Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Playing with the camera further, I found that the firmware was 1.02. When I sent it in, it had been 1.03

I updated to the latest firmware. No difference.

So far here is what I have still got.

# Only way to take pics is by putting the camera in LV focus or by using a lens with A ring and moving the ring.

# Camera otherwise stays on 1/8000 shutter speed in P, Av, Sv or Green mode.

# Only way to change shutter speed is by using M mode or if using Tv the aperture does not change as it stays in the smallest aperture.

# Auto ISO does not work. Stays on ISO 100 no matter what setting changed.

# Changing ISO manually does not change the aperture or shutter settings in P mode.

Ouch!
Pretty depressing.

10-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #17
Pentaxian

You have a broken camera, either that or you are testing it out under the blazing sun, in the dessert, sourrounded by bunch of reflectors aimed straight at your camera's light meter.
10-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Auto ISO does not work in M mode on the camera. What happens with TAv mode? That's full manual (put the lens back on A) with auto ISO. You should be able to set both your shutter speed and aperture with it as well as adjust EV Compensation. It Sounds as if none of the auto exposure modes are working (Av, Tv, P, Sv). If you are able to take photos in M mode (non - A on the lens) then your meter is working. Try different metering modes in the auto exposure settings. I don't really know what all this means internally, just trying to help you sort out what is really going on. So that, when you call CRIS and pitch a bitch (I would), you'll know what to tell them is Not working. Also, silly question perhaps, Did you get YOUR camera back? The firmware downgrade sounds fishy to me. Compare the Internal serial number from a recent unmodified photo to one you took before sending the camera in.

10-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Still worth checking the serial number to make sure it's your camera, however firmware "downgrade" is more likely caused by the fact they replaced a couple of internal components (boards) and one of those held the firmware.

If you've reset your camera to default, switched to green mode and manual mode, and checked your in-lens aperture (set to A if a ring is present), there's a good chance your camera is not repaired properly.

Give them a call, report the issue, and point out that after 6 weeks, you can't fathom them sending out a defective camera.

10-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi
Taking other episodes into account it looks more and more like that the re-skilled Sizilien bricklayer CRIS employs still does not know what to do. It is an utter disgrace that the camera was returned to you in this condition. Fortunately it has nothing to do with the camera itself but everything to do with the total ineptitude of CRIS's repair department. I myself here in Melbourne had two cameras repaired by C R Kennedy the Australian importer/agent with total competence, K7 and K5. The repairs were completed within 12 days in each case with total satisfaction. The last one was the K-5 with the infamous mirror slapping.

I guess what I am writing here doesn't really help you but it may just help you to understand that the problems you are facing is not entirely just the camera's fault but to a very great extend the repairers sub-standard skills level.

Tell them in no uncertain terms that you demand a totally new replacement camera at their cost. (postage). I wish you the best of luck.

Greetings
10-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #21
gtl
Veteran Member

Yea. Looks like CRIS screwed up big time here for you.
10-04-2011, 04:12 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Auto ISO does not work in M mode on the camera. What happens with TAv mode?
In TAv mode with auto ISO, the ISO stays at 100, the shutter speed and aperture can be changed with the wheels. In non A mode, auto ISO stays at 100, Shutter shows no info, F--
If I change auto ISO, the shutter stays at 8000. By playing around with the settings in TAv I can take some pics by trial and error.

What I dont understand is why all the modes work fine if I use LIVE view? For instance, I cant take pics in Green mode [other than a black pic b.c the settings defualt to 1SO 100, 1/8000, f32]. If I stay on Green mode BUT change to LV focusing, the settings change to ISO 3200, 1/60, f4.5. In P mode, same black pic but in LV focusing, I get f2.9, iso 1600, 1/80. Both pics are ok then.

I will call CRIS today. Ugh!
My wife asked me today: Why did you buy a Pentax when nobody we know did...
10-04-2011, 04:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

It seems to me that the light meter circuit (which is located near the viewfinder) is malfunctioning. It may have become disconnected in transit back from CRIS.

When you take a picture in LV mode all metering is done by the image sensor and that is why it works. Have you tried taking a picture in M mode, something easy like ISO 800, 1/60 sec, f4 indoors (with the aperture ring on A)? You should get a picture that way (a little under or over-exposed, but nevertheless).

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
In TAv mode with auto ISO, the ISO stays at 100, the shutter speed and aperture can be changed with the wheels. In non A mode, auto ISO stays at 100, Shutter shows no info, F--
If I change auto ISO, the shutter stays at 8000. By playing around with the settings in TAv I can take some pics by trial and error.

What I dont understand is why all the modes work fine if I use LIVE view? For instance, I cant take pics in Green mode [other than a black pic b.c the settings defualt to 1SO 100, 1/8000, f32]. If I stay on Green mode BUT change to LV focusing, the settings change to ISO 3200, 1/60, f4.5. In P mode, same black pic but in LV focusing, I get f2.9, iso 1600, 1/80. Both pics are ok then.

I will call CRIS today. Ugh!
My wife asked me today: Why did you buy a Pentax when nobody we know did...

