your original purchase receipt to receive warranty service.

For Factory Service, please send to:
PENTAX SERVICE DEPARTMENT:
250 N. 54th Street
Chandler, AZ 85226

In your package, please include the following:
A. A copy of the Extended Warranty Card.
B. A copy of your dated proof of purchase (sales receipt, charge slip, etc.).
C. A note describing the problem with a complete return address.
D. All necessary items, such as batteries or other items related to the problem.
E. Any sample pictures. Please include your memory card with images that show the problem.
F. A check or money order in the amount of $19.95 to cover shipping and handling.
NOT VALID IN FLORIDA, THE COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA OR WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW

Extended Warranty Statement

1. The extended limited warranty is registered with PENTAX Imaging Company. It is not refundable or transferable and is only valid if received at the same time as the purchase of a new PENTAX Camera, which is covered by a PENTAX New Product One-Year Limited Warranty. This extended warranty applies only to the PENTAX Cameras distributed solely by the U.S. distributor, PENTAX Imaging Company, 633 17th Street, Suite 2600, Denver, Colorado 80202 and purchased from a PENTAX authorized dealer.

2. PENTAX Imaging Company warrants to the original purchaser the product, once registration is completed, to operate according to factory specifications for a period of three years from the original date of purchase (one-year standard + two-year extended). This warranty is limited to the repair, adjustment or replacement of defective parts at PENTAX's option.

3. Furthermore, PENTAX will provide, at no charge, one complete check-up at any time during the warranty period. This includes inspection of all camera functions to see that they meet factory specifications.

4. This warranty shall NOT apply if it is shown by PENTAX that the defect or malfunction was caused by damage resulting from operation of the product contrary to instructions contained in the owner's manual, or any misuse or abuse of the product. Also, this warranty does not cover any defect which has occurred as a result of any modification or servicing performed by anyone other than PENTAX Imaging Company. Routine cleaning and normal cosmetic and mechanical wear are not covered under the terms of this warranty, except as described under #3 above.
5. PENTAX 's sole responsibility is as set forth above. PENTAX SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES (such as damaged memory cards, processing, travel, batteries, etc.) RESULTING FROM ANY BREACH OF WARRANTY, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, APPLICABLE TO THIS PRODUCT. Since some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of consequential or incidental damages, this limitation may not apply to you.

6. If this product needs service, pack it carefully, using ample packing material to prevent damage during shipment, and mail it to the PENTAX Service Center, postage prepaid and insured. NOTE: PENTAX Imaging Company will not assume the responsibility for damages or loss encountered in transit, but will assist the sender in processing any claims whenever possible.

NOT VALID IN FLORIDA,THE COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA OR WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. THIS U.S.A. EXTENDED WARRANTY IS ONLY VALID WHEN CAMERA IS SENT TO PENTAX IMAGING COMPANY.

10-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
That seems pretty plain to me, thanks!

Tom
10-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
Does anyone know if the extended warranty for the K5 is transferable? I called Pentax and the person I talked to told me that it was only good for the original purchaser and the only warranty that will transfer is the one year one.

This will make a big difference for me in buying a used K5 over a new one considering the potential for issues this model has. The K5 seems like a poor gamble without the extended warranty.

Tom
Back in Jan. '09 a Pentax Imaging Technical Support told me via email that the one year warranty doesn't apply to second hand purchases. Maybe they changed their policy since then. Because of that I just ordered a new K5 w/extended warranty rather than buying a used one.
10-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #7

The message 2 above yours already answered the question. Non-transferable from original purchaser.