10-04-2011, 05:29 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vw_michael Quote
Have you tried taking a picture in M mode, something easy like ISO 800, 1/60 sec, f4 indoors (with the aperture ring on A)? You should get a picture that way (a little under or over-exposed, but nevertheless).
I can shoot in M mode by guessing the settings. I tried your settings too, slightly overexposed but changing back to Av, P, Green mode etc and the there is no nothing but a black picture because the settings stay at 1/8000, f32, ISO 100...

QuoteOriginally posted by vw_michael Quote
It seems to me that the light meter circuit (which is located near the viewfinder) is malfunctioning. It may have become disconnected in transit back from CRIS.
Maybe its something that simple but this is supposed to be a fairly semi-prof camera and should be able to take tranpsort in UPS truck...
10-04-2011, 05:43 AM   #25

psychdoc - Sorry for all your stress with your K5 repairs. Your K5 is just back from CRIS and is very broken after they changed a ckt bd but all the CRIS technicians are supposed to do the following:

UPDATED FIRMWARE
CLEANED AND CHECKED TO MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS

You said your camera came back with Firmware 1.02. The camera you got back from CRIS is "your camera" with your original "body serial number"----right?
If it is your camera there is no way it should come back from CRIS without them updating the firmware and doing all the necessary adjustments that are required after the ckt. bd replacement. None of this was done.

If I were you I would call Pentax support first (before CRIS), provide them with the CRIS work order numbers from both your repairs and "TELL THEM" you want a replacement camera based on eveything that has happened. It is important you discuss with them how your camera could have come back to you with firmware 1.02 when updating the firmware, all required adjustments and a full functional checkout is required/standard procedure and they did not do that and your camera is broken. See what they say and go from there.

Also make sure you use the "inquiry box" on the CRIS "Repair Status" form "online" for your CRIS work order to document this problem. Make sure you request a replacement camera here based on your camera repair history and this very bad repair. It will be logged on the form and you can keep a copy and CRIS has to respond in writing. Having it in writing on the repair status form is important. Do this after you talk to Pentax Support and get their response. Talking to CRIS is OK when things are going well but when they are not going well you need to write on the repair status form. It's a legal thing and gets more serious attention and response. It also protects your legal position. You are doing business --right. Good Luck.

Last edited by jcp5; 10-04-2011 at 09:45 AM.
10-04-2011, 05:44 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Pardon my saying so, psychdoc, but I think you're being entirely too rational about this situation. It seems to me some primal screaming would be appropriate.
10-04-2011, 06:44 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi
Taking other episodes into account it looks more and more like that the re-skilled Sizilien bricklayer CRIS employs still does not know what to do. It is an utter disgrace that the camera was returned to you in this condition. Fortunately it has nothing to do with the camera itself but everything to do with the total ineptitude of CRIS's repair department......
Well, the original ineptitude regarding Pentax's ability to send out a working camera from the factory may have had something to do with it too.
10-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #28

Wheatfield- Yes, your comment is correct but we are past that part and in the "how to deal with Pentax/CRIS" and get a good camera before "hell freezes over" part. I am really hoping based on what he has been through with his 2-K5 repairs, the recent one being inexcusable, that they give him a replacement camera. Doing the right thing by the customer can absolve previous sins from the factory but too many companies seem to be only good at making things worse. I see no reason for a customer to be "forgiving" of this kind of poor performance but it can be difficult for some because they have no experience in dealing with bad repairs from any companies service center.

Last edited by jcp5; 10-04-2011 at 12:32 PM.
10-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #29
Site Supporter

First off I feel sorry you had to go through this. I understand your frustration. I hope it can be resolved quickly. A written letter as suggested may go a long way. Generally I have found when complaining to someone about some goods or service , it's rare you get to lodge that complaint to someone who was actually responsible. This is probably a good thing as hell we all screw up some times. I think from your posts and comments it's busted - workable in an emergency (and really when do we have emergency picture plans ??). Over the few years I have dealt with Pentax support 3 times for warranty issue. Most foruntale 2 times the issue was resolved (3rd time is current so no comment at this point) , the biggest complaint is the time - it really is 4 - 6 weeks and with Pentax Canada at least there is no status updates, it just shows up one day.

I could not agree more with doing the right thing by the customer. The retail outlets I make a habit of going out of my way to go are the ones that have shown exceptional customer service. A little good will and perhaps out of pocket costs will go a long way in PR and in the long run profitable for everyone.
10-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcp5 Quote
Wheatfield- Yes, your comment is correct but we are past that part and in the "how to deal with Pentax/CRIS" and get a good camera before "hell freezes over" part. I am really hoping based on what he has been through with his 2-K5 repairs, the recent one being inexcusable, that they give him a replacement camera. Doing the right thing by the customer can absolve previous sins from the factory but too many companies seem to be only good at making things worse. I see no reason for a customer to be "forgiving" of this kind of poor performance but it can difficult for some because they have no experience in dealing with bad repairs from any companies service center.
Agreed, and now his only option is to play roulette with the repair department.
Just stay polite, it might not help, but the alternative will most certainly help less.